DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How real is the fear of Fly Aways?

I'm a new flyer with an MPP since the middle of December. Given the weather in the NY area, I'm reading more than I'm flying. However, so far, all of my flights have been an absolute pleasure and I've experienced total control. I'm a photographer and I love the added dimension of aerial imagery.

But I'm reading here about all of these fly-aways! If I was to believe all that I've read, I'd have to anticipate that it's not a matter of IF I'll get a fly away, it's a matter of WHEN!

Is this true? Am I destined to lose my drone? Is there something I can do to mitigate the risk? I'd like to believe that if I don't fly in high winds, or near large metal structures, or anything else I can control, that I won't have to worry about the MPP failing to come back to me. I can't believe there'd be a market for $1000+ throw-aways.

I do have insurance (State Farm)...but that only protects me financially...it doesn't protect me from the anxiety each time I put it up in the air!

Is it really just a question of "when"?

No. 100% of fly-aways and/or crashes are due user error. 85% of them are due to direct, bad input from the user. 5% are Return To Home mishaps from users who didn't plan their RTH, and either ran directly into an object or landed on/in a tree, etc. 5% are due to the user actually counting on "Object Avoidance." The remaining 5% are due to allowing untested, unscrutinized, willy-nilly software/firmware updates.

I have three birds; Inspire-1, Mavic Pro and P4P, and all are rock-solid reliable. Not a single one runs on the latest FW. Not a single one uses the latest software. Not a single one has crashed.

Unfortunately, DJI and Apple products are such that they almost force updates onto you. The only way to avoid this is to set your equipment up to NOT automatically update, and then continually refuse updates. The DJI offering are marketed as "plug-n-play" and "user friendly," but to truly unlock their potential, one must do their due diligence. The GOOD NEWS is that their hardware is VERY well built. Kudos to DJI for a great design team and engineering dept. The bad news is that they use their customers as beta testers for all their firmware and software. Some new FAA rule comes down the pike and their developers code away, and deploy WAY too soon. In order to fully enjoy the uber reliable hardware side of DJI, one must keep a close watch on the software/firmware side.

I will help you out. My Mavic Pro runs the following. I have specific reasons for running the versions I run, one of them being NOT wanting to log in or take "tests." The hacker community generally agrees.

Go 4 App: 4.0.8
Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote Controller: 01.03.0700

Because I have hacked the NFZ limits, these really don't matter as much:

Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05

I've disabled "Object Avoidance" in the software. I tried it for a day and it drove me nuts erroneously stopping for this, that and the other thing. So I just turned it off and never looked back. She flies solid as a rock. Behavior is very predictable. And while the camera leaves a little to be desired, the video and photos are "good enough" for real estate work or hobby videos and/or VLOGS.

Good luck!

Last edited:
No. 100% of fly-aways and/or crashes are due user error. 85% of them are due to direct, bad input from the user. 5% are Return To Home mishaps from users who didn't plan their RTH, and either ran directly into an object or landed on/in a tree, etc. 5% are due to the user actually counting on "Object Avoidance." The remaining 5% are due to allowing untested, unscrutinized, willy-nilly software/firmware updates.

I have three birds; Inspire-1, Mavic Pro and P4P, and all are rock-solid reliable. Not a single one runs on the latest FW. Not a single one uses the latest software. Not a single one has crashed.

Unfortunately, DJI and Apple products are such that they almost force updates onto you. The only way to avoid this is to set your equipment up to NOT automatically update, and then continually refuse updates. The DJI offering are marketed as "plug-n-play" and "user friendly," but to truly unlock their potential, one must do their due diligence. The GOOD NEWS is that their hardware is VERY well built. Kudos to DJI for a great design team and engineering dept. The bad news is that they use their customers as beta testers for all their firmware and software. Some new FAA rule comes down the pike and their developers code away, and deploy WAY too soon. In order to fully enjoy the uber reliable hardware side of DJI, one must keep a close watch on the software/firmware side.

I will help you out. My Mavic Pro runs the following. I have specific reasons for running the versions I run, one of them being NOT wanting to log in or take "tests." The hacker community generally agrees.

Go 4 App: 4.0.8
Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote Controller: 01.03.0700

Because I have hacked the NFZ limits, these really don't matter as much:

Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05

I've disabled "Object Avoidance" in the software. I tried it for a day and it drove me nuts erroneously stopping for this, that and the other thing. So I just turned it off and never looked back. She flies solid as a rock. Behavior is very predictable. And while the camera leaves a little to be desired, the video and photos are "good enough" for real estate work or hobby videos and/or VLOGS.

Good luck!
So you deliberately keep yourself substantially back-leveled in upgrades? That's an interesting strategy. I can understand not getting the "latest" on the day it comes out, but to go multiple layers back seems to be either not getting a fix for a problem or sacrificing improvements. With other software products, I've regularly waited a week before installing a new upgrade - to watch the forums and to see if there's a quick dot-release that corrects an issue, but I've never allowed myself to go very far back. I've taken the same approach with DJI software. Maybe that's a mistake?

I have no fear of them. I always make sure home point is recorded and know how to control drone when app crashes.
I avoid situations that cause them. Like ignoring warnings of compass abnormality or high interference.
gjmphoto, what he means here by "controlling the drone when the app crashes", for example, is
that even with the app down, if you look at the controller and watch the DISTANCE you can move the drone a bit in 3 directions and when you see distance lessening you can keep going in that direction until the drone is over you, keeping altitude at a safe height, as well, of course. This is one of the things that comes with experience and study, to protect yourself.

So you deliberately keep yourself substantially back-leveled in upgrades? That's an interesting strategy. I can understand not getting the "latest" on the day it comes out, but to go multiple layers back seems to be either not getting a fix for a problem or sacrificing improvements. With other software products, I've regularly waited a week before installing a new upgrade - to watch the forums and to see if there's a quick dot-release that corrects an issue, but I've never allowed myself to go very far back. I've taken the same approach with DJI software. Maybe that's a mistake?
I have the Huawei, otherwise known as the Wunderphone in this forum because it is such a good inexpensive phone to fly with. Many were avoiding updates because, at first, the app might crash on that phone. But now, after several updates, it works like a charm, very reliable, bright and dedicated to my drone. If I had not updated I would not have several improvements like the PANO modes. So I always update unless I'm on an urgent flight and don't want any delay for that one moment.

I found the whole hobby to be a bit of a learning curve which continues daily being I'm new to it. Yeah I've read the manual but it's easy to miss some stuff. I get more out of experiencing things than reading but going back through the manual and some Y-Tube videos helped me a lot. And so does reading this forum. I took small steps at first and am gaining knowledge the more I fly. I've made plenty of mistakes but nothing I would classify as a fly away.

I can't get State Farm insurance here in California so if the craft crashes it's all out of my pocket. Any time something goes wrong, the adrenaline flows, especially if it's where the MP can't be rescued from. My first flight over water pumped me up but it's basically more routine now. I don't know what I did to make the controller slip into ATTI mode, but that was a eye opener. Almost landed itself in the water and once it started up it kept climbing on its own. I was able to slowly get back to the takeoff point though.

I avoid windy weather but felt it was a good idea to learn how to fly in it. Wind can catch you off guard. Also I never thought about having to land my Mavic in my hand but the other day I lost the rear landing gear and had to learn very quickly how to do that. And yes it was my fault I lost the landing gear. I'm just now learning to fly in rough hilly terrain after having the MP for 6 month. I find flying in different terrains exhilarating but if she takes off to who knows where, it'll probably be something I did or missed.
There is always that "man thing" taking unnecessary risks, showing off. I am usually very careful but one time I was low buzzing my family because it was so neat to see the "bird" fly by fast and when I got to the bottom of the hill I was a bit too low and, well, you guessed it, a tree was there waiting for my curve and return back up the hill. The drone wasn't hurt much but it taught me a lesson. And yes, you do get that "sinking feeling" in your soul....."Oh, my gosh!!!! My precious drone!!!!!!" Fortunately I was able to get right back up. I later needed a new right front leg/pedistal. I am very careful now. But I'm not afraid to fly fast high above obstacles. The Mavic is an excellent flying machine, very capable and precise, with the right hands at her controls.

High wind is the most cause of flyaway, especially when you lost signal during high wind condition. The air craft drifting while you have no chance to switch sport mode to fight the wind.
What a difference 50 to 100 feet can make. It can be calm on the ground but a pretty strong breeze up high. Very important not to go very far downwind because you do have to fight it coming back.

I'm a new flyer with an MPP since the middle of December. Given the weather in the NY area, I'm reading more than I'm flying. However, so far, all of my flights have been an absolute pleasure and I've experienced total control. I'm a photographer and I love the added dimension of aerial imagery.

But I'm reading here about all of these fly-aways! If I was to believe all that I've read, I'd have to anticipate that it's not a matter of IF I'll get a fly away, it's a matter of WHEN!

Is this true? Am I destined to lose my drone? Is there something I can do to mitigate the risk? I'd like to believe that if I don't fly in high winds, or near large metal structures, or anything else I can control, that I won't have to worry about the MPP failing to come back to me. I can't believe there'd be a market for $1000+ throw-aways.

I do have insurance (State Farm)...but that only protects me financially...it doesn't protect me from the anxiety each time I put it up in the air!

Do they have and offer Anxiety insurance

Reactions: tictag
I worry more about the craft having a sudden death moment and falling from the sky.

Get a tracking device

Hello is their a way I can save the non PDF manuals offline for reading?
Are you referring to the "DJI GO Manual" I linked above? If so, it's a forum post, so you could save the webpage as a file (to view it when offline) or print it.

Are you referring to the "DJI GO Manual" I linked above? If so, it's a forum post, so you could save the webpage as a file (to view it when offline) or print it.
Thanks a lot for the help, appreciated.

No. 100% of fly-aways and/or crashes are due user error.
Idiot. My drone flew away six minutes after first flight. Absolutely no reason for DJI saying it crashed, even on this forum guys changed there minds about what happened. Fly aways happen. The drone is a complex piece of equipment, some will fail. DJI should realise this happens

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada