DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[How To] Capture Raw Images for Night Hyperlapse

Nichukabra

Reactions
Hey there,

Wanted to share a way to bypass DJI's limit to shooting raw (.dng) stills at an interval of 10 seconds.

For those who are unaware of why this might be an issue when shooting a hyperlapse, here's a short explanation:

- Hyperlapses consist of shooting a sequence of images at a specific and exact time interval while flying a pre-determined path.
- DJI has limited Mavic's ability to capture raw files to an interval of 10 seconds.
- With this restriction, one can only shoot 180 raw shots in an absolutely perfect environment (no wind, full battery, pre-saved flight path).
- Shooting raw images is important if you want to have the ability to manipulate the photos extensively.

In my case, I wanted to shoot a night hyperlapse.

The workaround that I have recently found was to use an "AutoClicker" app to click the shutter every 3 seconds while the drone flies a pre-planned path (Waypoints mode).

The app titled "Automatic Clicker" on the Google Play Store allows you to do just that.

Keep in mind that the Mavic does need time to save each DNG file. The shortest time that I have found to work is 3 seconds.

My Process:

- Take off
- Set up Waypoint path
- Have Mavic fly to the first point of Waypoint
- Set speed to 0 kph/ 0 mph
- Minimize DJo Go4 App
- Run Automatic Clicker overlay
- Set corner of Clicker to Shutter button
- Set flight speed to 1kph / 2kph (the slower the better for my purpose)
- Hit "play" on clicker app
- Once done, close clicker app
- Land

Some things to note:

- The Clicker overlay would sometimes cause the screen to not respond.
FIX: Close and reopen Clicker
- Minimizing DJI Go4 app pauses the waypoint execution.
- Know your drone! I cannot stress this enough. If you want to get as many shots as possible, know how to adjust your image settings and set up a flight path using Waypoints. Most of all, know when to stop - as the hunt for that one last shot could force a return home (or worse).

Below is a video that I shot as a test. It has been stabilized using Warp Stabilizer in After Effects. Since this is a test, I did not bother stabilizing using "track motion" which explains the random warp in certain areas. It is a mere Proof of Concept.

That's a great idea! I like it! I've been doing a lot of hyperlapses lately, I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Nichukabra
Hey there,

Wanted to share a way to bypass DJI's limit to shooting raw (.dng) stills at an interval of 10 seconds.

For those who are unaware of why this might be an issue when shooting a hyperlapse, here's a short explanation:

- Hyperlapses consist of shooting a sequence of images at a specific and exact time interval while flying a pre-determined path.
- DJI has limited Mavic's ability to capture raw files to an interval of 10 seconds.
- With this restriction, one can only shoot 180 raw shots in an absolutely perfect environment (no wind, full battery, pre-saved flight path).
- Shooting raw images is important if you want to have the ability to manipulate the photos extensively.

In my case, I wanted to shoot a night hyperlapse.

The workaround that I have recently found was to use an "AutoClicker" app to click the shutter every 3 seconds while the drone flies a pre-planned path (Waypoints mode).

The app titled "Automatic Clicker" on the Google Play Store allows you to do just that.

Keep in mind that the Mavic does need time to save each DNG file. The shortest time that I have found to work is 3 seconds.

My Process:

- Take off
- Set up Waypoint path
- Have Mavic fly to the first point of Waypoint
- Set speed to 0 kph/ 0 mph
- Minimize DJo Go4 App
- Run Automatic Clicker overlay
- Set corner of Clicker to Shutter button
- Set flight speed to 1kph / 2kph (the slower the better for my purpose)
- Hit "play" on clicker app
- Once done, close clicker app
- Land

Some things to note:

- The Clicker overlay would sometimes cause the screen to not respond.
FIX: Close and reopen Clicker
- Minimizing DJI Go4 app pauses the waypoint execution.
- Know your drone! I cannot stress this enough. If you want to get as many shots as possible, know how to adjust your image settings and set up a flight path using Waypoints. Most of all, know when to stop - as the hunt for that one last shot could force a return home (or worse).

Below is a video that I shot as a test. It has been stabilized using Warp Stabilizer in After Effects. Since this is a test, I did not bother stabilizing using "track motion" which explains the random warp in certain areas. It is a mere Proof of Concept.

Looks great. What ISO and W/B were you using with the .3 shutter?

Looks great. What ISO and W/B were you using with the .3 shutter?
Cheers!

The ISO was set to 400 and the white balance was close to 3000. Basically pretty cold as the lights on the streets were very warm.

The white balance didn't play a major part though. As these are RAW images, I changed it further in post. As well as adding some graduated filters from the bottom of the frame to the center.

Cheers!

The ISO was set to 400 and the white balance was close to 3000. Basically pretty cold as the lights on the streets were very warm.

The white balance didn't play a major part though. As these are RAW images, I changed it further in post. As well as adding some graduated filters from the bottom of the frame to the center.

Great Job!

Reactions: Nichukabra
What is the autoclicker app you were using?
I'm using an android phone and the app is called "Auto Clicker" in the Google Play Store.

Unfortunately I can't recommend anything for Apple products.

The app does not require a rooted phone. It only asks for a few permissions and that's about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98