DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Judge Winds Quickly with your Drone !

You can calculate wind speed by flying your drone in sports mode against the wind, and subtracting its current speed to its max speed. By inverting the direction in which it flies the slowest, you can determine where the wind is blowing to.
So there it is. The wind's vector.

You can calculate wind speed by flying your drone in sports mode against the wind, and subtracting its current speed to its max speed. By inverting the direction in which it flies the slowest, you can determine where the wind is blowing to.
So there it is. The wind's vector.

The problem with that system is you already have to be flying , where as some of the other methods are before you even decide to fly based on performance of your drone at take off .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Having spent around $NZ2200 on the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo plus some extra accessories and run it off a new iPhone 11 Pro, I have absolutely zero intention or interest in poking it up in a torrential downpour with a high chance of a blow away, also! Similarly any of my other expensive Nikon and Sony camera gear. And if I owned a Ferrari, it would not be doing spins along a salty beach flat ........ ?????????? I will just sit back and enjoy seeing somebody else’s hurricane weather shots!
Well said that man. I too simply have the ability to calculate my own risk against investment without pushing totally unnecessary limits

Well said that man. I too simply have the ability to calculate my own risk against investment without pushing totally unnecessary limits
These are all good points, but your drone should provide some adventures and the Rain and Wind and landing on the Water there doable. Calculating Risks with the Right tools is what adventures are all about. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: gtmoulds
The problem with that system is you already have to be flying , where as some of the other methods are before you even decide to fly based on performance of your drone at take off .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.
True, but it is most accurate unless you have some dedicated tool for the job, like a wind meter.

These are all good points, but your drone should provide some adventures and the Rain and Wind and landing on the Water there doable. Calculating Risks with the Right tools is what adventures are all about. ?
So too is protecting one’s investment without exposing it to unnecessary risks. That is why I am perfectly happy watching other people’s footage on this one! ? But I guess my attitude could be just a little biased if I also marketed drone accessories that were designed for such extreme conditions ....... ??? ???⚠️

So too is protecting one’s investment without exposing it to unnecessary risks. That is why I am perfectly happy watching other people’s footage on this one! ? But I guess my attitude could be just a little biased if I also marketed drone accessories that were designed for such extreme conditions ....... ??? ???⚠️
I think your attitude would be much different if you made money with your drone or used it for search and rescue , or had a responsibility to fly everyday with purpose.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Minimize the Risk to fly everyday.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Well, they make underwater housings for $5000 Sony A7SIII's.

People buy them all day long.

They also make purpose built underwater cameras that cost less, people buy those too.

A niche market is the easiest to capitalize on.

In the first post, the Mavic Air 2 test with PhantomRain jacket, what is that overlay over the video? It's not a screen recording of the controller, it must have been added later with lots of great info about the flight.

In the first post, the Mavic Air 2 test with PhantomRain jacket, what is that overlay over the video? It's not a screen recording of the controller, it must have been added later with lots of great info about the flight.
The Program that was used by Zues.fl is called Dashware which uses the Telemetry or Air Data which is than put on the screen to show on the video of the flight.

Here is a fantastic Tutorials on how he did it:

Reactions: zeusfl
I’ve worked out a much more accurate way to estimate the wind speed in flight using the attitude indicator. I’ve done this with my Mavic 2 Pro.
1. Rotate the drone until the indicator is horizontal and below the centre horizontal line. Now you are facing the direction of the wind.
2. Fly forward until the drone’s horizontal indicator is at the centre horizontal line. The speed it’s flying is the wind speed, kinda like ATTI mode without being in ATTI mode.
Here’s an example I made of my flight today.
I was flying in the direction of the wind at around 25.6kph. Uploading flight log to AirData, speed was determined to be about 24kph. So about 1.5kph out.
5C611023-CD40-4068-9F6F-B5444C9CC44D.jpeg
5CB846B5-29A2-4C88-BC64-92F5512FACF1.jpeg

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett