DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Remove 1 Gram from DJI Mavic Mini Drone to Avoid Law?

• Thread starter Deleted member 161691
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 161691

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a DJI Mavic Mini drone and I've been told that in Bosnia, all drones must weigh less than 249 grams in order to be classified as a toy. My drone currently weighs 250 grams, so I'm looking for advice on how to remove 1 gram from it to avoid any legal issues.

Additionally, I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's legal to fly my drone 3 kilometers away from an airport. I checked the UAV forecast and it says that I'm in a DJI no-fly zone because of the airport. I've heard mixed information on this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

It's a long shot, but you might be able to find the smaller batteries that were designed for use in Japan.

Good luck. :)

Mini 1 and Mini 2 are way below 250g, they are around 240g and the Mini 3 it's around 248g. No DJI drone from the Mini series reaches 249... unless the gravity in your planet is different, or your scale isn't accurate enough 😆

But you can use a file and remove 1g if of plastic from parts that don't support any tension, or you can change some non-critical screws for superglue, although I think it's nonsense.

Last edited:
I mean, honestly, what are the odds of someone weighing your drone? You should be totally fine. From what I can tell, Bosnia's drone laws are pretty sparse, so it doesn't seem to be something they're keeping a super close eye on.

Re: the airport thing, 3km is a pretty reasonable distance, but it's a distance where in many countries it's too close, and in some it's okay. I think in Israel the minimum distance is 2km, and in the UK it's something like 3-5km, depending on where you are in relation to the runway. As much as I hate to trust DJI's maps, in the absence of better information it seems like that's what you should go with, given that it seems to be guiding you toward a further distance from the airport, which is always the safer option.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for responding to my forum thread. Your advice and suggestions have been incredibly helpful, and I appreciate all of the time and effort that you put into sharing your knowledge and experience with me.

I was particularly impressed by the level of detail and thoughtfulness that many of you put into your responses, and I feel like I have a much better understanding of how to safely and responsibly operate my drone now.

And I forgot to mention that police here is corrupted and underpaid so they don't care that much as I think they do.

Again, thank you all so much for your help. I truly appreciate it and it is greatly valuable for me.

Drill anywhere but your props. As said earlier, unless you have added something to your Mini 2, it should be well below 250g.
If you drill out your props, you won’t need to worry about flying your drone for more than a couple of minutes.

I checked the UAV forecast and it says that I'm in a DJI no-fly zone because of the airport. I've heard mixed information on this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Mavic Mini weighs less than 249 grams, so that should not be a worry for you, unless you've added extra equipment to it, like prop guards?

Whether or not it's actually legal to fly the Mini where you want to in Bosnia, you'll have to check that for yourself. But DJI's geozones will still apply to your Mini in any case.

Check DJI's online geozone map to see where those might interfere with your plans. Scroll all the way down on that page to read how the various types of geozones affect how the drone will behave and what's required of you. By the way, these Geo zones also show up on the map display in the DJI Fly app.

www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

With regards to the drill hole in the props idea, I know it was a joke but just wanted to point out not only would it weaken a highly stressed part it would also almost certainly introduce significant imbalance. I have balanced Phantom 3 props and a single stroke with a needle file ( a very fine toothed file ) can be enough to change the balance.

I feel the weight issue is addressed . . . if no accessories are fitted, it's likely scale accuracy.
Try another set (or 2) of kitchen scales, or better some paint mixing scales at an auto body shop.
If it really IS 250g, that is the general limit above many country's rules (249g or less), but as said above who's going around in Serbia checking that ? . . . and are their scales any more accurate ?

Re the DJI Flysafe Geo Map and zones they lock around your local airport.
Is it a controlled airport with a tower ?
Check what the Serbain drone rules actually are . . . in most countries, only tower controlled airports are unauthorised drone zones by Xkm distance, uncontrolled airport airspace you can usually fly without country airspace regulator restrictions.
DJI tend to put restrictions on some uncontrolled airports over and above the rules of a country, but you can usually unlock them via the usual method (see here > NFZ encounters / Unlocking DJI restrictions )
If it's purely a DJI Flysafe restriction, and drone flight really is allowed in the airspace concerned, you should be able to unlock and fly.

Try using a scale intended for postage, they tend to be very accurate.

Your Mini should be well under 250 grams, unless you have added accessories to it; if you have, remove them, problem solved.

just weighed my mini 3 pro its 246 grams but 260 with the FTS strobe yuck So I have to register if I want to use the strobe at night or pull it off quick when i land if stopped LOL

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for responding to my forum thread. Your advice and suggestions have been incredibly helpful, and I appreciate all of the time and effort that you put into sharing your knowledge and experience with me.

I was particularly impressed by the level of detail and thoughtfulness that many of you put into your responses, and I feel like I have a much better understanding of how to safely and responsibly operate my drone now.

And I forgot to mention that police here is corrupted and underpaid so they don't care that much as I think they do.

Again, thank you all so much for your help. I truly appreciate it and it is greatly valuable for me.
Yeah…we’re a bunch of freakin’ geeks. Details details.. LOL

Reactions: YVRGUY
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky