DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How quickly do you deploy your drone?

Hello all,

Here’s a question that’s been on my mind for a while. How quickly/easily do you deploy your drones?

When I first bought my Mini 2, I had in mind that I would be taking it with me on my motorcycle trips and deploy it from time to time to film my riding buddies, interesting views en route etc.

However, what really ended happening though was that it takes me absolutely forever to deploy the drone. I need to unpack it, remove the propeller holder and gimbal cover, Unfold the arms, attach and hook up the phone to the remote, screw in the remote sticks, power everything up, fire up the app.. you know the drill.
To make things worse, because the drone feels so delicate/easy to break I am being veeeery careful while handling it, especially propellers and gimbal.

To cut a long story short, with all this procedure I find it pretty much impossible/impractical to simply stop roadside and film my mates while they make a pass or when we take a break.

Compounding this problem is my general aversion to attracting attention which makes it harder and harder to go out and fly the drone in general, especially in nice settings, like a quaint little seaside village or something. When I see people around I practically hide the DJI bag under my arm and tell myself all kinds of excuses to avoid flying.

To cut a long story short, this deployment problem (and extreme shyness to fly the drone in general) has resulted in the poor M2 having had two (!) flights in about a year since I got it brand new.

How do you all cope with the deployment of your drones? Do you find it easy to fly and if so, how quickly do you get them up in the air? Any ideas/tips how to make the whole procedure easier?

Thanks and fly safe!
Nick
I think you will feel more at ease the more you fly. I've been taking it easy for the first week with my Mini 2, and I'm getting better and better at pushing the right buttons, in the right order. When I finally update it to the controller, and those props do a little wiggle. I know I'm ready. I am keeping the 360 deg guard in place for now, until I can trust myself to not run into things. The one thing that is missing is the sensors for obstructions. It would help if I didn't have to worry about it suddenly hopping over the fence into a neighbor's yard.
Just ordered a Kindle Fire tablet. I think this may work in place of the phone (my Galaxy S7 works with DJI Fly, but I need (at the age of 73) a bigger screen.
Ken

Reactions: LoudThunder
It’s not about “hurrying”, this thread is about how quickly the OP can get his drone in the air in circumstances!
The routine will be different for different drones but also the Inspire pilot is not likely to be using his Inspire the same way as the OP!

I think some of it is becoming adept at the motions you go through to get your drone up and running.
As someone said, the case you use will make a difference. A side-bag large enough to hold the gear comfortably will be faster than a hard case or too-small bag. Become habitual in the way you do things.

Steps A-B: Remove drone from case and flick off gimbal cover back into the case. Unfold legs and power drone on. Set it down.
B-C: Remove controller and power it on. Hopefully you have a method to keep sticks on, which is why a good size bag is helpful. D: Connect controller wire to phone and mount it. Practice mounting/connecting you phone so you're not fiddling with it at go time. DJI fly should launch automatically. E: Wait for enough stats and launch. Hopefully your settings will be ready to go, so auto settings might speed things up for you.

With a good routine, not counting satellite lock I can get my Mini 2 out of the case and ready to go in under a minute. Another 10 or 20 seconds added if I need to turn my strobes on.
I agree that it takes time for a newbie to find a routine that works. I now know that if I have trouble connecting the Mini 2 to the controller and DJI Fly, it's either that I need to push that darned flashing light on the rear of the drone until I get BLUE, restart the drone, or that I don't have enough satellites displayed. I get better and better at it as I go, and I'm still flying in the backyard. I'm very happy when DJI Fly tells me "GO FLY."

I agree that it takes time for a newbie to find a routine that works. I now know that if I have trouble connecting the Mini 2 to the controller and DJI Fly, it's either that I need to push that darned flashing light on the rear of the drone until I get BLUE, restart the drone, or that I don't have enough satellites displayed. I get better and better at it as I go, and I'm still flying in the backyard. I'm very happy when DJI Fly tells me "GO FLY."
I've been flying for almost 2 years now and I'm still finding tips and tricks for myself in all sorts of ways. One thing that I'm starting to get used to is hanging a lanyard around my controllers and where possible leave the on in the case. That allows the controller to be right at the fingertips at all times. While you might be able to launch your drone(s) with one hand (straight from the case) I can't. If I fly with FPV goggles as I do from time to time the lanyard is essential as I often need both hands to adjust settings on screen while the bird is in the air.

The most time consuming launch is when I use my iPad Mini 6 with my Mavic 2. I have to "build" the bracket that holds the tablet and install it all between the "wings" of the controller and get it plugged in. If I'm in the car I'll build th bracket ahead of time. The bracket I have is great, but comes in two pieces so it can fold flat and go in the case. The bracket I have for my Mini2 is much faster as I just have to clip it to the silver bars that lead to the antenna.

The most time consuming launch is when I use my iPad Mini 6 with my Mavic 2. I have to "build" the bracket that holds the tablet and install it all between the "wings" of the controller and get it plugged in.
I got a bracket because I thought it would be easier to have the tablet above the controls, but it was too much trouble to set up and wasn't any easier to use so after a couple of flights I didn't bother. The iPad Mini 4 fit just fine into the controller, and the Mini 6 is almost the same size so it should fit as well.

Mini 4: 203.20 x 134.80 x 6.10mm
Mini 6: 195.4mm x 134.8mm x 6.3mm

Looks like the Mini 6 should fit too. It's 0.2mm thicker, but that shouldn't make a difference. You have to pull the arms of the controller open all the way (and remove the cable mount from the left arm).

I use a Smart Controller now, mostly because it's a lot brighter which makes up for the smaller display, so my iPad has been retired from flying duties.

I got a bracket because I thought it would be easier to have the tablet above the controls, but it was too much trouble to set up and wasn't any easier to use so after a couple of flights I didn't bother. The iPad Mini 4 fit just fine into the controller, and the Mini 6 is almost the same size so it should fit as well.

Mini 4: 203.20 x 134.80 x 6.10mm
Mini 6: 195.4mm x 134.8mm x 6.3mm

Looks like the Mini 6 should fit too. It's 0.2mm thicker, but that shouldn't make a difference. You have to pull the arms of the controller open all the way (and remove the cable mount from the left arm).

I use a Smart Controller now, mostly because it's a lot brighter which makes up for the smaller display, so my iPad has been retired from flying duties.
The iPad Mini 6 is just every so slightly larger than earlier models. I couldn't believe it when the screen shade that I bought for my Mini 2 drone was too small for it, by just a fraction of an inch. Can't squeeze it into the arms of the M2 controller. I've tried... Near but yet too far, as they say.

But that's ok. Even with the tablet holder, being able to balance it all better works well. Now, my Mini 2 controller, I just bought a "clip" extender which takes one or two seconds to put on and I use that rather than the bracket for the reason you sited. Just easier and faster to use. At some point I'll spurge for a Mini 3 and wonder how much larger my iPad is than on the Mini 3's smart controller?

The iPad Mini 6 is just every so slightly larger than earlier models. I couldn't believe it when the screen shade that I bought for my Mini 2 drone was too small for it, by just a fraction of an inch. Can't squeeze it into the arms of the M2 controller. I've tried... Near but yet too far, as they say.

But that's ok. Even with the tablet holder, being able to balance it all better works well. Now, my Mini 2 controller, I just bought a "clip" extender which takes one or two seconds to put on and I use that rather than the bracket for the reason you sited. Just easier and faster to use. At some point I'll spurge for a Mini 3 and wonder how much larger my iPad is than on the Mini 3's smart controller?
Are the dimensions I found online wrong? Or does the extra 0.2mm thickness make that much difference?

I'm thinking I should take my controllers into an Apple Store before buying a new iPad…

I've got over 2000 hours flying the MPP. I can hand deploy that thing from in its case and flying from a moving boat in the ocean in about 60sec, that includes wearing the goggles too.

Aside from the preflight checks that should always be done regardless, can always get one of those cases that allow for storage of the drone and remote in their already unfolded position.

I find though, that I can to some extent deploy my mini 2 a little faster than my air 2s, but I chalk that up to more or less familiarity.

I noticed videos online if say the Skydio 2 seems to be faster to deploy, but the drone doesn't fold up either, and it's a fully autonomous type of drone (but will not take off in low light).

Lately, it takes longer to acquire sats than anything else. Otherwise, I'd be in the air in seconds, get the shot and be gone in a few minutes.

After all my experience here are my tips (I deploy in about 1 minute flat).
Here is the 10 step process for me
1. Take drone out of bag
2. Take propeller guard off
3. Take gimbal cover off
4. Turn drone on and let it search for GPS when you are setting everything else up
5. Open the fly app and let it do its thing
6. Take out controller and turn it on immediately to connect to drone
7. Open the mount on controller, open the mount, install control sticks, and pull out cable
8. Put on iPad mount
9. Put iPad in mount and connect cable
10. LET IT RIP AND HAVE FUN

Hello all,

Here’s a question that’s been on my mind for a while. How quickly/easily do you deploy your drones?

When I first bought my Mini 2, I had in mind that I would be taking it with me on my motorcycle trips and deploy it from time to time to film my riding buddies, interesting views en route etc.

However, what really ended happening though was that it takes me absolutely forever to deploy the drone. I need to unpack it, remove the propeller holder and gimbal cover, Unfold the arms, attach and hook up the phone to the remote, screw in the remote sticks, power everything up, fire up the app.. you know the drill.
To make things worse, because the drone feels so delicate/easy to break I am being veeeery careful while handling it, especially propellers and gimbal.

To cut a long story short, with all this procedure I find it pretty much impossible/impractical to simply stop roadside and film my mates while they make a pass or when we take a break.

Compounding this problem is my general aversion to attracting attention which makes it harder and harder to go out and fly the drone in general, especially in nice settings, like a quaint little seaside village or something. When I see people around I practically hide the DJI bag under my arm and tell myself all kinds of excuses to avoid flying.

To cut a long story short, this deployment problem (and extreme shyness to fly the drone in general) has resulted in the poor M2 having had two (!) flights in about a year since I got it brand new.

How do you all cope with the deployment of your drones? Do you find it easy to fly and if so, how quickly do you get them up in the air? Any ideas/tips how to make the whole procedure easier?

Thanks and fly safe!
Nick
Open the case, deploy the drone, straighten props, turn on. Remove the RC Pro with sticks already attached, turn on, choose either Litchi or Fly app, automatically connect, wait till drone acquires 12 sats, then take off.

Hello all,

Thanks and fly safe!
Nick
The props aren't as delicate as they look. Yes, get some soft not-dense foam to loosely wrap around the drone to protect it. Of course I'm always flying now with the DJI blade guard in place (of course that required that I register my Mini 2 with the FAA). I'll never take it off until I'm away from people (and chickens) and a better pilot. I suppose it depends on the drone, the controller, and how you set it up, but it takes me at least 20 minutes from putting the battery in the Mini 2, removing the gimbal guard, powering it up, setting it down with its tail to the controller (RC-N1), and connecting to DJI Fly. I also have to promise Fly that I will not interfere with Fullerton Municipal Airport, and I will ask permission before encroaching thereon. When Fly finally tells me GO FLY, I'm worn out.

Last edited:

Perhaps six months ago, I watched a couple of videos on comparing the prep time to get various drones into the air. I believe these may have been the manufacture's videos designed to highlight how quickly they could get their drone up and flying. DJI always lost…

Point is, these drone were "knockabouts", the pilot simple unfolded the legs, turned on the phone and mounted it the transmitter (no physical connection) and took off, these drones were straight Wi-Fi units with very limited range and mediocre video.

My first drone was a Gool RC 161 quadcopter (a DJI Mini lookalike). The video was so poor, I usually only mounted the phone and ran the stopwatch app since it had a average battery flying time of about 10-minutes, but when the drone's lights started flashing, it indicated the battery was depleted and it would force land in like 30-seconds, no matter where it was… so at the 9-minute mark, I kept it close… With a fresh battery, at 75-yards, the video froze and at about 100-yards, it lost signal and just landed…

It was non-GPS, but it flew very well, and it was great fun. It took like 30-seconds to get it flying, if I turned the controller on first, and then the drone, it was ready to fly before I had the chance to place it on the ground.

As fast as it was to launch and fun to fly, I would not trade it for my Mini 2's long and extensive prep time…

Here is an example of the advice I offer to the Newbies who log in through the Pilot Check In forum with a How to Fly.

And I still take my time to launch each time. I know, if I hurry through my system, I'll probably leave the gimbal cover on, I'll forget to snap the battery door close, I'll take off with insufficient satellites, or I may even put a depleted battery in by mistake.

No, I've decided that this is part of the experience. Think about it this way, "It's not the Destination, it's the Journey…"

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermey
My anafi would be airborne within 60 seconds. Sometimes a few seconds more if there was no inmediate GPS fix.

I did use a cheap POS Android phone for the app/controller; it it were my 13 pro it would take 30 seconds more as I would be careful to place it inside the controller without rubbing or scratching the iPhone
This.
I also upgraded from a Parrot Anafi and recently bought a Mini 3 Pro. I also noticed it seems take a bit longer to launch. The hardware boot is longer, the GPS lock seems longer, the unfolding is more fiddley. Unzipping the case and immediately turning on the RC helps. No cables between remote and phone also helps.
OTOH, my Anafi batteries would self discharge to 35% or so in 48 hours making it almost never really ready for a spontaneous photo op. The mini 3 has much more reasonable battery storage behavior.

Overall, the Mini 3 is replacing about 85+% of what I used the Anafi for. Some missing features I fully expected (no permission needed to fly, no lightweight flying without the dedicated remote, no easy screen mirroring, low res controller recording, no autonomous waypoint paths) but some were a surprise (no precision RTH.)

I have been delighted with the low light performance of the camera compared to the Anafi and delighted that the mini 3 matches the low noise of the Anafi. The big 47 minute battery is a huge win for photography.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello all,

Thanks and fly safe!
Nick
It takes me like 3 minutes to do everything you mentioned to have my drone in the air from the bag. I also need my reading glasses and a chair and, of course, my glass of water.

It takes me like 3 minutes to do everything you mentioned to have my drone in the air from the bag.
And you are saying that you have good satellite lock and a confirmed Home Point?

fast.png

Last edited:
And you are saying that you have good satellite lock and a confirmed Home Point?

View attachment 152679
I do. Usally 9 but more like 12 or so..Happens in about a minute on my app. Now, I AM on the south east coastline, literally on the coast with ZERO trees for miles and miles out.. Maybe that decreases my set up time??

About 2-3 minutes, but I could do it in 1-2 on a rush. Of course if the place is new a bit more as I need an extra minute or two to check if there are restrictions in the area.

1. Unfold the drone, start it, extend the propellers and leave it on the ground, over the car, over a table or simmilar, that way it starts gathering satellites asap.
  2. Turn on the controller so it starts pairing with the drone and screw the sticks/put the sunhood.
  3. Connect the smartphone to the controller and activate the FCC hack.
  4. Open DJI Fly, check is working in FCC, check there are no errors, pick up the drone, find a nice homepoint without obstacles near or upwards then launch from the hand so it doesn't pick up dust/sand.
  5. A quick left-right up-down to check if it's flying ok, check if home point is ok.
  6. Full stick up in normal mode till I hit 120m and move forward to another location to lure Karens away from me.
  7. Fly normally
  8. Climb to 120m and come back, full stick down, let it hover, land in the hand.
  9. Repeat or go to another location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada