DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOW TO: Set Mavic Pro camera focus

Except that the subject is not always in center of the frame - shown with regularity in the existing videos. This would mean, the software not only has to track the subject but also continuously adjust the focus. Could it be done? Sure. Would it be efficient? Nope.

Try it with a DLSR and turn on continuous focus, then have someone run around, try keeping them in focus even when they are not center of the viewfinder. The same thing can be shown on camcorders. Continuous autofocus on a moving target that wont always be center of the frame will be problematic.

Unless you were dangerously close while tracking, there should be no need to adjust the focus as the Mavic will maintain the distance (pretty much) you set as it follows you. The rule of 1/3rd in front and 2/3rds behind distances within focus range of the subject will make it perfectly acceptable.

Unless you were dangerously close while tracking, there should be no need to adjust the focus as the Mavic will maintain the distance (pretty much) you set as it follows you. The rule of 1/3rd in front and 2/3rds behind distances within focus range of the subject will make it perfectly acceptable.
Mavic has modes that let you move the drone away from the subject, toward the subject, around the subject, etc, while it maintains the camera on the subject. You would need to refocus in these instances if the distance was significant. Mavic can do much more than a simple "follow me" mode.

Ok, I have had a question on this and have yet not asked. This seems like a good place to do that.
Q: So this is a moving platform. When you tap to focus and then move, what happens to the focus??
Followup Q: if you are filming and tap to focus and continue to fly around, will you have to continue to tap to focus to keep things sharp??
From what I've experienced up-to now the mavic pro platinum focus is a nightmare, I've not managed one single video to be anywhere near acceptable despite following all the tips given on approx. 100 videos of how to setup camera and tap to focus my problem is that i raise mavic into the air about 8 feet up then turn it to face me or a post etc tap the screen in the centre where the object is then on my phone screen tap the slider bar thing now this is where the problem starts it goes from one extreme to the other and neither of the 2 points are in focus? I can't seem to stop the slider at all its either one extreme or the other?
Please advise

P.S. I was pressing on the icons above and below the slider ffs didn't realise you had to use the on screen slider like a wheel. this i hope gets fixed in next firmware update as i think that by pressing icon at top or bottom of the on screen slider should slowly scroll rather than zooming straight to the extremity off the setting as we don't all have large screens the wheel effect is not good on a small screen!

Last edited:
From what I have found, you need to check your focus a lot. It seems that unless this has been fixed in a more recent firmware, when you stop to hover, if in AF, the Mavic will attempt to refocus, and depending on your subject, it may mis focus, thus throwing most of the scene out of focus. I start up, hit a part of the scene with AF, then immediately switch to MF. This will fix the focus where you want it. Do not attempt to manually focus the mavic with the slider, it's impossible to tell what is really in focus, as your iPad, iPhone, etc. can't really show the image in the correct resolution, at least I have never figured out a way to do this. Crystalsky is bit better on this however.

I do a ton of still photography, with the Mavic, and video. However everything I do I process the focus the same way. Use the AF to find focus as IMO it's quite good, then immediately switch back to MF. Make sure you do not hit the manual focus slider with your finger while flying as that will throw everything off. Each time I setup for a pano, (stills), I always reset focus, same process, and then before flying on, for video I check it again. Also make sure you get the focus confirmation tone as many times, the AF will give you the green box, but it doesn't go all the way to confirmation. Try to hit objects with good light on them as the AF in low light is limited and addition of a CL-PL (has to be CL due to AF) or ND will make the AF acquisition a bit less accurate in my experience.

Not sure if the hover/AF issue was ever fixed on the Mavic, it worked differently on the djigo app, for Mavic Pro, but I can't remember if the MPP is supported by the djigo app. With djido4, the focus process changed.

When you check focus, you will get a slight bump/jump in your video as the camera refocused, but that means, you just have to cut out that series of frames from the video. If you do this process before you start to fly I feel the focus will be OK. However if you are on a Litchi mission obviously you can't do that, but not sure how Litchi handles the AF/MF focus process.

You are working with a F 2.2 or F2.4 lens (I can't remember which) and that is pretty wide open, thus DOF needs to be taken into consideration. For it's camera, the Mavic IMO has a very good DOF range, unless you are attempting to bring something from 5 to 10 away along with a greater infinity distance.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: hryzec and Justjas
From what I have found, you need to check your focus a lot. It seems that unless this has been fixed in a more recent firmware, when you stop to hover, if in AF, the Mavic will attempt to refocus, and depending on your subject, it may mis focus, thus throwing most of the scene out of focus. I start up, hit a part of the scene with AF, then immediately switch to MF. This will fix the focus where you want it. Do not attempt to manually focus the mavic with the slider, it's impossible to tell what is really in focus, as your iPad, iPhone, etc. can't really show the image in the correct resolution, at least I have never figured out a way to do this. Crystalsky is bit better on this however.

I do a ton of still photography, with the Mavic, and video. However everything I do I process the focus the same way. Use the AF to find focus as IMO it's quite good, then immediately switch back to MF. Make sure you do not hit the manual focus slider with your finger while flying as that will throw everything off. Each time I setup for a pano, (stills), I always reset focus, same process, and then before flying on, for video I check it again. Also make sure you get the focus confirmation tone as many times, the AF will give you the green box, but it doesn't go all the way to confirmation. Try to hit objects with good light on them as the AF in low light is limited and addition of a CL-PL (has to be CL due to AF) or ND will make the AF acquisition a bit less accurate in my experience.

Not sure if the hover/AF issue was ever fixed on the Mavic, it worked differently on the djigo app, for Mavic Pro, but I can't remember if the MPP is supported by the djigo app. With djido4, the focus process changed.

When you check focus, you will get a slight bump/jump in your video as the camera refocused, but that means, you just have to cut out that series of frames from the video. If you do this process before you start to fly I feel the focus will be OK. However if you are on a Litchi mission obviously you can't do that, but not sure how Litchi handles the AF/MF focus process.

You are working with a F 2.2 or F2.4 lens (I can't remember which) and that is pretty wide open, thus DOF needs to be taken into consideration. For it's camera, the Mavic IMO has a very good DOF range, unless you are attempting to bring something from 5 to 10 away along with a greater infinity distance.

Paul Caldwell
Many thanks for the reply Paul, I shall try this later this afternoon on what will be my 6th day in all of flying the mavic pro having come from dji phantom 2 (go pro 3+ much better camera for ease of setting)! I have done approx. 24 videos in those 6 days and not a single one is in focus at all! Hopefully your tips will yield results or its off to the place i bought it and demand money back i'm afraid I've had enough of this and can't believe DJI sent this drone out this way it should set the **** focus in auto mode so that it is always in focus according tot he centre of the cameras view. I've tried auto focus earlier today as I've had no joy at all with the recommended manual focus. I will do as you say switch from auto to manual focus and see how it goes. Once again cheers.
Regards
John

Paul Caldwell
Outstanding info. Thanks man!

Many thanks for the reply Paul, I shall try this later this afternoon on what will be my 6th day in all of flying the mavic pro having come from dji phantom 2 (go pro 3+ much better camera for ease of setting)! I have done approx. 24 videos in those 6 days and not a single one is in focus at all! Hopefully your tips will yield results or its off to the place i bought it and demand money back i'm afraid I've had enough of this and can't believe DJI sent this drone out this way it should set the **** focus in auto mode so that it is always in focus according tot he centre of the cameras view. I've tried auto focus earlier today as I've had no joy at all with the recommended manual focus. I will do as you say switch from auto to manual focus and see how it goes. Once again cheers.
Regards
John
Well that was much better lol idid as you said and also set the centre focus to the c1 button and videos are much better, once again many thanks Paul

Last time I tried to fly at night, everything was out of focus. not enough light for AutoFocus. Efforts to manually focus to infinity were futile.

How can I set focus to infinity at night and leave it there without focus changing?

How can I set focus to infinity at night and leave it there without focus changing?
Try focusing on an object that is well lit and at least 33 feet away.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada