DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to force an emergency landing.

Speaking from my experience with an MPP and Go 4, you swipe the screen to the left, and there appears a button to set the current AC position as the home point. I'd supply a picture, but I don't have one right now.
Thanks man I’ll have to try it

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Is there a way to force an emergency landing of my Mavic 2 Pro even if it is out of signal range ? For example, I live in a wooded area where the trees can make it difficult to maintain a signal. What if I had to do an emergency landing in a spot where I'm going to lose the signal. Can that be done?
I had that exact question about my Mavic Mini when I bought it last December. Many people reported losing their Minis in high wind conditions. So I did a series of experiments to test what happens if you try to do an emergency ditching in a remote location but lose radio signal on the way down.

Back then it was impossible because any loss of signal would always and only trigger Return-to-Home. There was no other FailSafe option. The Mini would then climb to its RTH altitude where the wind might be even stronger, and then it would be carried away until eventually the battery runs out. So how could one be certain to complete an emergency landing in a location of your own choice?

The first three videos in this YouTube playlist were done back in December. I sent those off to DJI Support and they subsequently updated the Fly app v1.08 to provide a choice between loss-of-signal FailSafe options;
  • RTH,
  • Descend
  • Hover
The fourth video tested the new Descend mode of v1.08.

[...]
4) Set that position as the new Home point in Go 4
5) Press the RTH button.
6) Go get your drone.
As it descends, you may lose signal depending on the distance you have chosen, attenuating obstacles, etc. But it will land and shut down the props just like any other RTH action.
It tested that in the 3rd video and it works well, unless on the way down the strong wind blows the drone beyond the 20m radius from the newly chosen Home position. If that happens it cancels the descent and again climbs to RTH height...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones