DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to stop a "run away" when Mavic Pro is in your hand?

You cannot roll or knife edge a Mavic Pro in the first place, so color me doubtful.
Regarding looping and knife-edge flight, he mentioned that he's hacked the Mavic with NLD.
Would that allow crazy non-standard flight?
Perhaps also disable the shutdown when drone is tipped sideways?

he mentioned that he's hacked the Mavic with NLD.

In post #35, should have been mentioned in post #1 to allow people to understand the drones behaviour is likely to be affected in various ways.
Very probable this is why it couldn't be shut down in the usual manner, or it didn't shut down when inverted as it came down and impacted a person.

for Kilrah,
go to this great YouTube video showing a Mavic Pro doing flips and rolls using the Manual Mode.

Very interesting to see. I do not use this method though. I use the NLD app on Mavic Pro cell phone to fly the drone with parameters which are far more variable than those provided by DJI. In certain versions, you can set the max limit for side angles to 60-80 degrees from horizontal. That plus a slight wind and over you go. However, this method is really tough on your camera gimbals so be really "on the sticks" to put out of roll so you don't lock them up.

There are also "add ins" which allow you to program the rotors to do short high intensity burst period. If you set front and rear rotor on left side to "pulse" for roughly 2 seconds, this overrides the side limits and you flip the drone to the right. Timing and duration are critical.

I don't want to go into this any more in this thread because it is thread drift away from the subject of how to stop a fly away Mavic Pro in your hand if you encounter that event.

Last edited:
go to this great YouTube video showing a Mavic Pro doing flips and rolls using the Manual Mode.
So you've hacked your drone so it can do spins and loops and rolls ... and you wonder why it won't stop if you turn it over.

Meanwhile .. can you get around to answering the simple questions I asked ?
It might help sort out something that could have been settled in 10 minutes a few days ago.

Meta4,
So sorry you cannot read the screen dumps. They are slightly burred on my system but I can clearly make out each file name. The two .txt and .dat screen dumps were at higher resolution. Can you clearly read them? Perhaps you need a better monitor. But I will "resample" the screen dumps at 800 pixels horz. and that should allow anyone to see them clearly.

Please review the summary results from "fly away" analysis.
A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors.

Most fly away are pilot error, but a rather large number of the examined cases are "unknown" or "drone error". I found an example yesterday but cannot find it today. There is a good listing of a Mavic Pro that was flying fine and then took off suddenly and flew into trees and was damaaged. The owner sent damaged unit to DJI who analyzed the unit and found that a compass hardware error caused the unit to fly away. It was not a compass calibration issue. It was a hardware issue. That makes it a true "fly away" problem that DJI repair team has verified.

As I mentioned earlier, I use NLD app on my cell phone to override the NFZ of the Go_fly_4 version. Never had any issues with it except startup problems in getting it setup right. I do not have or use the DJI Pilot app that you referred to. My controller says I have current firmware versions and I am using Go_fly v4. If needed I will power up unit (first locking it to the table) and dump out any controller or AC version numbers you might need.

UPDATE: please do not "harp" about getting the answers to your question that only takes 10 minutes to get. I immediately did the search on the place you recommended to find the .txt and .dat files. But your recommended file locations did not have the files you requested. But the alternate location I listed did have .txt and .dat files from previous flights up to a couple of days before the fly away incident. You said the .txt and .dat files could not have been "non recorded" after I had to pull the battery out of the AC and I did a panic shut down of the controller. I would say that the current evidence contradicts your statement that the flight record cannot be cancelled. Even using a very high tech memory dump of Huawei cell phone showed no erased files. It is my current belief that the flight record never got copied to the cell phone memory.

I am hoping that examination of the drone memory (both internal and SD card) may have the files that we need. I am hoping to do that by tomorrow. My wife has been in the hospital for diabetes crashes since a week ago Friday. I haven't had a lot of time to spend on this topic.

Sorry if this comes off negative but I am trying hard to determine what caused the fly away. By the way, did I mention that the fly away only took place over a distance of about 10 feet from the time I no longer had control of AC and it hit the person at the table? Very quick sequence.

UPDATE 2: I did not "hack" my Mavic Pro to do loops and rolls. I did that to a friends unit and it works just fine on his unit. I have twice since I purchased NLD app reverted back to Go_fly_4 and run tests and samples. Then I put NLD back. I have not changed any parameters of my Mavic Pro because of NLD. Only used the feature to turn off the NFZ checking. There is another complete thread's worth of stories about NFZ support failures from DJI. But that is another story at another time. Peace.

Last edited:
Meta4,
So sorry you cannot read the screen dumps. They are slightly burred on my system but I can clearly make out each file name. The two .txt and .dat screen dumps were at higher resolution. Can you clearly read them? Perhaps you need a better monitor. But I will "resample" the screen dumps at 800 pixels horz. and that should allow anyone to see them clearly.

A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors.

Most fly away are pilot error, but a rather large number of the examined cases are "unknown" or "drone error". I found an example yesterday but cannot find it today. There is a good listing of a Mavic Pro that was flying fine and then took off suddenly and flew into trees and was damaaged. The owner sent damaged unit to DJI who analyzed the unit and found that a compass hardware error caused the unit to fly away. It was not a compass calibration issue. It was a hardware issue. That makes it a true "fly away" problem that DJI repair team has verified.

As I mentioned earlier, I use NLD app on my cell phone to override the NFZ of the Go_fly_4 version. Never had any issues with it except startup problems in getting it setup right. I do not have or use the DJI Pilot app that you referred to. My controller says I have current firmware versions and I am using Go_fly v4. If needed I will power up unit (first locking it to the table) and dump out any controller or AC version numbers you might need.
Never mind any of that.
Just answer my questions that might help get started on this issue and stop wasting a few more days, doing nothing but confuse you even more.

Do you fly with DJI Go4 or DJI Pilot?
If you fly with DJI Go 4 (and I don't think DJI Pilot is compatible with your Mavic Pro), your flight records will not ne in any Pilot_pad directory.

Go to the flight summary page in DJI Go 4 (as shown in post #28) and see if the relevant flight is there.
Is it there?

Meta4,
So sorry you cannot read the screen dumps. They are slightly burred on my system but I can clearly make out each file name. The two .txt and .dat screen dumps were at higher resolution. Can you clearly read them? Perhaps you need a better monitor.
My monitor is just fine, your screenshots have been reduced to tiny images.

I don't need you to tell me about the results of flyaway analysis.
I'm one of the few members that does that analysis.
And your incident is almost certainly not a mystery flyaway.
All I need to confirm exactly what caused it is a .txt file that should take two minutes to find and post here.
If needed I will power up unit (first locking it to the table) and dump out any controller or AC version numbers you might need.
You don't need to switch on the drone and no-one cares about version numbers.
There's only one thing needed, the .txt flight record from your phone.
That's it .. nothing else
UPDATE: please do not "harp" about getting the answers to your question that only takes 10 minutes to get. I immediately did the search on the place you recommended to find the .txt and .dat files. But your recommended file locations did not have the files you requested. ... But the alternate location I listed did have .txt and .dat files from previous flights up to a couple of days before the fly away incident.
I've asked and asked again for you to help me confirm whether the relevant file is on your phone.
I showed the page to check in post #28
It should take you 30 seconds.
I first asked 48 hours ago and I'm still asking.
I would say that the current evidence contradicts your statement that the flight record cannot be cancelled.

You might say that, but you'd be wrong.
Just stop trying to work things out.
Just answer a couple of simple questions if you want help.
Otherwise stop wasting other people's time.
I am hoping that examination of the drone memory (both internal and SD card) may have the files that we need. I am hoping to do that by tomorrow.
Forget about looking on the drone .. The file is on your phone.

Sorry if this comes off negative but I am trying hard to determine what caused the fly away.
Sorry if I come across as impatient, but you never had a fly away.
And I could have given you a clear explanation of what happened within 10 mins.

for Kilrah,
Yes, you can do that, but you didn't say you did enable manual mode, you actually say you didn't, so you can not have been flying that way. Nothing you say makes any sense...

Reactions: SkyeHigh and Meta4
Meta4,
hope your monitor is up to reading these higher resolution files. I have tested on two computer monitors and a cell phone. I can read every character for file names. Remember that the .txt and .dat files were already at the higher resolution so I did not resample them.

How can you be so sure that I did not have a fly away? Were you there with the controller in your hand? Did God tell you that I hit the RTH button by accident? What is your proof? In the previous file the number of "pseudo real" fly aways is a large number Did you investigate all the the .txt files and conclude pilot error? In one of the reviews you took place in you concluded pilot error but BudWalker in the next frame completed the .txt data and concluded compass calibration error. Were you right or wrong in your conclusion without showing the evidence that BudWalker showed?

Bottom line: I have no .txt or .dat date files for the flight of 23 June 2021. But you seem to conclude that I must be over looking that data. I have told you the steps I have used and you make no comment. You just say it should take 10 minutes to find the files. I am just hoping that the locations that BudWalker referred to in the AC will help me find the correct files.

Attachments

• BIG_DJI_go_4.jpg
    BIG_DJI_go_4.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 17
  • BIG_DJI_pilot_pad.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 4
  • BIG_DJI_root.jpg
    BIG_DJI_root.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 17
  • BIG_pilot_pad.jpg
    BIG_pilot_pad.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BIG_internal_disk.jpg
    BIG_internal_disk.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BIG_Go-4_flightRecord_maDat.jpg
    BIG_Go-4_flightRecord_maDat.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BIG_go-4_flightrecord.jpg
    BIG_go-4_flightrecord.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 17
Meta4,
hope your monitor is up to reading these higher resolution files.
My monitor is fine.
I'm not going to waste any more time asking you yet again to confirm that the .txt file is in there somewhere.
Goodbye

How can you be so sure that I did not have a fly away? Were you there with the controller in your hand? Did God tell you that I hit the RTH button by accident? What is your proof?
Having analysed the flight data from hundreds of flight incidents, I've run into most scenarios that can make a confused flyer think their drone is flying away.
I've outlined what's the likely cause of your incident already, but that's been ignored.

Bottom line: I have no .txt or .dat date files for the flight of 23 June 2021.
You wouldn't know, because you haven't bothered to check as I've asked you to many times.
But I'm not interested in helping someone that doesn't really want help.
Good luck sorting yourself out.

Meta4,
you contradict yourself. I have followed all your instructions to look for the .txt and .dat files. In your file directory structure I have no .txt or .dat files. In the alternate folder locations I do have .txt and .dat files which do not have the date of fly away. You say I am not "looking hard enough". I used one of the best Android cell phone programs to find hidden or deleted files on my cell phone. No hidden or deleted .txt or .dat files were found. So give me your EXACT instructions of how to search for these files that should be "found in 10 minutes time". I doubt you can or will provide those instructions.

Today I look in the AC for the files that BudWalker think may help. If found, I will post them.

Actually, here is the .txt file from the last flight a few days earlier where I flew from my house to a park nearby and back. Do you see any anomalies in how the NLD app stores the data? This file is listed in the data files I sent earlier and located in the alternate file folder that you claim is not the correct location.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-05-29_[19-50-11].txt
    309.2 KB · Views: 3
BudWalker,
I have forgotten how to directly connect with you during this thread. Sent a conversation start to you.

So I followed your instructions for getting into Mavic Pro to see what files are on its internal memory and its SD card. Got DJI Assistant working and got to the Mavic Pro icon and enterred into the AC. System required that I update my NFZ files and my OS. Didn't want to do that but I could find no way around it. The "ignore" does not allow you to proceed. Regardless, I got to View Data screen which shows no data on its display. I have made a collage of the screens I used so you can see what I did to get to View Data display. The note on the Assistant says that the data I am looking for is found on my Mavic Pro's SD card. I have taken out the SD card and viewed it on my PC. It has some very old .mp4 files and about 20 directories, but mostly it is empty and has no .txt or .dat files. Assistant also said that the data if would find would come from my SD card's Resource Manager. I have no program or directory by that name. Am I doing the right procedure to see if I can find my missing .txt and/or .dat files from 23 June 2021?
Much thanks for your help.
Ted Cooper

Attachments

• DJI_Assistant_Result.jpg
    DJI_Assistant_Result.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 7
BudWalker,
I have forgotten how to directly connect with you during this thread. Sent a conversation start to you.

So I followed your instructions for getting into Mavic Pro to see what files are on its internal memory and its SD card. Got DJI Assistant working and got to the Mavic Pro icon and enterred into the AC. System required that I update my NFZ files and my OS. Didn't want to do that but I could find no way around it. The "ignore" does not allow you to proceed. Regardless, I got to View Data screen which shows no data on its display. I have made a collage of the screens I used so you can see what I did to get to View Data display. The note on the Assistant says that the data I am looking for is found on my Mavic Pro's SD card. I have taken out the SD card and viewed it on my PC. It has some very old .mp4 files and about 20 directories, but mostly it is empty and has no .txt or .dat files. Assistant also said that the data if would find would come from my SD card's Resource Manager. I have no program or directory by that name. Am I doing the right procedure to see if I can find my missing .txt and/or .dat files from 23 June 2021?
Ted Cooper
The instructions say to select the Data Upload option. You've selected the Flight Data option.

BudWalker,

Ted Cooper
Did you take a look to see if the MP internal drive was mounted on your PC?

The files you're looking for are not on the removable SD card.

You say I am not "looking hard enough".
I said that you weren't looking in the right place.
And I've pointed out how to check to confirm whether the file is in your phone or not, many times.
But you still haven't bothered to check.
Do you remember me mentioning post #28 a few times?
If you had answered the simple question from post #28, we could have avoided the wasting so much time on this exercise.
Have you even seen post #28?

btw .. That flight record is quite normal as you can see for yourself here.

Last edited:
BudWalker,
You were so right! I have been looking for Flight Record for so long I selected the wrong menu option (it gives nothing to show). I caught the error on the second reading of the instructions and did the Data Upload menu. I found about 10 records that were found. I selected the 6 files that have a date of 27 June 2021. They are not a match to my 23 June date but you said it could be off by a few days. The selected file then made a large grouping of files that it eventually compressed. This is the 163 MB file I have included here (it is a .dat file). I have also included the Data Upload file screen I obtained.

I am hoping that you can find out what is in these files and if they shed any light on the "fly away" condition I experienced. Let me know what you find.

Attachments

• Data_Upload_list.jpg
    Data_Upload_list.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 7
BudWalker,
system would not allow me to upload the .DAT file. I do not have a web storage site at this time. SO I renamed to .txt and will see if that uploads. Remember to rename when you get it.

UPDATE: it will not take that huge .txt file (163MB) do you know where I can store that data set so you can see it? DJI forum will not store that file as a standalone data file.
UPDATE2: forgot about my Dropbox link. Here it is for the .DAT file:

Last edited:
Meta4,
Take a look at your post 28. It has the answer in plain sight:
tjcooper said:
The files on my cell phone are not in the same directories as the "Locating Your Flight Logs" document describes. But I do find the .txt files in similar directories on my cell phone:
This PC\H710VL\Internal storage\DJI\dji.pilot.pad\FlightRecord
The directory structure you should be looking for is:
DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord

You say to look in DJI\dji.go.v4
In the multiple file directory dumps I shared, you can see that there are NO FILES in that directory. The single directory folder in the dji.go.g4 is also EMPTY. So from the VERY BEGINNING I said that I have no files in that folder (punctuation of the file directory name no withstanding). Even with reduced pixel resolution, an empty file folder is empty.

You said they could be deleted or hidden. Then in several posts I said I used PHONERESCUE to search the cell phone for all deleted or hidden files. AGAIN, there are no .txt or .dat files that were deleted or hidden. Only the .txt and .dat files in the alternate directory. AGAIN no .txt file for the date of the "fly away". So no amount of "look harder for the files" will find the .txt file needed to resolve the issue on the cell phone. It just isn't there.......and never was.

Using BudWalker's posts, I have found some data on the FC which are close to the 23 June 2021 date the fly away happened. I have supplied a compressed .dat file and provided a DropBox link. I have no idea what is in those files.....they are about the right date but have 6 flight segments. I only did one flight segment but with all my panic moves to shut down the rotors, I could have inadvertently created extra virtual flight segments. I am hoping they shed some light on what happened.

Meta4,
Take a look at your post 28.

What's the matter with you?
Go back and look at the screenshot I posted in #28.
I didn't put it there just for decoration.
Then go to that page in your app and see if the flight is showing there.
If the flight data is actually missing, you won't see the flight listed.
If it is listed, then the flight data is somewhere in your phone.
I've been trying to find the answer to that mystery for days, when it should have only taken a minute.

Reactions: Kilrah and SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929