DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to unlock authorization zone

pilot1

Reactions
With ( Unnecessary political remark removed ) in NJ, I have not been able to fly my Mavic Air 2.
I went online and tried to unlock the DJI fly app. I filled in all of the information with controller serial number and the flying zone. It gave me a code which i entered. It gave me a congrats that I have successfully unlocked however I still have a red authorization label on the main camera view and when I click on it, it takes me to a preflight check page. There is says Aircraft in Authorization Zone. Unable to take off before unlocking.
What am I failing to do>

Last edited by a moderator:
With "The Donald" in NJ, I have not been able to fly my Mavic Air 2.
I went online and tried to unlock the DJI fly app. I filled in all of the information with controller serial number and the flying zone. It gave me a code which i entered. It gave me a congrats that I have successfully unlocked however I still have a red authorization label on the main camera view and when I click on it, it takes me to a preflight check page. There is says Aircraft in Authorization Zone. Unable to take off before unlocking.
What am I failing to do>
Click on "UNLOCK" and check the three items where you agree to follow the rules. When you get "AUTHORIZED', tap elsewhere on the screen and have a good flight.

Reactions: hpagel
With "The Donald" in NJ, I have not been able to fly my Mavic Air 2.
What am I failing to do>
Could you please elaborate on your planned flight? You aren't planning on flying in that 30 NM circle during the active time of the TFR, correct?

If you are, then no level of unlock should allow you to fly. Even if you could unlock during the TFR, it would be ill advised to do so.

Reactions: dawgpilot
On the DJI website after following all of the procedures entering the controller S/N, and getting a verification code on my cell phone, I get a "Unlock Successful - Congratulations! This authorization zone has been unlocked. You can check your unlocking licenses in the DJI Fly app. I see licenses listed in the fly app however I still have a message on the app saying " Aircraft in Authorization Zone. Unable to take off before unlocking".

No matter what I do-I can't get past this.

I had a similar problem with my Mavic 2. Everything appeared to be done correctly, but I had entered in the wrong serial number of the drone on the unlock web page. I had entered an O (oh) instead of a 0 (zero). Once I corrected that, the unlock went through. I would confirm that was done correctly.

When you are ready to fly, click on the three dots in the upper right corner and, under the safety heading, scroll down to Unlock GEO Zone and click on the little sideways v on the right and it will bring up your Flight controller info on the left. On the right, you will see "Import to aircraft". Click on that and the GEO zone should unlock. Good luck.

Reactions: Draydur
Could you please elaborate on your planned flight? You aren't planning on flying in that 30 NM circle during the active time of the TFR, correct?

If you are, then no level of unlock should allow you to fly. Even if you could unlock during the TFR, it would be ill advised to do so.

Exactly. Flying a drone in the middle of an active Presidential TFR is a nice way to have a visit from the US Secret Service.

If you try to take off by pressing the take-off button on screen in DJI Fly, the prompt never comes up.

If you try to do a stick takeoff (both sticks down and inward) - THEN the prompt comes up.

Bizarre.

edit for those asking about TFRs: Should be noted that the software providers (DJI, Airmap et al) have notoriously wrong information occasionally. Last weekend, for example, the TFR was cancelled, but still showed in DJI Go and DJI Fly. Same with the radius - it's entirely possible & plausible (and yes I've seen it) - to be OUTSIDE the 30nm radius and still have the software lock you out. It's not nearly as accurate as it should be. So don't assume that overriding means illegal. It could very well also mean craptastic software.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If you try to take off by pressing the take-off button on screen in DJI Fly, the prompt never comes up.

If you try to do a stick takeoff (both sticks down and inward) - THEN the prompt comes up.

Bizarre.

edit for those asking about TFRs: Should be noted that the software providers (DJI, Airmap et al) have notoriously wrong information occasionally. Last weekend, for example, the TFR was cancelled, but still showed in DJI Go and DJI Fly. Same with the radius - it's entirely possible & plausible (and yes I've seen it) - to be OUTSIDE the 30nm radius and still have the software lock you out. It's not nearly as accurate as it should be. So don't assume that overriding means illegal. It could very well also mean craptastic software.
On the other hand the opposite is also true and MUCH worse. If you are inside the area of a presidential TFR and you are not aware of it, you could get yourself in a whole lot of trouble. So it is always good practice to check all airspace before you fly, from the one and only source...the FAA.

As for yesterday, the TFR was indeed in effect. It got cancelled a bit earlier than the planned 6:00 PM expiration but it was indeed in effect up until then.

Reactions: dmurphynj
On the other hand the opposite is also true and MUCH worse. If you are inside the area of a presidential TFR and you are not aware of it, you could get yourself in a whole lot of trouble. So it is always good practice to check all airspace before you fly, from the one and only source...the FAA.

As for yesterday, the TFR was indeed in effect. It got cancelled a bit earlier than the planned 6:00 PM expiration but it was indeed in effect up until then.

You are absolutely correct. One needs to check - double check - triple check - and be sure.

I flew yesterday - I was 38nm from his location, outside of the TFR zone. Checked the FAA's website; I was clear. But DJI Fly still showed me in the area. I had no qualms about unlocking.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78