DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to force an emergency landing.

davshev

Reactions
Is there a way to force an emergency landing of my Mavic 2 Pro even if it is out of signal range ? For example, I live in a wooded area where the trees can make it difficult to maintain a signal. What if I had to do an emergency landing in a spot where I'm going to lose the signal. Can that be done?

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
With regards to what happens after signal loss, change the loss of signal response to "land", obviously before loss of signal occurs. I am not sure what happens if the drone ultimately decides the landing area is unsuitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 dot menu -> quadcopter symbol menu ->down at the bottom advanced settings ->rc signal lost, the actual choice is "landing" my mistake

Is there a way to force an emergency landing of my Mavic 2 Pro even if it is out of signal range ?
Once you've lost signal, you've got no options.
How do I change to "land?"
Your app allows you to select from three options for Loss of Signal.
One is Land
But if you don't know where the drone will be when you might lose signal, having the drone just land wouldn't be a sensible option.
Do you want the drone to go down into a pond, tree top or busy road with no chance to stop it?
It would make a lot more sense to leave it on the default option of RTH.

Once you've lost signal, you've got no options.

Your app allows you to select from three options for Loss of Signal.
One is Land
But if you don't know where the drone will be when you might lose signal, having the drone just land wouldn't be a sensible option.
Do you want the drone to go down into a pond, tree top or busy road with no chance to stop it?
It would make a lot more sense to leave it on the default option of RTH.

The scenario I envisioned is trying to land it in a safe spot.

The scenario I envisioned is trying to land it in a safe spot.
You would have to do that while you have control of the drone, not after losing signal.
But why land the drone out there away from you?
Wouldn't it be better and easier to bring it back or have it come back to you?

RTH and set height higher than any trees ,is what i would have set. Trouble is, loose signal and you have no control of where that happens, could be over water, over power lines etc. You can gain control and cancel the RTH once you get signal again. Only time really not to use RTH would be out in water, where your home position could change. Just thoughts..............I would not set to land when i dont know where or what it was going to land on.

You would have to do that while you have control of the drone, not after losing signal.
But why land the drone out there away from you?
Wouldn't it be better and easier to bring it back or have it come back to you?

OK, here's why I'm asking. A few months ago I inadvertently flew into a no fly zone. When I tried to bring the drone back and out of the NFZ, it kept getting stuck....I guess because of geo fencing. I spent a few minutes trying to frantically navigate my way out of the area while the battery level was getting dangerously low. The drone wanted to return to the home point, but I knew it didn't have enough power to make it back, so it landed itself. I found it using the find-my-drone feature. However, I would have preferred it if I could have landed it myself in a safe place of my own choosing.

OK, here's why I'm asking. A few months ago I inadvertently flew into a no fly zone. When I tried to bring the drone back and out of the NFZ, it kept getting stuck....I guess because of geo fencing. I spent a few minutes trying to frantically navigate my way out of the area while the battery level was getting dangerously low. The drone wanted to return to the home point, but I knew it didn't have enough power to make it back, so it landed itself. I found it using the find-my-drone feature. However, I would have preferred it if I could have landed it myself in a safe place of my own choosing.
Ok so that is completely different than your original question about losing signal. If you somehow enter a DJI Geo Zone for restricted airspace, the drone will immediately land and not give you any options. This is a safety feature to prevent the drone from flying further into any dangerous airspace. It will not give you the opportunity to fly home yourself because it is already in a dangerous place and wants to get down to safety.

Reactions: charliej and Daza
Is there a way to force an emergency landing of my Mavic 2 Pro even if it is out of signal range ? For example, I live in a wooded area where the trees can make it difficult to maintain a signal. What if I had to do an emergency landing in a spot where I'm going to lose the signal. Can that be done?
You can't select where you land without signal. But within signal range, I call it a "remote landing"... here's how I do it.
1) While maintaining signal and VLOS...
2) Point the camera gimbal straight down.
3) Select your "remote" site to land based on the cross in the image (select a cross if you haven't already). Obviously look for somewhere with short grass/ smooth, no people, etc.
4) Take a picture of it via the drone
5) Take a screen shot on you monitoring device so you can find the location later.
4) Set that position as the new Home point in Go 4
5) Press the RTH button.
6) Go get your drone.

As it descends, you may lose signal depending on the distance you have chosen, attenuating obstacles, etc. But it will land and shut down the props just like any other RTH action. Of course you have to turn the battery off.

To qualify this procedure, select a remote site that is only 50 ft away (preferably on your own property) and try it while maintaining VLOS. If it is not landing where you thought, you can alway abort the RTH.

OK, here's why I'm asking. A few months ago I inadvertently flew into a no fly zone. When I tried to bring the drone back and out of the NFZ, it kept getting stuck....I guess because of geo fencing.
It's hard to inadvertently fly into an NFZ.
I've heard of two cases where pilots launched very close and impatiently flew before getting GPS.
By the time their drones acquired GPS they were inside and their drones autolanded.
But if you have GPS, your drone just keeps bumping against the NFZ and can't go through.
You must have flown around an NFZ and been on the outside trying to shortcut through the NFZ.

You can't select where you land without signal. But within signal range, I call it a "remote landing"... here's how I do it.
3) Select your "remote" site to land based on the cross in the image (select a cross if you haven't already). Obviously look for somewhere with short grass/ smooth, no people, etc.
5) Take a screen shot on you monitoring device so you can find the location later.
5) Press the RTH button.
6) Go get your drone.

As it descends, you may lose signal depending on the distance you have chosen, attenuating obstacles, etc. But it will land and shut down the props just like any other RTH action. Of course you have to turn the battery off.

To qualify this procedure, select a remote site that is only 50 ft away (preferably on your own property) and try it while maintaining VLOS. If it is not landing where you thought, you can alway abort the RTH.
My emergency plan, too ..... ? ? Nice one.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
5) Press the RTH button.
6) Go get your drone.

How do you set the new home point remotely?

How do you set the new home point remotely?
Speaking from my experience with an MPP and Go 4, you swipe the screen to the left, and there appears a button to set the current AC position as the home point. I'd supply a picture, but I don't have one right now.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
3 dot menu -> quadcopter symbol menu ->down at the bottom advanced settings ->rc signal lost, the actual choice is "landing" my mistake
It's hard to inadvertently fly into an NFZ.
I've heard of two cases where pilots launched very close and impatiently flew before getting GPS.
By the time their drones acquired GPS they were inside and their drones autolanded.
But if you have GPS, your drone just keeps bumping against the NFZ and can't go through.
You must have flown around an NFZ and been on the outside trying to shortcut through the NFZ.

And yet it happened to me. I never fly without GPS. In fact, I can't fly above 10 ft until GPS kicks in. The drone apparently entered a restricted area without hitting a geo fence or giving a warning. I only realized I was in a restricted area when I tried flying back to the home point. That's when I got a warning that I couldn't fly back in the same path I had taken getting there. The only way out was to go in a totally different direction, which wasn't helping me. Fortunately, the drone did an automatic emergency landing in a safe area and I was able to go retrieve it.

And yet it happened to me. I never fly without GPS. In fact, I can't fly above 10 ft until GPS kicks in. The drone apparently entered a restricted area without hitting a geo fence or giving a warning. I only realized I was in a restricted area when I tried flying back to the home point. That's when I got a warning that I couldn't fly back in the same path I had taken getting there. The only way out was to go in a totally different direction, which wasn't helping me. Fortunately, the drone did an automatic emergency landing in a safe area and I was able to go retrieve it.
It really sounds like you flew around the NFZ until the straight line path home was through the NFZ.
If your drone crossed the boundary, it would have just descended inside the NFZ.
Comparing your flight route with a map of the NFZ would confirm what happened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50