DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Much Internet is Required for Activation? Will it work over Data?

dronerat

Reactions
I've read that the first activation of the drone, controller and battery require an internet connection. Is it possible to do the full activation in a remote area with the data connection of your iPhone?

Would using data in a remote slow-ish area make the activation process inconveniently and slow? (Does activation require a large amount of data download?)

It all depends upon how fast your service is, just like at home. You should have zero problem with activating and updating via data.

If you have cell service with consistent data, you should be fine. It's not a ton of data, but an inconsistent connection will make the process really tedious. I always connect my controller (I use the Smart Controller) to the internet the night before a flight just to make sure any updates get downloaded and installed. And then I make sure to boot up the drone and connect everything to the internet after a firmware update, as the drone will probably need an internet connection then.

I have Verizon (which I hate) and if I don't have at least "LTE" showing (but not "extended LTE" which for me seems to not really be service at all), downloading anything, even small files, is basically not going to work. So if you think your connection will be dodgy, best to do the activation and all that stuff before you leave town.

Also, your phone can be used as a "hot spot" wifi in remote areas. If you've never done it, there's how-to on YouTube.

Reactions: maggior

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman