DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Huge dilemma with DJI return home policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
No man. At that stage I was mental. App was switching on just for 5-10 secs the time to press return home button then disconnected again. This happened for all times you see in the image RTH failing to activate.

Halfbattery

Then after that I was moving the drone stick but wasn't responding to the commands and moving away.

Why did this happen?

At the height of 170m, the (non-cancellable) auto-landing mode would be triggered at about 20% battery. You had only 51% battery left at 4823m, and you were still in GPS mode (not RTH). It would take a seasoned MP pilot to fly it back once the auto-landing mode kicks in.

I have no idea how a drone newbie would have so much nerve to continue flying three miles out. Windy or not.

Newbie or not, if you wanna be a big guy and fly your new drone 5km out it, be a big guy now as well and take your loss. At those distances anything that goes wrong is the pilots responsibility. He simply isn't there when it happens. He's playing a dangerous videogame.

Crossed my mind as well. Many read the manual inside and out but only after the loss, to find out of they can apply for warranty.

Reactions: DAMIANG and Pietros
Cold weather over Italy will also reduce battery life. I know it is easy with hindsight, but I have over 300 flights and would never risk a flight that far, I am too conservative, and the first sign of trouble I run for home, you had repeated warnings. Your controller will be in CE mode,it has less power than the US models, and less range.
I have had scary returns with only 11% battery left.
Sorry for your loss,I would be hyper annoyed.

I think DJI is guilty of marketing it in a misleading way, but misleading marketing is something all companies do. When I bought a Lexus, I didn't seriously expect that it would get me a diamond-spangled supermodel, a private jet or a house in the Hamptons.....but that imagery is in their marketing. As with most things, I separated the fantasy from the facts. Same with the Mavic, and same with my Inspire1 Pro.

I find the claims from the OP of being misled laughable -- we all live in the same world and know to take feature hype with a grain of salt.

This is straight-up pilot error. The Mavic tried to save itself twice, but with hubris the OP over-rode the craft and lost it in a place he could not see, in conditions he could not vouch for.

I don't mean to sound harsh -- we all make mistakes. But we have to own them.

I think DJI is guilty of marketing it in a misleading way, but misleading marketing is something all companies do. When I bought a Lexus, I didn't seriously expect that it would get me a diamond-spangled supermodel, a private jet or a house in the Hamptons.....but that imagery is in their marketing. As with most things, I separated the fantasy from the facts. Same with the Mavic, and same with my Inspire1 Pro.

I find the claims from the OP of being misled laughable -- we all live in the same world and know to take feature hype with a grain of salt.

This is straight-up pilot error. The Mavic tried to save itself twice, but with hubris the OP over-rode the craft and lost it in a place he could not see, in conditions he could not vouch for.

I don't mean to sound harsh -- we all make mistakes. But we have to own them.
And I bet your Lexus does not get the mileage/gallon as advertised,

Reactions: bobj151 and ssvdh66
I am having a big problem with DJI.

They are always trying to turn the situation in their adavantage.

All they do in case of flyaway and lost drone is offering 15% discount on the next drone and if/when you dispute it they just attach the manual .pdf to the previous reply without even taking in account what the customer is asking. BAD AND POOR AFTER SALE AND TECH SUPPORT.

They have no respect for their customer, their after sale is terrible, and their analysts are lazy and with the fakest courtesy incite you to write again should you have other doubts. Of course, all of this will stays unanswered.

Long story short I was flying my drone on a wonderful day:

Compass calibration perfect
No obstacles on the way
Clear sky
0 wind
Antennas full stretched (90 degress)
100% battery

Wow it seems that this is the ideal condition to test what they sell on their specs. With all the above condition the drone should go about 7km in lenght, also because the new Mavic Platinum has a battery that lasts 30 minutes. WOW.

Well gents, that's the first lie.

Secondly, I was flying at about 5km with 62% of battery left. Battery was going down tremendously despite of the good weather and 0 wind. BRAND NEW BATTERY. 2 weeks new and very few flights beacuse it was raining last week.

Hang on a second, 10:07 flight with all the ideal weather conditions and no wind and with a full battery, without obstacles on the way, and you are telling me low battery? Something must be wrong in the specs isn't it? It should have said that at about 15:00 minute. Otherwise write somewhere that the flying time is 70% of the 100% because after 30% this thing goes crazy.

So they blame me for canceling the return to home.

Now, how about when the app disconnected from the RC at 51% then?

I couldn't control anymore the drone. The screen freezed, no signal, aircraft disconnected ... and the fantastic following features didn't activate:

How to use DJI’s Return to Home (RTH) Safely

Failsafe RTH:

Failsafe RTH happens when your drone loses signal for 3 seconds when using the remote controller or 20 seconds if using Wi-Fi. When it kicks in it will do one of three things depending on how you have set it up. Firstly, if you have it set to RTH then it will ascend to the set RTH height and start to fly back to you, and once you get the signal back, then you can cancel it. Secondly, if you have it set to Hover then your drone will just hover in its current position, so you can walk towards it and re-establish your signal. However, if you fail to re-establish your signal and the Battery RTH is triggered then the drone will either return home or land depending on your Battery RTH settings. Thirdly, it can be set to land, so it’ll just land in its current position.

MY SETTING WHERE TO RETURN TO THE HOME POINT.

ARE WE SERIOUS HERE?

Do you know what DJI took in account?

The last seconds of the flight record when the drone had only 28% and it wasn't enough to go back home.

This is so low from them.

They didn't mention at all the return home failing trigger when with 51% battery.

The drone should have gone back horizontally them start discending.
with the drone getting closer to the home point and with 21% battery from 51 to 30% I could have certainly got it closer, regained connection with the app and have an eye, the gimbal, to look where the drone was and even if it start descending I could have controlled it and landed it safely.
They only want to see what they want to see and for this reason if they don't send me a full refund or a brand new drone, I will charge it back to the credit card company and invite all of you to do so.

#irresponsible

nelson.jpg

Actually, it does. It's a hybrid.
I have a hybrid, it quotes 145 mpg, but the computer will only read up to 100, but it is very economical, and I like Tech(Obviously), and the environment.
Anyway your post is valid, we live in a real world, and nobody should believe manufacturers claims obtained in laboratory conditions, we do not live in a lab world.
Enjoy your flying, Oh and your Lexus.

I didn't buy this Drone to keep it VLOS. Thanks

I'm sure the distance and topography played a factor in some of this (I took a look at the log) Had you flown it this distance before? I don't think I would trust it to fly outside of VLOS.

Reactions: nlennie
Thanks for this.

So you are trying to tell me that, once I buy a product improved and advertised as a top drone when it comes to battery, distance, noise reduction and so on, I have to make further research to read that it isn't possible? I see.
I wasn't going to say anything here, but seriously... Your entire argument is based on advertised specs, which you keep quoting over and over... When you fly, you have full telemetry information right in front of you. This is no time to be quoting something from an advertisement. This is when you respect and respond to the real-time information on your screen. There are winds over your head, even if it's calm on the ground. You argue that the drone did not report these winds, which it only does when the winds exceed a certain value (someone posted that value earlier here). You ignored everything. You were determined to fly based on the brochure and not your actual environment.

If his app crashed as he said, would he not even see wind warnings? RTH being canceled was the cause of this loss. all other things aside.

Again, why would you tell to someone before selling a product that with perfect weather condition it will reach 7km.
Nowhere does it say so, you're misinterpreting whatever you're reading.

The only "7km" in the specs refers to what the radio transmission link is capable of achieving, in best conditions and when located in the USA with FCC transmission rules.

It doesn't mean anything regarding the distance the aircraft is capable of safely flying at at any time or in any condition.

No man. At that stage I was mental. App was switching on just for 5-10 secs the time to press return home button then disconnected again. This happened for all times you see in the image RTH failing to activate.

Halfbattery

Then after that I was moving the drone stick but wasn't responding to the commands and moving away.

Why did this happen?
You were at 4.8km. Maximum range at your location as per the specs is 4km.

Most stupid flight and reaction I've ever seen. RTFM and learn to read specs correctly.

Nowhere does it say so, you're misinterpreting whatever you're reading.

The only "7km" in the specs refers to what the radio transmission link is capable of achieving, in best conditions and when located in the USA with FCC transmission rules.

It doesn't mean anything regarding the distance the aircraft is capable of safely flying at at any time or in any condition.

You were at 4.8km. Maximum range at your location as per the specs is 4km.

Most stupid flight and reaction I've ever seen. RTFM and learn to read specs correctly.
True ~and again demonstrates total disregard for the environment. From the logs, the area appears to be in the hills. You know, *hills* ~those things that bounce and obfuscate RC signals, especially those signals that are in the higher frequencies with shorter wavelengths. This entire argument, as I may have mentioned above, was based on the advertising brochure for the Mavic with zero respect for the actual environment. This kind of flying is foolish.

He was three miles out, got a low battery warning and auto RTH kicked in. He canceled the RTH and kept flying.
I doubt the logs would say anything other than pilot error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
White Smoke