DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to set specific direction for hyperlapse course lock?

gypsy1

Reactions
"In course lock mode, after locking the orientation, the aircraft will fly in the direction it is facing. After you select the subject, press the record button on the right side of the screen and the aircraft will keep your subject in the center frame while flying and recording."

I am trying & failing in getting mini 3 pro to fly over a straight road looking downwards not sure what I am doing wrong hence my question is as follows.
1. is there a way to align the course lock exactly to a straight road on the map, using the built in map as reference?
2. I am aligning using the crosshair looking ahead on the road but my actual hyperlapse in course lock mode will be -45 degree looking down on the road.
3. Shooting that way my mini 3 pro course actually is not accurate & drifts off the straight road.

Last edited:
Would using the waypoints mode not achieve what you're after? Set a waypoint on the road, as shown on the map, to where you want to end your hyperlapse.

Would using the waypoints mode not achieve what you're after? Set a waypoint on the road, as shown on the map, to where you want to end your hyperlapse.
Waypoint is not an option as it consumes more battery, firstly by setting multi points then using another battery for actual flight. Course lock saves time & can go longer distance per battery.
I need to fly it over longer distance for 30sec hyperlapse with 35 mins flying time with plus battery where I move along with drone., so at the end of hyper lapse I land it near me.

How about manual flying during hyperlapse then? You can set a max speed limit, and apply small course corrections as and when needed.

To accurately set the drone to fly a long distance along a straight road using just course lock requires very precise angle setting at the start. If you're off by just 1 degree then you end up nearly 2m off for every 100m forward.

How about manual flying during hyperlapse then? You can set a max speed limit, and apply small course corrections as and when needed.

To accurately set the drone to fly a long distance along a straight road using just course lock requires very precise angle setting at the start. If you're off by just 1 degree then you end up nearly 2m off for every 100m forward.
Thats what I tried but those smaller correction during manual flight appear as jerks on hyperlapse & looks very distracting which is why I wanted course lock.
This worked out very smooth but only issue is its not aligned exactly to the straight road.

Waypoint is not an option as it consumes more battery, firstly by setting multi points then using another battery for actual flight. Course lock saves time & can go longer distance per battery.
I need to fly it over longer distance for 30sec hyperlapse with 35 mins flying time with plus battery where I move along with drone., so at the end of hyper lapse I land it near me.
The only way to do what you want is with waypoints. GPS inaccuracies and crosswind will drift you away from the line on the ground you're trying to follow.

Course lock is mislabeled – it is actually heading lock. The feature locks in a heading, then holds that heading for the hyperlapse capture. Wind components perpendicular to your heading can easily move you off the straight-line course that would be flown in absolutely windless conditions.

With waypoints you are flying between fixed points on the ground, and the flight controller will continuously adjust heading to stay on the line between them.

Battery concerns over setup and then execution seem, to me, rather misplaced for this mission. Get another battery, or charge the one you have after getting your course set up. For what you're doing, it's only 2 waypoints.

Last edited:
Reactions: scro

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13