DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to download videos from the Mavic?

crazyrider

Reactions
Hello All,

I flew the mavic for the first time today and for some reason, I am not able to download the videos from the Mavic into my Iphone or Macbook Pro. The videos are 4k, so they cannot be imported directly into the iphone using the DJI Go App. So I connected the drone to my Macbook Pro, but I am not able to see the sd card in the connected media and I am not able to find a way to download them via the DJI assistant 2 app on the mac. I would really appreciate if someone has a workaround.
(In the meanwhile, I have switched the video setting to 1080 to allow me to download to the phone directly)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Islandguy27
What Alex said - in addition even if you could download directly by plugging into the Mavic, it is almost always MUCH faster when using a card adapter directly into the SD card slot on your computer.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I plugged the mavic directly to my Mac using the usb cable, but it was not recognized as media.

I reckon you have to get the micro SD to USB adaptor, your local PC shop will have them, maybe don't persist in trying direct download...

Reactions: crazyrider
USB card readers are cheap and provide a much faster transfer rate than the Mavic does. Some would argue inserting and removing the SD card from the Mavic just increases your exposure to a fault in the card slot, but I did it this way with my P3 300 times or so without issue. Just use due caution when changing the card and you will be fine. You might need a micro SD to SD adapter if you don't have one.

Anyone compare transfer rates via Mavik direct to PC vs an adapter?
With the Mavik plugged directly into my PC (USB 3.0) I was impressed with the speed. Don't have the adapter compare at the moment, but it seemed on par with adapters I have used for other media in the past.

Hello All,

I flew the mavic for the first time today and for some reason, I am not able to download the videos from the Mavic into my Iphone or Macbook Pro. The videos are 4k, so they cannot be imported directly into the iphone using the DJI Go App. So I connected the drone to my Macbook Pro, but I am not able to see the sd card in the connected media and I am not able to find a way to download them via the DJI assistant 2 app on the mac. I would really appreciate if someone has a workaround.
(In the meanwhile, I have switched the video setting to 1080 to allow me to download to the phone directly)

Thanks!
No need for a card reader to download files from the Mavic Pro. Connect the Mavic to your Mac or MacBook, remove the gimbal clamp, power on the Mavic, wait a couple of minutes for the aircraft to initialise and the card will be visible as "No_Name" in Finder or imovie or whatever app you want to use. Download the required files, then Eject the card before powering off the Mavic. Cheers

Reactions: mag1978 and Jurek
I have a usb sd card adapter. I use my Samsung 12" note for 99% of my online stuff. Forums, email, etc... My intentions are to remove the sd card from the Mavic, put in the adapter, and then try to transfer videos, photos from the Mavic directly to my note. Does anyone know if my samsung will recognize the mavic formats and I'll be able to just drag them over? Thanks!

Reactions: markj4
I have a usb sd card adapter. I use my Samsung 12" note for 99% of my online stuff. Forums, email, etc... My intentions are to remove the sd card from the Mavic, put in the adapter, and then try to transfer videos, photos from the Mavic directly to my note. Does anyone know if my samsung will recognize the mavic formats and I'll be able to just drag them over? Thanks!

I have a microsd adaptor for my Samsung note 3 and Samsung tablet and it will read the Mavic card fine. I'm in Lanzarote at the moment and I'm taking photos and videos off it without a problem.

I use this Mini MicroSD Card Reader by Meenova. Works great!

Reactions: bsshog40
If you want to download directly from the Mavic (don't know why) you need to use DJI assistant 2 to do it, a mac does not see the Mavic as a storage device,

Kind of odd that they provide a Micro USB port on the side of the Mavic and it does absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. Why can't you download videos over the Mavic's wifi either? Ridiculous, the software says your device isn't capable of using/downloading this video format. It is. Your software is the problem. I'm not blaming DJI that every high end device followed apples lead and stopped putting obvious ports like SD cards.. that's just a sham.. but you have to know they did it. So I can't put video on my PIxel C tablet without porting the file to a Laptop then uploading online, then downloading.. unless I have exactly the right unique adapters and cables(I have TONS, just ordered a SD reader to Micro USB C). Are we moving forward or backwards... sometimes it's hard to tell

Last edited:
Oneoak is right. I just connected my Mavic to Macbook air after powering on and it showed up as NO NAME and I dowloaded the videos to edit in Imovie. Simple.

Another thing that you can try, is to install VLC Player onto the device where you'd like to view the videos. It will let you decode and watch videos directly on an android device from the microSD card from the AC. You may need either a card reader, or a USB OTG cable and a microSD to ThumbDrive adapter, and assuming your Android device supports OTG (most do, some dont), you'll be able to view the files on the SD, and play them back directly within VLC.

Hello, I recently got my MAVIC last week, I have taken my pics and videos. I found them in the DJI GO 4 App (my iphone), I did not need adaptor neither laptop connection yet. I hope it helps.

The versions in your go app are reduced quality versions ... if you want the 4k file you will need to copy it from the SD card in the Mavic and the fastest way to do this is to remove the card and pop it into your PC or MAC

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I'm getting the raw footage from my Mavic for the first time as I type this. As simple as plugging the Mavic into my computer and booting it up. I'm able to see all of the videos and watch them with VLC.

Using Windows 10.

Edit: It also only took 20 seconds to transfer 1.4 GB from the drone to my SSD, perhaps USB 3.0 was a factor.

Reactions: FMR and Islandguy27
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest