DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much storage does one need?

SoCalSteve

Reactions
I'm looking at being out of town for a month. During this time I'll be visiting place I've never been before and of course catching as much aerial footage as possible. Im sure I wont film every day, but most days I'm expecting to eat through my 3 batteries and I'm wondering how much storage space I should expect to use.

I hoping to get away with not having to take a computer with me, but I'm not sure how viable that is without buying a dozen SD cards.

I am assuming I can get almost 6 hours with a 128GB card at 2.7k video. So maybe I'd need 4 of those...

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

I'm looking at being out of town for a month. During this time I'll be visiting place I've never been before and of course catching as much aerial footage as possible. Im sure I wont film every day, but most days I'm expecting to eat through my 3 batteries and I'm wondering how much storage space I should expect to use.

I hoping to get away with not having to take a computer with me, but I'm not sure how viable that is without buying a dozen SD cards.

I am assuming I can get almost 6 hours with a 128GB card at 2.7k video. So maybe I'd need 4 of those...

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?
2.7K @ 30fps is about 400mb per minute checking some of my last files. Even if you continuously filmed for all 3 batteries (about 75 minutes) that is about 30GB per day, just depends on how many days you will be flying, if you flew every day you would need 7 cards. Do you have a laptop available to just copy the files off at the end of each day?

Reactions: Thomas B and ZX14-R
If your flying an android device you should be able to use an otg cable and hub to copy SD cards to a portable HD (from the SD slot to HD without hub). IPad Pro with suitable adapter and iPad iOS is a great solution also. WD makes wifi portable NAS with SD slot- you can even do auto transfer to internal drive from SD just with the device.

This is the experience of many. The question is- do you want all your eggs in one basket if the worst happens and the card fails or you loose your drone. Many smaller cards are usually a better (and cheaper) option.

Yes, think it’s best to use large cards. You don’t have to fill it up. Stop at 64G if it suits you. But at least you have the option to add more if the need arises.

I’d get a card about 64GB for each battery and change the video card when you change batteries.... After the flying is done, download the files to a laptop and then reformat the cards for the next day’s use. That’s how I manage them to minimize loss of pics/vids in a worst case scenario.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I've got 2 x 128 GB but I'm not really doing any video stuff.
Panoramas do need a considerable amount of data nonetheless, the 2nd card is just in case when I am abroad.

But there's never enough space, is there? Just intermediate steps to the next size! ;)

Reactions: ff22 and SoCalSteve
Great info and advice, I'm just trying to avoid having to take the laptop.

Great info and advice, I'm just trying to avoid having to take the laptop.
There are Portable STORAGE devices where you can copy sd-cards or thumbdrives. In the past I've read reviews. Some are easier to use with small lcd screens showing the process. But then you are back to one backup in case of issues.

Here's an example from a quick google. But will fat32 allow larger video file storage? I don't recall limitations.

Last edited:

I have one of these. Insert mem card in the field and it automatically loads everything onto the drive.

I have one of these. Insert mem card in the field and it automatically loads everything onto the drive.
That’s the one I was referring to in my response. I should have added that not only does it work well- you can connect to it with your phone or tablet over wifi to check if your files have transferred correctly to the internal hard drive.

My solution for traveling is with a laptop and 2 portable usb drives. Every night I off load the footage to both hard drives and review it. I carry 2 64 GB type 3 cards. I am oly using one at a time. The other is a backup in case one fails.

Once I get the day’s shooting backed up to each hard drive, I erase that day’s card and am ready for the next day.

When flying, I have one HD with me as part of my carry-on luggage, and the other had in my luggage.

I do essentially the same with my still camera images, so that the entire trip is always covered twice.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
There are Portable STORAGE devices where you can copy sd-cards or thumbdrives. In the past I've read reviews. Some are easier to use with small lcd screens showing the process. But then you are back to one backup in case of issues.
The so called single backup is actually the only original, once the microSD has been copied to it and cleared. However, that one copy on a portable storage device which is always on the ground is far better than flying all your originals around in the air on a large microSD card! ;)

Very mixed reviews on Amazon US. With about 25% rating it a ONE! But others really like it.

I have tended to use larger thumb drives or micro sd card and my tablet for multiple backups of photos and shorter videos. The drone has not gone on any extended trips. But I've now got the Osmo Action Camera and three longer trips coming up in the next 6 months and will possibly have gigabytes of videos.

That’s the one I was referring to in my response. I should have added that not only does it work well- you can connect to it with your phone or tablet over wifi to check if your files have transferred correctly to the internal hard drive.
This looks like a great option. Otherwise, I was thinking of trying to upload everything to my Google Drive every evening. I'm not sure how long it takes to transfer 100GB over Wi-Fi in someplace like Dubravnick or Brno.

Costco sells 2 x 128 GB for a great price. I think it is a sign
I just picked up one of those for $44.99 not including tax yesterday! I'm taking a trip soon and also thought about picking up a bunch of smaller, maybe 32 Gb, cards but I'm lazy so will hope not to lose my drone+cards!

Costco sells 2 x 128 GB for a great price. I think it is a sign
Thanks for the tip, picked up a pair of pairs. After 3 days in Europe it'll be more than enough unless I get crazy about filming a ton more!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hidnflagn