DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to install Filters on Mavic Air

GREGGDE

Reactions
I have purchased the Polar Pro and FSLab ND And ND Polorizer's for comparison test on my recently purchased Mavic Air and wondering if anyone has suggestions for removal of the protective Filter cap on Camera . It would appear to unscrew ? but is on very tight and I do not want to damage the Gimble . All of my purchased Filters have a female thread so unless there is some kind of adapter that was not included in my
Filter Kits I am at a loss to figure out how one removes existing Len's cover .
Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions .
Greggde

Reactions: DELIOCF
I have purchased the Polar Pro and FSLab ND And ND Polorizer's for comparison test on my recently purchased Mavic Air and wondering if anyone has suggestions for removal of the protective Filter cap on Camera . It would appear to unscrew ? but is on very tight and I do not want to damage the Gimble . All of my purchased Filters have a female thread so unless there is some kind of adapter that was not included in my
Greggde
Check out this thread.
Can't remove stock filter ring

Greggde

As others note, this is a known/common problem. It is screwed on tight. IF you are careful, put a cloth around the cap and use slip-joint pliers to carefully unscrew. TAKE CARE to support the gimbal so not to damage. Did I mention "BE CAREFUL"?

As others note, this is a known/common problem. It is screwed on tight. IF you are careful, put a cloth around the cap and use slip-joint pliers to carefully unscrew. TAKE CARE to support the gimbal so not to damage. Did I mention "BE CAREFUL"?

Before I tried anything as drastic as pliers I'd try the push and turn method. Mine would not turn by hand but as soon as I pushed in it came right off.

Reactions: gachrist
I solved the problem by carefully wrapping an inch or so of masking tape trimmed to 1/2 inch (1.5cm) wide around the filter cap. Gave me enough grip on the tape to unscrew the filter. Low tack tape came off without residue. Job done!

Lots of good suggestions. I'll add mine. I used a small zip tie. Wrap it around and snug it up. This gives you a little "wrench" on the filter ring that is also applying even pressure so as not to distort the ring and make it more difficult. If you wrap it correctly, the pressure on the tail end actually tightens it a little. Much like an oil filter wrench (or any other trap wrench). If it slips too much, try putting a small rubber band on first and then the zip tie.

Greggde

Greggde

Hold the camera firm and turn the lens ccw. If yours is like mine the rim will come off without the clear lens. Not sure if the lens is suppose to come off with it or not. I left it on mine it didn't seem to want to come off so I was afraid to damage it and screwed the polar lens on top of it. Seems to be fine so far. Id be interested to know if yours is the same.

Last edited:
You need strong and delicate hands. I used a rubber band to get the grip and twist is hard! I also had to hold down the gimble to stop it from breaking or moving around.

You need strong and delicate hands. I used a rubber band to get the grip and twist is hard! I also had to hold down the gimble to stop it from breaking or moving around.
Did the lens come of with it?

Hold the camera firm and turn the lens ccw. If yours is like mine the rim will come off without the clear lens. Not sure if the lens is suppose to come off with it or not. I left it on mine it didn't seem to want to come off so I was afraid to damage it and screwed the polar lens on top of it. Seems to be fine so far. Id be interested to know if yours is the same.

It is just a metal ring that comes off, the lens stays attached to camera.

Greggde
I gather your aware it has a ring on the lens that has to be removed.

Sounds like a common problem trying to remove it.

After trying the band and the push and twist the ring to attempt to budge it with no luck and after reading about sending it back to get the overly tightened ring off I tried using the cable that is used for charging the remote/data transfer.

Wraped around the cover and turning anti clockwise after 2 attempts it just came loose. Try this rather than sending it back as who knows how many hours the one they send you have done. Great tips helped me and saved DJI paying to mail it and loosen it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98