DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to tell CE or FCC

If you hack a CE model to FCC as decribed above, does it require a phone capable of running the 5.8GHz Wifi band (besides the 2.4GHz)? I operate on Android. I would assume so. Thanks for confirmation.
The Phone connects to the RC controller using a USB connecting cable. it's actually best to turn WiFi and Bluetooth off when using your phone with the controller - so - No - This has nothing to do with the WiFi capabilities of your phone. The CE / FCC transmission that's being discussed, occurs between the DJI RC Controller, and the DJI Mavic Mini ...

Reactions: mullern88
Yes but does the FCC mode on a CE machine generate the same power as FCC mode on a FCC remote - somehow I doubt it ...otherwise why have 2 different models
You cannot sell a 'radio frequency' device in Europe without the CE mark on it to show conformity (and same for FCC mark in the USA). It appears that there are two models - yes - but the question is "are the two models differentiated by software settings only?". I have no idea ... However, there are a lot of postings through this Forum about CE/FCC hacks on all models of DJI Mavic - so all I can suggest is to trawl those and get the anecdotal evidence from them.

The Phone connects to the RC controller using a USB connecting cable. it's actually best to turn WiFi and Bluetooth off when using your phone with the controller - so - No - This has nothing to do with the WiFi capabilities of your phone. The CE / FCC transmission that's being discussed, occurs between the DJI RC Controller, and the DJI Mavic Mini ...

Good news, I was not aware of that, thought the phone rules the connection. Thanks a lot!!

You cannot sell a 'radio frequency' device in Europe without the CE mark on it to show conformity (and same for FCC mark in the USA). It appears that there are two models - yes - but the question is "are the two models differentiated by software settings only?". I have no idea ... However, there are a lot of postings through this Forum about CE/FCC hacks on all models of DJI Mavic - so all I can suggest is to trawl those and get the anecdotal evidence from them.
They have different hardware.

Reactions: Jimbo in Thailand
Many. Plenty here. Try a search.
There are a lot of postings regarding the conversion of CE to FCC, but looking for info about the differences in hardware (past the different label), is not finding much at all. There's a question been asked above that is still open ... and that is 'If you do the hack to convert a CE Mavic/controller to FCC - do you actually end up with the FCC 'power' upgrade, or do you just see a different number of channels on a different frequency range?'
If the hardware was actually different, then you might expect that the transmission power in the drone and controller, was 'hardware' configured via a different component set in the transmitter at both ends (i.e. to limit the radiated RF power in the CE version).
While there is a lot of talk about CE to FCC hacks, is there any definitive proof about that there is a measurable power increase in forcing the CE device to FCC?
[I'm not trying to deny it note - I just want to see somebody who has measured it, confirm it please]

Reactions: Gkinghrn
There are a lot of postings regarding the conversion of CE to FCC, but looking for info about the differences in hardware (past the different label), is not finding much at all. There's a question been asked above that is still open ... and that is 'If you do the hack to convert a CE Mavic/controller to FCC - do you actually end up with the FCC 'power' upgrade, or do you just see a different number of channels on a different frequency range?'
If the hardware was actually different, then you might expect that the transmission power in the drone and controller, was 'hardware' configured via a different component set in the transmitter at both ends (i.e. to limit the radiated RF power in the CE version).
While there is a lot of talk about CE to FCC hacks, is there any definitive proof about that there is a measurable power increase in forcing the CE device to FCC?
[I'm not trying to deny it note - I just want to see somebody who has measured it, confirm it please]
There are several threads on this forum that show the hardware differences very clearly.

There is no way the non FCC version will obtain the same power output- simply because it is missing a linear amplifier IC. The boards seem identical, the difference being which components are installed.

There are several threads on this forum that show the hardware differences very clearly.
There is no way the non FCC version will obtain the same power output- simply because it is missing a linear amplifier IC. The boards seem identical, the difference being which components are installed.
Apologies for missing those particular threads ... And thanks for the confirmation regarding the hardware.
[Is that statement about the controller build applicable to all Mavic models???]
In that case, there appears to be absolutely no advantage what-so-ever in doing a CE to FCC hack! All it would do is reduce the number of WiFi channels available for you to use ... The performance improvements reported by those that have carried out the hack must be - imagined ...

I manage with that fcc hack on my mini 2300m after charging chanels to 5.8 manual in same distance i done less then 500 .when weather is good im gonna try in proper filds

Be careful publishing flight data like the above @wk15 - as it is showing that you have broken the following UK CAA UAS laws:
1) It appears you have flown higher than 120 metres (400 ft) above the surface.
2) It appears that you have flown within 150 metres of a built-up area.
3) It appears that you have flown much further than what can be considered 'Visual Line of Sight'.
It also looks like your drone is a long way from home to be down to 20% battery!!!!
A Mavic Mini is under 250g TOW but while that means you don't have to register as a Flyer or Operator, that does not exempt you from obeying the Dronecode rules (download them from here: Drone code - Dronesafe)
Have fun and fly safe ...

400m is about 3x the approved height ....

I can understand to some extent the desire to check the distance but you have to be responsible in terms of where you do that testing ... 2km out over sea is more forgiveable than over a built up area in my mind.

I don't want to knock the guy though since it's not what the thread is about ...

I estimate VLOS for most people with this size of drone is about 200 feet Max .... In a bright sky even less...

Reactions: Jasuman
Thank you for warning and and all advice. I read drone code and i realise how stupid was my flying and actions. Im gonna fallow all the rules for a safety of others and mine.thank you again for putting me on good course

I have a CE Mini, hence a CE controller.

I used to have the 2.4ghz (CE) channels 1-13 only but after some good guidance from this forum, I was able to "unlock" the 5.8ghz (FCC) channels 149, 153, 157, 161 and 165.

Now I have all these 18 channels (both 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz) to choose from.

I have flow in 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz channels.

Is there a difference? Honestly, I am not getting the "reported" 5.8ghz range. The Mini, on 2.4ghz and auto mode, still gets the farther range. Still continuing to test though.

Let's see ?

Yes but does the FCC mode on a CE machine generate the same power as FCC mode on a FCC remote - somehow I doubt it ...otherwise why have 2 different models
Kind of the same question......Can someone do a little test for me. First take a ce drone and fly it on ce transmission, then fly the same ce drone and fly it on fcc transmission. Pls tell the results, what are the cons and pros. Is there any very big problem that can happen if we take a ce drone and use it on fcc transmision

Kind of the same question......Can someone do a little test for me. First take a ce drone and fly it on ce transmission, then fly the same ce drone and fly it on fcc transmission. Pls tell the results, what are the cons and pros. Is there any very big problem that can happen if we take a ce drone and use it on fcc transmision
Where are you flying?

You will find numerous threads detailing others experience with fcc mods.

It’s less benefit than you probably expect on the mini. 5.8 tx power is nowhere near the FCC version as the hardware is different.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa