DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to download videos from the Mavic?

Im having the same issue. I flew once, managed to import videos through the USB port without any issue.

Flew again, recorded a lot of videos, tried to plug in the drone in my USB port (Lenovo Yoga, windows 10) and it didnt recognize the drone. The file explorer would open, then I got a message saying "insert disk in drive E:" after the message the file explorer closes, drive E closes and thats it! Tried on a MAC also.... the Mac recognized the drone, I could open the file explorer, but I couldnt copy nor play the videos (4k videos, mp4 format)

I formated the SD card using the DJI Go APP - camera settings and lost all my 16gb of videos and photos.

Flew again - same error......

What can I do? did I get a defective SD card with my drone? a SD card reader would solve this? or buying a new sd card will be solution?

thanks!

Hello, I recently got my MAVIC last week, I have taken my pics and videos. I found them in the DJI GO 4 App (my iphone), I did not need adaptor neither laptop connection yet. I hope it helps.

Yes it's 720p quality. But limited cache. If you want the 4K Footage, you'll need to remove micro-SD card and transfer to Laptop. Now if you recorded sound from your phone, that footage is only on your phone. Upload to your camera roll[emoji1360]

Last edited:
Yes it's 720p quality. But limited cache. If you want the 4K Footage, you'll need to remove micro-SD card and transfer to Laptop. No if you recorded sound from your phone, that footage is only on your phone. Upload to your camera roll[emoji1360]

Like someone suggested, you don't need to take the card out, just turn on the mavic and connect it via usb cable. Your computer should be able to see the micro sd card.

Last edited:
Oneoak is right. I just connected my Mavic to Macbook air after powering on and it showed up as NO NAME and I dowloaded the videos to edit in Imovie. Simple.

When I open the "NO NAME" drive on the macbook pro, I see the DCIM folder, but it's empty. Waited at least 5minutes. What am I doing wrong?

I have to say - powering up the Mavic Pro and taking the gimbal clamp off is a complete design oversite. Seems like a lot of steps to down load video. And...come to think of it, I hate that you have unfold legs to get to the card. This should have been made more accessible. These might be my ONLY complaints. :)

When I open the "NO NAME" drive on the macbook pro, I see the DCIM folder, but it's empty. Waited at least 5minutes. What am I doing wrong?

Hey all, brand new Mavic owner here and a total newbie to drones but pretty experienced with Macs/PCs!

Anywas, Zoomie, I just ran into this same issue on my Macbook Pro. I fiddled with it for a moment and then discovered the issue. It seems (at least some of) the SD cards that come packaged with the Mavic are formatted in the FAT32 filesystem – a PC-based file system that Macs *should* be able to read, but it seems there are some limitations (such as file size).

I plugged my Mavic into my PC and it read the SD card just fine and all files showed up. I suspect if I were to reformat the SD card on my Mac it will have no trouble reading the files on the Mac afterwards.

It seems kind of disappointing this isn't mentioned somewhere - or that the cards aren't formatted in the exFAT filesystem (a file system that both mac and pc can natively read without any odd file-size limits). In any case, if you have access to a PC, try reading the card through that instead of your Mac, the files should show up.

In order to get the card to be readable in your Mac, you'll need to reformat the SD card in a Mac-readable format (HFS+ - PCs can't read this / or exFAT - theoretically should work on both). Only do this AFTER you get all the data off your card as anything on the SD card will be lost.

If you try any of this advice, I'd love to hear how it all worked out! Best of luck!

FAT32 is perfectly fine. FAT32 and exFAT are the only formats you'll be able to use in the aircraft anyway.

FAT32 is perfectly fine. FAT32 and exFAT are the only formats you'll be able to use in the aircraft anyway.

Recommended to format from the aircraft, to eliminate the possibility of incorrect formatting from a PC or Mac. There are partitions schemes and formats.

Recommended to format from the aircraft, to eliminate the possibility of incorrect formatting from a PC or Mac. There are partitions schemes and formats.

This is good to know. I wasn't aware you can format the card via the drone. I might try this and see if my mac can read it afterwards. It would be preferable to transfer directly to my mac vs. using my PC.

If that doesn't work, hopefully formatting to exFAT will resolve the issue. I'm just glad I have a PC to use. I'm kind of surprised mine didn't work with Mac right out of the box.

Hey all, brand new Mavic owner here and a total newbie to drones but pretty experienced with Macs/PCs!

Anywas, Zoomie, I just ran into this same issue on my Macbook Pro. I fiddled with it for a moment and then discovered the issue. It seems (at least some of) the SD cards that come packaged with the Mavic are formatted in the FAT32 filesystem – a PC-based file system that Macs *should* be able to read, but it seems there are some limitations (such as file size).

I plugged my Mavic into my PC and it read the SD card just fine and all files showed up. I suspect if I were to reformat the SD card on my Mac it will have no trouble reading the files on the Mac afterwards.

It seems kind of disappointing this isn't mentioned somewhere - or that the cards aren't formatted in the exFAT filesystem (a file system that both mac and pc can natively read without any odd file-size limits). In any case, if you have access to a PC, try reading the card through that instead of your Mac, the files should show up.

In order to get the card to be readable in your Mac, you'll need to reformat the SD card in a Mac-readable format (HFS+ - PCs can't read this / or exFAT - theoretically should work on both). Only do this AFTER you get all the data off your card as anything on the SD card will be lost.

If you try any of this advice, I'd love to hear how it all worked out! Best of luck!

Thanks for your recommendation. I ended up taking the SD card out and trying my luck at putting it one of those adapter things that turn the micro SD into a standard SD card and stuck in the computer and it worked! For whatever reason, it didn't work when I plugged it in directly to the Mavic.

I've since purchased a 32gb SD card (legit one) and have yet to test it out, but I did format it with it in the Mavic. Hopefully that works out.

what is VLC?
I'm getting the raw footage from my Mavic for the first time as I type this. As simple as plugging the Mavic into my computer and booting it up. I'm able to see all of the videos and watch them with VLC.

Using Windows 10.

Edit: It also only took 20 seconds to transfer 1.4 GB from the drone to my SSD, perhaps USB 3.0 was a factor.[/QUO

So if I understand this correctly, if I want the full resolution of the video, I need to get it directly from the SD Card reader but I don't get sound. If I want sound, I need to get it via the DJI app from the phone but I don't get full quality of video. Is this correct? That would be really odd and bad.

So if I understand this correctly, if I want the full resolution of the video, I need to get it directly from the SD Card reader but I don't get sound. If I want sound, I need to get it via the DJI app from the phone but I don't get full quality of video. Is this correct? That would be really odd and bad.
Yes, because there's no point in putting a microphone on the Mavic because of the prop and motor noise, and the Mavic can't send 4K video back to the remote to be recorded there.

But you can sync up the sounds from the low-res recording with the high-res video in most video editing software.

Yes, because there's no point in putting a microphone on the Mavic because of the prop and motor noise, and the Mavic can't send 4K video back to the remote to be recorded there.

But you can sync up the sounds from the low-res recording with the high-res video in most video editing software.
I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the confirmation.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
omg...

Guys seems you have to try 'Sync for DJI' app (now it is only for iOS)

This app allows you download recorded images and videos just by a few taps. As for me after flying I open 'Sync for DJI' app, choose images and then tap on download button. After that you even can minimize the app. And it will download in background.

find it on Appstore or use this link Sync for DJI on the App Store

I was having a similar issues with my Mavic on my Windows laptop. I needed to get the 4k files off and am working in a remote area, so getting a card adapter quickly is not an option. I found that it was the USB cable I was using. When I switched cables it connected and I was able to download the files. Hope this helps.

USB card readers are cheap and provide a much faster transfer rate than the Mavic does. Some would argue inserting and removing the SD card from the Mavic just increases your exposure to a fault in the card slot, but I did it this way with my P3 300 times or so without issue. Just use due caution when changing the card and you will be fine. You might need a micro SD to SD adapter if you don't have one.

Micro SD reader for USB port being 4k direct from Mavic Air any particular reader adapter ?

I'm really new to the MPP but a veteran Mac user. I've been learning the MPP and dji Assistant 2 this weekend and reading a number of threads regarding transferring video and pix from the MPP to iMac via USB cable.

This is what has worked for me

First option:
1. IMac running, connect USB to mini USB cable between MPP and iMac.
2. Boot up MPP
3. Launch dji Assistant 2
4. The MPP's micro SD card does not appear as a drive and Photos is not launched
5. dji Assistant 2 functions can be used.

Second option:
1. Quit dji Assistant 2
2. IMac running, MPP running, USB to mini USB cable between MPP and iMac IS NOT CONNECTED TO iMac
3. Connect USB to mini USB cable to iMac
4. The MPP's micro SD card appears as a drive "NO NAME" on desktop and Photos is launched.
5. Import video and pix via Photos and edit as required.

Hope this helps.

To keep the mavic off the desktop while wired, i have etherneted a rasberrypi3, installed some exfat supporting software. Used samba to network configured shared folder.

Now i just turn it on and leave it on the shelf while i access a networked folder on any of my networked machines.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji