DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOW TO: Request FAA authorization in Airmap

That's not necessarily true since that will also happen if you attempt to start a flight in a no fly zone.
Interesting, that has not been my experience with the app... for instance, if I submit a flight plan that enters controlled airspace for a non-LAANC participating airport the app will either debit me clearance or go into a never ending loop. That’s my experience in IOS iPhone XMax.

BTW, I actually fly with my CS and not my phone.
I have gotten clearance for that particular area through FAA DroneZone and this is not reflected in AirMap.

Interesting, that has not been my experience with the app... for instance, if I submit a flight plan that enters controlled airspace for a non-LAANC participating airport the app will either debit me clearance or go into a never ending loop. That’s my experience in IOS iPhone XMax.
Strange. When I attempt to start a flight in a no fly zone, I see a "No airspace authorization is available" message and am able to tap "SUBMIT FLIGHT" to start my flight (without FAA authorization of course).

That's in iOS on an iPhone XS.

Strange. When I attempt to start a flight in a no fly zone, I see a "No airspace authorization is available" message and am able to tap "SUBMIT FLIGHT" to start my flight (without FAA authorization of course).

That's in iOS on an iPhone XS.
I get those 2 messages too, but only when I am in uncontrolled airspace... where no authorization is required.

I get those 2 messages too, but only when I am in uncontrolled airspace... where no authorization is required.
What do you see in a no fly zone (like a military base)?

What do you see in a no fly zone (like a military base)?
Never tried to fly near military base, prison, power plants. Most experience near small airports or schools. Used to see a message something like what you mention. Some time ago got long term clearance via FAA DroneZone for frequent flights in this area.
The “can’t take off” message now may flicker on my CS for.maybe 1-2 seconds, the all is good to go.

I am struggling to get authorization to shoot near a small airport using Airmap. My request was "rejected upon submission" saying I needed to "provide a brief note to justify the safety of the operation". I don't see any way to do this in Airmap and not sure how to proceed. I am staying under 50' per the map, in fact, Airmap said my request should be auto-authorized. But my Mavic won't take off "in NFZ zone." I'd call the tower but then how would the software know I'm cleared?

But my Mavic won't take off "in NFZ zone." I'd call the tower but then how would the software know I'm cleared?
If DJI GO does not prompt you to self unlock, you'll need to submit a custom unlock request here.

I could not leave the ground with my Mavic Air in an area about three miles from a small airport, where I want to video my daughter rowing on a river. I went home and went to AirMap and went through all the steps to fly. I received authorization for specific date and times.
When I went back to fly I still could not leave the ground. Does the built in blocking from DJI over ride AIrMap? Is there something else you need to do to unblock DJI control?
This airport has no LAANC.

I could not leave the ground with my Mavic Air in an area about three miles from a small airport, where I want to video my daughter rowing on a river. I went home and went to AirMap and went through all the steps to fly. I received authorization for specific date and times.
When I went back to fly I still could not leave the ground. Does the built in blocking from DJI over ride AIrMap? Is there something else you need to do to unblock DJI control?
This airport has no LAANC.

DJI's blocking isn't connected to AirMap or LAANC at all. You should have recieved a message on your DJI Go 4 screen when you tried to take off, with a checkbox allowing you to confirm that you are OK to fly and accepting responsibility for the flight. Did you not get such a message?

Thanks for getting back dawgpilot, I did get another warning and I may have wrongly assumed it was the same restriction. This is going back a few months and have not had time to try it again.
The box we sometimes get has that small little blue dot to say yes to and in the sunlight I may have missed that, also I think I remember it once asking for a pass code. I will try again
now that the morning sun is in a good position.
Thanks again.

The FAA authorization via Airmap only allows you to legally fly in the US. If you're in a DJI GEO Zone, you'll also need to self-unlock in DJI GO or submit a custom unlock request here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian