DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often do you fly Mavic?

ive had mine since dec 2nd,ill be going on my first flight around march when the weather breaks,i work in the cold,cant see playing in it.

Bought the Mavic. First 2-3 weeks flew it everywhere, took a lot of videos and photos. After that is it just sitting on a shelf. I still fly it when I go to a new hiking place or something like that but it doesn't happen often, and, in truth, there is not much use for the videos I shoot with it.
So, how often do you fly and where (new places, something unsual, etc)?
once a day when i'm working and twice a day on weekend days if I can.

I keep an eye on cloud conditions and toss my mavic up anytime a sunrise or sunset looks promising. Between those, and all of the construction sites in my area, my bug goes up an average of every other day to explore and document the changing scenery around my town and state university.

Buy yourself a compact case to get more out of your drone! While they aren't the kind of protection for luggage handlers at an airport, for example, having a small case means I can easily always take it with me in the car when I go on trips out of town, to church, to the grocery store, etc. Many times I'll walk out of walmart or my friend's house and see an amazing sunset. within 60 seconds of getting to my car, I'm taking pictures and enjoying a flight. There are cases that fit the mavic, controller, extra batteries, and general storage for accessories that let me conveniently fly from any location.

Happy flights! :)

Reactions: born2drone
This weather sucks here is 19075. I've had my (2nd) Mavic out once in the last 10 days. Flew it for about 5 minutes just to make sure everything was working. The temps won't get past freezing here for maybe the next 9-10

Received as a gift
Mavic Pro May 2017
Yup flew it the other day..
Cold,Dark,Snowing lite Wind,Half dead batteries,

You know what.... didn't matter had a great time.!
Do I fly mavic every day/week...No.
Sometime it's ok to set Mavic down Give it a rest.!
Pick it up Refreshed not Stressed.

...................................cR

Flew it 3 times today... but that doesn't count, I'm a newb. :) I plan to take this bird out when my Wife and I go Wheeling in our Jeep. Plenty of cool stuff to see here in the Arizona desert. (Which is why I asked Santa Wifey to buy it for me). Thumbswayup

Reactions: born2drone
Going out to the West Country in Queensland Australia, and can’t wait to see what I can film...batteries on charge for another episode of “Awesome Mavicness”

Reactions: ssvdh66
I fly Mavic and Phantom 3 standard every couple of days on average. I think the 10-20 minutes practice a day is making piloting easier and more instinctive. Sometimes I fly a racer to practice with no gps or altitude hold assistance for fun and practice.

I do like to fly in new locations (I'm in Perth Western Australia). Take pictures more than videos and post them on Google Maps so maybe they might be useful for others.

I WISH I had time to fly it more than I do, but at least one or two days a week for me.

Try incorporating it into your hobbies or something you enjoy. For example, if you like to hike, not only fly it when you hike but join some hiking forums and post your images/videos there. It's not just drone forums that like seeing what you shot. If you like water-skiing or hanging out at the beach, film those things and post them on like-minded forums or YouTube.

Join a Meetup in your area (there's a app for that) and fly with other pilots. Here in Austin the Drone Meetup group flies one Saturday a month and you get to meet and learn from a wide variety of folks with a wide variety of machines, including everything from DJIs and Parrots to high-end FPV racing drones and home-built kits. It's fascinating.

Try taking some group photos from interesting angles of your friends or family and using those on Christmas cards or letters to Grandma or Aunt Sophia who doesn't get to visit you often. Film your kiddo's outdoor birthday party (from a safe distance and following all the rules) and share the pictures on Facebook/Insta/Snap. Teach other members of your family to fly. A drone is too complex to be a toy but it gives you the same feeling as one when you fly it. :)

Just remember to always follow the safety rules - don't fly over crowds, over stadiums, near airports, etc. Don't leave that expensive piece of technology on a shelf - get your money's worth of fun out of it. Drones are a blast. Fly safe and have fun!

I can somewhat relate to the OPs position. I took my Mavic to Europe with me. After flying thru the Alps and around castles, coming back to Florida was kinda anti climatic. Where I live is flat so no hills or valleys. 1 thing good is that I live near the Gulf of Mexico so at least I can fly around the jetties and beaches.

Bought the Mavic. First 2-3 weeks flew it everywhere, took a lot of videos and photos. After that is it just sitting on a shelf. I still fly it when I go to a new hiking place or something like that but it doesn't happen often, and, in truth, there is not much use for the videos I shoot with it.
So, how often do you fly and where (new places, something unsual, etc)?
I fly every morning and every early evening here in Florida, its usually gets too windy during mid-day.

Unfortunately there isn't much scenery where I live, thus I have to drive 2+ hours to capture any decent footage. With that said, I usually "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" and toss the Mavic in the saddlebag of my Harley and take off for a weekend long ride.

I'm on vacation this week and have flown it almost every day. But usually I've got too much going on in my life to be doing that. I've bought my mavic little over a month ago and I've surprised myself by only crashing it once (trying to fly indoors). I'd like to put in more flying hours but then I'd have to cut down on the editing which, as it is, is almost at zero level. I think for 2018 I should try to use my time more wisely

I fly 4 times a week normally, I have watched several YouTube videos to learn how to improve camera and video settings. I look at the Mavic as a flying camera.

As often as I can, nearly every day, changing daytimes, changing locations, changing weathers. It is astonishing under what circumstances the Mavic pro can fly. Only thing I am missing is a good night vision. Living in South Korea there are plenty of sceneries. Waiting for springtime now, when there are more colors, now in winter, it is a little bit cold and the colors aren't so bright here...
After that I am now completing my skills in the post production of the movies, that means the cutting and finding the right music, because seeing movies without a tone quickly gets boring. -sorry for my bad English but I think it is understandible...

Last edited:
I try to fly once a week, I've got 3 batteries so about an hour of flying taking into account my 30percent safety margin. Between the kids and wife my time to go droning is limited but I research potential flight locations on Google Maps. Living in Canberra, Australia there's plenty of interesting flying locations within 1hrs drive including the remains of 2 old Apollo era NASA tracking stations. I take video of pretty much every flight too as often too busy focussing on flying to enjoy the scenery. I think also that the mp is that good that it could easily pay for itself on a very few flights where you get priceless footage even if you don't get to fly daily.

3 or 4 times a week, weather permitting. But for the last week and a half the temp+wind chill has been in the -30 degrees F, so haven't, starting to go into withdraw. Beginning to hate winter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661