Join Us Now

How to handle ahole bystanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAVNV

Reactions
bystander: "you cant fly here"

pilot: (focused on piloting, put finger up in command) "One moment"

stay focused on maintaining control of your aircraft, say nothing else.

bystander: "im calling the police."

pilot: "oh i understand the perception of drones flying around!"

"my pilot number is (faa registration number) be sure to make that available to them when calling, im standing on (x) property (be sure you are in the right before flying anywhere.)

continue to focus on flying, and be quiet! focus on your AC! if you have any confrontation from there they are imepeding your focus of controlling your aircraft, let them know that, and to call the police.

this works for me 90% of the time, and being completely legal and professional if the police do arrive, will show you have an expert level understanding of what you are doing, explain it properly, and you will become an educator for others.

recreational flying will not be available in a couple years due to commercial regulation of automated deliveries from amazon and resturants soon, agl <400

my .02

I try to fly from remote areas away from public view. I use the Mavic’s range to get the shot. They may see the drone; just not the operator. Fly stealthily.

I do the same. And honestly, I'd bet that most of the time no one is even seeing it. I'm usually flying at 300'-400' up and not directly over people. My MPP is also pretty quiet, so I'm not too worried about people hearing it. It's range, size, and quietness all make it perfect for avoiding ignorant bystanders, especially when compared to my old Phantom 3 Standard. Anytime you fly that thing it's like screaming "LOOK AT ME! I'M FLYING A DRONE!"

I can't imagine police response time is anywhere near the flight time of a drone, especially for a non-emergency complaint. I suspect most people would be packed up and gone long before any law enforcement ever arrived.

The best thing to do is avoid confrontation in the first place by following all rules and not launch/land the drone anywhere near people. If they don't know who is flying it, they can't confront you. Launch from somewhere more discreet and fly the drone into the area you want to film. 25min flight time and many KM of range (with a spotter) really makes it easy.

Personally, every person who has ever approached me while flying has been the "Woah that is so cool!" type.

once again can someone explain to me why drones get the Kavanaugh treatment and every idiot with a $1000.00 smart phone constantly out and in use simply go merrily along un-noticed.
It is simply DRONEPHOBIA, the boogie man with 4 props, guilty till crashed and burned.
I have not really had any problems but if you want to jump my bones be ready for a spirited debate taht starts something like this...Sir you have two options here SHUT THE **** or call 911, you are not the law , this is not your property and the air space is federally controlled and you don't look like the FAA.
Yea I kinow be nice represent the drone population with quality and respect.....fine as long as i can get the same fair treatment from some junior G-man with a cell phone and an uneducated attitude.
Sometimes it pays to be a curmudgeon just to satisfy my soul:p
mikemoose55

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm done being "cool" when I'm not doing anything wrong.

I make sure I'm legal. If people don't like it too bad.

It's all about the camera. People think we can see into their windows from 200 feet up.

I don't have to explain myself to anyone if I'm not breaking the law. That includes cops.

"I've already cleared this with police."**

(& if they want to talk further...)

"Sorry, I'm a beginner, I have to concentrate." o_Oo_Oo_O

**its true, the first time I went out to fly, I happened to
see police & asked, they said simply always have your
FAA ($5 hobbyist) registration with you...

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
bystander: "you cant fly here"

pilot: (focused on piloting, put finger up in command) "One moment"

stay focused on maintaining control of your aircraft, say nothing else.

bystander: "im calling the police."

pilot: "oh i understand the perception of drones flying around!"

"my pilot number is (faa registration number) be sure to make that available to them when calling, im standing on (x) property (be sure you are in the right before flying anywhere.)

continue to focus on flying, and be quiet! focus on your AC! if you have any confrontation from there they are imepeding your focus of controlling your aircraft, let them know that, and to call the police.

this works for me 90% of the time, and being completely legal and professional if the police do arrive, will show you have an expert level understanding of what you are doing, explain it properly, and you will become an educator for others.

recreational flying will not be available in a couple years due to commercial regulation of automated deliveries from amazon and resturants soon, agl <400

my .02

Ironically, nobody bothers me when I wear the dayglo dork vest. No words on it. Just a plain dayglo green vest, and nobody bugs me. I have been flying the same site twice a month for 1.5 years. Almost like clock work, if I don't wear the vest, someone will stop to ask questions. With the vest, nobody bugs me. The psychology of the dork vest merits a study.

D

starts something like this...Sir you have two options here SHUT THE **** or call 911, you are not the law , this is not your property and the air space is federally controlled and you don't look like the FAA.

First off, unless you are riding on top of your drone as you are flying it, citing the FAA rule to total strangers isn't going to help you defend your use of public land. its not always about what the drone is doing, its about where YOU are doing it from. The FAA has no control of where you are standing.
If confrontation makes you want to go all Rambo on the public, dont fly where the public is. its really simple.

Reactions: Zeke
In over five years of flying drones I have always managed to defuse any situation with any bystander, by talking to them about the drone and explaining the actual laws regarding me flying drones, whilst you won't totally appease every everbody mostly they go on their way with more knowledge about drones and the relative law concerning them, and do not give me anymore hassle, the most common is some people think you can spy on them with a drone and thats their objection, but if you explain its just not possible to spy on them with the cameras fitted to drones, show them the tablet screen or phone screen with the drone at 164ft / 50mtrs , I have also mentioned in the past I witnessed someones dog off the lead with the owner 100ft away attacking and killing several sheep in lamb whilst I was flying over the farmers field, even when viewing the video on a large tv it was not possible to identify the owner all you could identify was a collie type dog, and as there was more than five owners locally with a collie tye dog the actual owner was not identified or traced, and when this incident accured I was totally unaware at the time of flying that this had even been captured on tape, it only came to light when I heard the farmer had lost several sheep in lamb from a dog attack the day previous, which caused me to recheck the footage I had previously captured the day before, so this proves that the cameras fitted to drones at even 90-100 ft altitude I was not able to identify anyone.

First off, unless you are riding on top of your drone as you are flying it, citing the FAA rule to total strangers isn't going to help you defend your use of public land. its not always about what the drone is doing, its about where YOU are doing it from. The FAA has no control of where you are standing.
If confrontation makes you want to go all Rambo on the public, dont fly where the public is. its really simple.
Funny you mention Rambo .......often times you sound much like him here.
I have only had two situations one good one bad in each case I was flying from my own property.
You have to understand in today's PC world everybody has an axe and a grind wheel running at full speed. Drones are the gripe dijour , and it is almost stylish to jump someone flying a drone and wear the arm badge later.
mikemoose55

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I have only had two situations one good one bad in each case I was flying from my own property.
You have to understand in today's PC world everybody has an axe and a grind wheel running at full speed. Drones are the gripe dijour , and it is almost stylish to jump someone flying a drone and wear the arm badge later.
mikemoose55
True dat. I had a woman threaten to throw a snowball at my drone last winter, while exclaiming to me just how annoying it was. A snow mobile was idling nearby, over which my drone could not be heard. I quietly guessed that she had just turned off Fox news for a moment to step outside. There was no reason at all for her to have been rude.

mikemoose55
I second that observation.

I've thought about buying vests for my wife and I, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I fly wherever I want and most people haven't been a problem.

I keep my FAA registration in my carry case along with the statement from the FAA stating they, and only they, control the airspace in this country in case a cop does show up and tries to tell me can't fly where I'm flying.

If someone is starting to look like they are going to raise their voice or interfere in any way, I have my wife call the cops to explain where we are, that there is a person that is creating a public safety hazard by interference with flight ops and appear ready for a physical altercation that seems about to occur, giving them them a physical description, vehicle info if possible and then HANG UP and not answer when they call back.

In the mean time, I'm bringing the aircraft back to land while keeping my eye on the person, trying to keep my distance with my wife and being ready to defend myself and call my 2nd Amendment lawyer if I need to. (This is when it would be nice to have precision landing while using the return to home button!)

No one has pushed it that far so far.

Most people take off yelling various insults as they leave.

Crazy language or big mouths don't concern me, but I'm disabled and don't have to let someone hit me or my wife here in Florida to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights.

Maybe that's why people are nicer down here...LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: KG in CT
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members