DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to address this? Horizontal Banding

projectarjun

Reactions
I experienced this on previous drones as well. Could this be resolved using an appropriate ND filter? I doubt can be rectified in post within Adobe Premiere Pro

@1:37

Reactions: careless
I don't see it? Only banding of sorts was the flicker before the shot of the building with flag on top.. That looked like sun hitting the lens glass and props getting the way...

Reactions: Reid937
Yeah, nothing odd there, will happen to all drones where the sun can shine through the props & then hit the lens... nothing a ND filter can fix... filming in another angle towards the sun will solve it.

Yeah, nothing odd there, will happen to all drones where the sun can shine through the props & then hit the lens... nothing a ND filter can fix... filming in another angle towards the sun will solve it.
Thank you for confirming that, I almost thought it was a hardware issue

I experienced this on previous drones as well. Could this be resolved using an appropriate ND filter? I doubt can be rectified in post within Adobe Premiere Pro

I don’t see what is typically referred to as horizontal banding. Can you say what min/sec you see it at? Horizontal banding is often seen in the sky when an eight bit image is colored graded and the sky is changed but I don’t see that here. It may simply be my old eyes.

Over on the left of screen, at 1.37, you see some prop shadows.
You have sunlight passing through the props and falling across the lens.
Change the direction the drone is facing relative to the sun and you won't see that.

• Love
Reactions: projectarjun
Over on the left of screen, at 1.37, you see some prop shadows.
You have sunlight passing through the props and falling across the lens.
Change the direction the drone is facing relative to the sun and you won't see that.
If only we can hide props lol , thanks
That shot was necessary though, not sure how much I could have done differently

I definitely note the banding at 02:09. With my Photoshop images (still images) , I had a serious banding problem in using 8 bit rather than 16 bit (Image>Mode>8 v 16 bit mode) and called Adobe and was advised to use 16 bit. I am not sure how this translates to your video shooting parameters but obviously if you process in a higher bit it will possible eliminate the banding. In your export window of Adobe Premiere, try to see if you set the bit rate lower, perhaps the banding will go away. Just a thought.

Dale
Miami

If only we can hide props lol , thanks
That shot was necessary though, not sure how much I could have done differently
The only way to totally prevent that is to shoot it at a slightly different time of day. You'd have to shoot it with the sun a little further behind the lens.

ND can help with this a little bit, by slowing down the shutter speed. I don't know what you shot this at, but if you can get the shutter speed down to around 1/30 of a second, it should make the prop shadows less prominent. It won't do anything about the shadow as you gimbal down, but it can help either reduce the prop shadows, or if you're lucky, remove them.

Cant see any banding here. If you're talking about the flickering bits on the building glass, thats called the moiré effect. Its quite common across many digital cameras. Happens where there is a close stripe pattern caught in movement, even on items like tshirts. No filter can solve this. Try again with lesser sunlight.

Look at around 1:59 to 2:01 where the prop shadows are much more prominent.
Aah...I see now what he meant. Yes, as uv pointed out they are most likely propeller shadows coz u can see the banding fade away as the camera tilts downward at 1:42.

I personally havent come across anything like this so far. So its good learning for me.

Thanks 🙏

Look at around 1:59 to 2:01 where the prop shadows are much more prominent.
Technically that is not banding. It is, as has been mentioned, prop shadowing, Banding is caused by the bitrate being too low for the resolution. I have never seen the AIR 3 produce any banding after over 200 flights.

Technically that is not banding. It is, as has been mentioned, prop shadowing, Banding is caused by the bitrate being too low for the resolution. I have never seen the AIR 3 produce any banding after over 200 flights.
I agree with you, as I had already mentioned (see post #9 this thread) that banding was a function of the slower bit rate, which was told to me by a call I had with ADOBE support in relation to Photoshop, and I believe it might also apply to video.

Dale

I agree with you, as I had already mentioned (see post #9 this thread) that banding was a function of the slower bit rate, which was told to me by a call I had with ADOBE support in relation to Photoshop, and I believe it might also apply to video.

Dale
It does indeed apply to video.

I'm well aware of that ... I'm the one who pointed out that it's prop shadows back in post #6.
Which is why I said "as has been mentioned" but thanks for that...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne