DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to make circles or other patterns of light in the night with MA2?

d-rive

Reactions
Hi folks!
I wonder how to make perfect circles of light in the night with the built in light. I tried already manually, but is not perfect.
I cant use the quickshot function because it is too dark and the drone will lose target very easy.

This is just a test image that i took._A070852a.jpg

Hi folks!
I wonder how to make perfect circles of light in the night with the built in light. I tried already manually, but is not perfect.
I cant use the quickshot function because it is too dark and the drone will lose target very easy.

This is just a test image that i took.View attachment 115269

That's cool.

I think once DJI releases the SDK for the MA2, this would be a simple thing for Litchi to accomplish.

I haven't tinkered with the automated settings of the MA2 but I understand that there is a waypoint planner for Hyperlapse mode?

Maybe that would work?? ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
I am not sure if with Hypelapse mode it will work, but i will give it a try next time.
Thanks for your hint.

You will likely have to wait for DJI to release the SDK then you could use third party software like Litchi or Dronelink to do light painting.

I did these shots with my Phantom 3 Standard, Dronelink and my DSLR. Dronelink has ‘On The Fly’ functions that will do Orbits and Spirals.

C31ABA6B-612E-41C3-BAF9-CAF107FD0A32.jpeg

Attachments

• EBDFD279-7C87-49A6-819F-4163F9F709F1.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 26
Hi folks!

This is just a test image that i took. I guess anything you take out in front of you is going to be an oval. If you do a circle centered and locked on you,
with your ground camera looking straight up you should get the circle you want. This is interesting I'm going to have to try this.
View attachment 115269

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Maybe try opening your shutter after the orbit has started. As in, wait 7 seconds in to the orbit before you start shooting. That way maybe it will have the right trajectory and be making more uniform circles.

If MA2 has point of interest using traditional GPS method rather than object method, use that.
Traditional method had you fly over the POI to set the center of circle, then fly away from POI to set radius.

I'd do POI. If it's dark, just put a flashlight down there, or something similar, that it can see. Not positive that would work, but it seems like the simplest solution. I've done POI and it works fantastic on the M2P

I did a circle POI 200' up last night. I chose a garbage can that was under a streetlight. Worked fine. So, I suppose that's some evidence that using a flashlight to anchor the POI would work.

Reactions: MA2 317
I'd do POI. If it's dark, just put a flashlight down there, or something similar, that it can see. Not positive that would work, but it seems like the simplest solution. I've done POI and it works fantastic on the M2P
You can be in total darkness for the GPS based POI, which is to fly to the intended center, then back off to set the radius. It's the other POI mode that needs sufficient light as it visualizes the object at different angles to calculate center and initial radius.

You can be in total darkness for the GPS based POI, which is to fly to the intended center, then back off to set the radius. It's the other POI mode that needs sufficient light as it visualizes the object at different angles to calculate center and initial radius.

I think DJI ditched the POI (orbit GPS) long ago..I don't have it anymore on my M2Z but I had it on a P3P, and a P4. Pretty sure as the MA2 it 2 years newer than my aircraft it is long gone now unfortunately. Which is kinda a bummer as it held a near perfect circle, where as the tracked object seems to have a bit of jitter now and then.

Last edited:
I like the concept. Will have to tinker around. Good ideas from others.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580