DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How To Handle a "No Drones Allowed" Claim

I've actually won a debate regarding my drone flights between myself and the police. Why? I had already called the appropriate city and county departments looking for any local laws. There weren't any. Then I printed all the relevant FAA statutes and kept them in my pocket along with my registration as well as having my drone tagged with it. I didn't argue much. I just let the paper work do the talking. It was my neighborhood and surrounding streets at night. I had appropriate lights. I simply gave them all the stuff I printed out and they took pics of it and my registration. I never heard back from them. I also had another issue about landing and take off on the beach, a part of the beach too close to an avian estuary. I simply packed it up, because I myself wasn't sure. So I called the local agencies and city ordinance dept. Come to find out, I was legally flying. The restricted avian areas need to be posted as such. If posted, a drone can't take off or land closer than 500 feet from the estuary boundry. I was far enough away. I have since printed that statute and keep it in my wallet. But, be warned, if an official city servant approaches you, they can make charges up. They can say you are a nuisance, disturbing the peace, possibly being voyeuristic, being wreckless. I won't stop flying if a regular citizen comes up to me, but I sure am not going to argue with an official of the city, unless I have all my ordinances and statutes printed and with me. I would show them to the official, but wouldn't stick around if he or she asked me to leave. Why go through the hassle.
You talking about from this thread "No Drone Zone" on private property
Thanks, I thought so. If the FAA didn't say it, I won't believe it.
Then let’s get @BigAl07 to tell you as he’s up on it all.

I contacted the city in December about flying in a specific city park using this website:

Yep, that's the same website I used beginning of this week. Waiting for response but from your experience, I may not have to wait that long...

You talking about from this thread "No Drone Zone" on private property

Then let’s get @BigAl07 to tell you as he’s up on it all.
Vindibona1 paraphrased someone he talked to, "One other thing he said is that I could "hand launch/catch" and would technically be in observance of the regulation. I don't think he was joking". News to me.

Vindibona1 paraphrased someone he talked to, "One other thing he said is that I could "hand launch/catch" and would technically be in observance of the regulation. I don't think he was joking". News to me.
I don’t go by what anyone says unless I Know they know what they
are talking about and BigA107 does. He will say when he logs on.
After years in these forums you learn to only trust about regulations from someone that has the predentials that know.
Vindibono1 might be right I don’t know but Allen does.
If he says I’m ok to do something then I do it.
He will log on I’m sure in abit and clear it up. ?

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks, I thought so. If the FAA didn't say it, I won't believe it.

I'll go on record as an FAA Safety Team Representative and FAA Safety Team DronePro to say it straight up...

Hand Launch/Landing is still considered "flying" from the land.

It's a Land Use Ordinance and why in the world would merely using your hand to launch/land make any difference if YOU'RE still standing on said land? This is one of the many myths and absurd loopholes people have tried to use to get around rules, ordinances, and regulations. It's wrong on so many levels.

Also someone on another forum "insinuated" that using an automated flight mode would also get around this ordinance since they weren't actually flying the aircraft. Again WRONG! They are still responsible for initiating, over taking in case of an emergency, and any other aspect of the flight so they are still FLYING the aircraft even if not actively controlling it.

So I flew my second session ever from a city recreational park, on a weekend where the large football-size playing field had widely dispersed groups of people enjoying the beautiful day.

It's on a tall hilltop with a walking track going around the playing field:

View attachment 126201

I went right to the edge of the field and performed my flight ops out over the valley in order to stay away from the people to avoid any unwanted nuisances. Just about when I was wrapping up because I was getting a low battery warning, a family came around and one of the children said there was no flying allowed. One of the adults came forward and said the same thing, something about a rule or something.

I had researched earlier and found no drone restrictions for any city parks, and after landing my drone, searched in vain looking for any such drone restrictions specifically for the park I was at, as well as the city in general, but found zero such restrictions. And there are no official signage explicitly prohibiting drones posted anywhere at the park that I could find. My cousin lives down the hill and he and a friend comes out to this very same park to fly their drones. In fact, about a half hour later there were two other people flying drones at the edge of the field.

Either the family was misinformed regarding drones, or they simply don't like drones invading their privacy and attempt to prevent any drones from flying by spreading lies in hopes of scaring drone operators away.

I intend to contact the park services directly (hard to do during this pandemic as they are not fully staffed) to see if I can find a definitive answer, and if they confirm there are no such drone restrictions, how should I handle the next incident of strangers attempting to stop my drone flights?

I want to be as conciliatory and understanding as possible and explain that my only intent is practicing and not to invade privacy by flying over the homes below and being a "Tom," but I do not want to cave and close-up shop simply on their insistence alone.

Any advice on how to reasonably discuss the situation without getting into a heated debate? And if the other party simply would not back down even with concrete evidence provided of the right to fly, would it be better for the hobby overall to tuck tail and leave?

I've tried to be as unobtrusive as possible and avoid flying over people and homes, but it seems even trying to be as courteous as possible, some people may simply not want any drones around, period.
Nice... You try your best NOT to invade their space and yet, what do they do? Invade yours; because, after all, they do 'OWN' the Park, eh what!?. I keep my Drone Pilot certificate with me and inform them that I am following all the rules as set out by the Authorities. And, as far as I know, I am aware of the rules for that particular area or.. as you say 'Sorry, I didn't know that' and just pack up and forget it. Our choice on what to do. Stay calm. Stay cool. The coolest heads prevail.

Tons of good advice for you here on the forum. I would add that people are so crazy these days that no matter how nice and factual you are with them, they may become confrontational to the point of violence. And, as we know in America, there are MANY guns and you never know if some nut is carrying and just itchin' to use it. I am not kidding here. So, if someone goes from "I'm telling you" to angry, then, by all means, pack it up then and there and go. Your safety is priority #1!
And, as we know in America, there are MANY cars, and some nut may just be itching to run over you, or with the MANY shoes in America someone might kick you, or stab you with one of the many American pencils. (Just trying to illustrate how ridiculous and biased your illustration is.)

True, you should not start an argument, try to show proof you can fly there, or have them show proof you can't. We don't blindly walk away because some uninformed persons makes a claim they can't prove. At some pointe we have to stick up for our rights or they will walk all over us.
I agree with you and would stand my ground rather then being passive and having to apologize to a child, then later an adult. The old saying "ignorance is no excuse" might be something that they counter with when someone says "I didn't know."

Check the park department website regularly. When I first got my drone last October, I checked to see if it was legal to fly in the park near my house. I didn't see anything saying it wasn't so I'd go up there and fly in a nice open field.

Earlier this month I checked to parks department website to get a metal detecting permit and noticed that drone flying was only allowed in one park in the city. A park on the opposite side of town. When I went to get my permit I asked about drones. The lady said she didn't know much about them but new that the laws had recently been changed. She did say that they were only allowed in one park.

So in the few months since I bought my drone, the law had changed. When I would fly, I'd sometimes get people looking at me but they mostly seemed curious as to what I was doing. I was off in the corner and not many people were around except walkers.

So I flew my second session ever from a city recreational park, on a weekend where the large football-size playing field had widely dispersed groups of people enjoying the beautiful day.

View attachment 126201

I went right to the edge of the field and performed my flight ops out over the valley in order to stay away from the people to avoid any unwanted nuisances. Just about when I was wrapping up because I was getting a low battery warning, a family came around and one of the children said there was no flying allowed. One of the adults came forward and said the same thing, something about a rule or something.

I had researched earlier and found no drone restrictions for any city parks, and after landing my drone, searched in vain looking for any such drone restrictions specifically for the park I was at, as well as the city in general, but found zero such restrictions. And there are no official signage explicitly prohibiting drones posted anywhere at the park that I could find. My cousin lives down the hill and he and a friend comes out to this very same park to fly their drones. In fact, about a half hour later there were two other people flying drones at the edge of the field.

Either the family was misinformed regarding drones, or they simply don't like drones invading their privacy and attempt to prevent any drones from flying by spreading lies in hopes of scaring drone operators away.

I intend to contact the park services directly (hard to do during this pandemic as they are not fully staffed) to see if I can find a definitive answer, and if they confirm there are no such drone restrictions, how should I handle the next incident of strangers attempting to stop my drone flights?

I want to be as conciliatory and understanding as possible and explain that my only intent is practicing and not to invade privacy by flying over the homes below and being a "Tom," but I do not want to cave and close-up shop simply on their insistence alone.

Any advice on how to reasonably discuss the situation without getting into a heated debate? And if the other party simply would not back down even with concrete evidence provided of the right to fly, would it be better for the hobby overall to tuck tail and leave?

I've tried to be as unobtrusive as possible and avoid flying over people and homes, but it seems even trying to be as courteous as possible, some people may simply not want any drones around, period.
First, interrupting a pilot with a drone in the air is a crime. As far as I know, you can fly in any place not State or National Park land in Maryland. One law is on the books and that law says no local laws can be put on the books.

Hehe, so true...
The bar for bystanders is always set to the lowest notch on the pole.... I wouldn't expect them to try to decypher the facts of any situation no matter how straightforward or simple. Its why I never ever fly when a "bystander" is with in miles just not worth the numbing interaction.

View attachment 126201

I would get a written reply from the county or parks director and carry it with me to show other people. Consider even laminating it to keep it in good condition. Send everyone an EMail with your question.

4 years 600+ flights later only 1 "incident". I told him I'm well within my rights and if he doesn't like it he can call the cops or scram. Drove off and left me alone.

Reactions: pinballwiz86
Keep in mind that while the local government has no jurisdiction over the airspace, they do have it on the land they control. They can prohibit you from operating the drone while on their property. One example: I wanted to get shots of a Civil War area bridge on state park land which prohibited operating a drone from the premises. I got a friend of mine to stand on the bridge with a phone, as an observer, and launched and recovered from a private residence about a km away.

Reactions: pinballwiz86
Keep in mind that while the local government has no jurisdiction over the airspace, they do have it on the land they control. They can prohibit you from operating the drone while on their property. One example: I wanted to get shots of a Civil War area bridge on state park land which prohibited operating a drone from the premises. I got a friend of mine to stand on the bridge with a phone, as an observer, and launched and recovered from a private residence about a km away.
Not trying to go off topic but just so you know your friend in your situation there did not count as an observer. ?

Reactions: Thomas B
That's essentially what I said, "Thanks, I didn't know that," then continued with landing my drone (which I had to reacquire its location visually as I lost sight of it during the discussion) as they walked away. I didn't say I was quitting nor leaving, and simply sat down on the bench next to me to apply Google-fu for evidence of such claim.
is it bad that i would have simply lied, back at him? chances are, he was talking out of his (Mod Removed Language)i would have claimed that i'd already contacted the city and informed that no such restrictions were in place for this park. and continued to fly....

Last edited by a moderator:
"I checked with the authorities and the said this location is ok for drones. Please call them if you want to check."

If they ask who, respond based on your locale - "sheriff/police/parks dept etc"
Parks dept is especially good if it is a weekend.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters