DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Huge dilemma with DJI return home policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate your reply and you effort.
Let's see if DJI will take me to court after charging back the payment to the credit card company after sending them all the conversation with the company I have in end.
No Mike4884, would have you at least gone to the customer and said. Mate let's do 50-50 on your next drone, but please be careful when you fly it, or get you a refund of the 50%.
You see, I have no pleasure at all in buying something that allows me to see with a super zoom camera. I want to fly high and far as advertised by them.

How will DJI know if you haven't actually found your drone and still have it? May be after the disconnect it just hovered somewhere and then landed when battery reached critical and then you picked it up?

now your just being rude and arrogant, please come back and let us all know how far your attitude gets you with getting your money back from dji

Man honestly, I am sorry. Actually you have been very kind. What do you expect me to tell you? You are good I am stupid? Ok. You are good I am stupid. I don't want to be understood by anyone here. I probably didn't even explain my problem properly. People are going on me for being irresponsible. Other for not reading the manual, other for canceling the RTH, someone even said if I were DJI I wouldn't even given you 15% discount. Most likely this person live isolated in his house playing with drones and talk to his imaginary friend. Now, I am not into drones, I am into exploring places from above and taking pictures and videos. I love this aspect of the aerial art. This fascinates me. I was naive not to read the manual inside out, probably I should have been wiser. But I am sure DJI has to change the specs somehow, has to help new pilots to get in place, doesn't have to push with the marketing. And honestly, why people go on with the country legislation? It seems to me that also here, it should be DJI selling in that specific country to write messages about the rules. They only make sure you agree when touch certain features that can effect the drone performance.
I have been disappointed from the company because on a brand new drone in an unsure circumstance where you cannot 100% respect your spec and find my drone app which should be a support, with all the money you make, you don't even make an effort to say 50%-60% discount / refund.
I am mad at them. And I will keep pursuit my cause.
Thanks for some in this thread supporting me.

Reactions: amstar
I seen a video of a guy in Europe saying how the range is much lower than in the U.S. Apparently he figured out how to trick the Mavic into believing it was in the U.S. therefore extending the range.

Good for him. I should have done it too. Thanks for this post.

It did. You cancelled it. Your problem.

If you used it it means you were OK with whatever you were shown - until you did something stupid and now bring that as argument to try and put the fault somewhere else.

Nope, there are clear regulations for that too and you violated them becasue you didn't even look if there were any.
With the proof you posted in this thread you can actually probably end in jail exactly like people who got caught because they posted videos/photos of them driving at 250km/h.

I actually hope DJI report you especially if you're being an *** and doing a chargeback.

Mate, I don't care about the rules. If we get to that point then I will be the one who face the country law.

This is problem between the specs of a product they sell and the person who buys it.

Also, I haven't cancelled anything after 62%. You are just assuming. And if with 51% and I triggered the return home myself 5 times you don't come back home, that's not pilot fault. That's RTH fault. Then how do you explain battery going down too fast? How you explain the drone hovering in place without moving. Do you know what I was trying to do during that minute? Reconnect the app to trigger again the rth. Which I did, many times, before the app kept disconnecting. So why it didn't attempt to go back home? Can you explain me this?
Thanks Emperor of my bollocks....

Mate, I don't care about the rules. If we get to that point then I will be the one who face the country law.

This is problem between the specs of a product they sell and the person who buys it.

Also, I haven't cancelled anything after 62%. You are just assuming. And if with 51% and I triggered the return home myself 5 times you don't come back home, that's not pilot fault. That's RTH fault. Then how do you explain battery going down too fast? How you explain the drone hovering in place without moving. Do you know what I was trying to do during that minute? Reconnect the app to trigger again the rth. Which I did, many times, before the app kept disconnecting. So why it didn't attempt to go back home? Can you explain me this?
why are you repeating yourself when its all been discussed at great length already.
as for you video evidence of distance achieve in Italy.
his altitude was blanked out so he was much higher up than you were to keep it in LOS, which you did not.
he got back by the skin of his teeth with 2% battery left so that probably ended up in the bin.
let me try to explain one more time.
in the DJI link that you quoted in you 1st post it says VLO
this has nothing to do with any rules that say you don't care about.
in very simple terms the mavic needs a clear path from the transmitter to obtain the best signal possible.
if you were holding your RC at head height the horizon is 5k away

Last edited:
So this is my first post, ever, on this forum... I have sat quietly for a few weeks in the background lurking and gleaning information from all you guys, as I am a new pilot, having been given a Mavic as a gift over Christmas.

Firstly, I have seen and read the claims that DJI make on their drone, and that 7km is the distance it can go, and the battery lifespan etc. I think this thread is going to go around and around in circles, and surely the mods should have closed it by now... but I digress... let's state the obvious...

• 7km is what the company claims, but they do state this was perfect conditions. The OP is assuming that he had these conditions, but the evidence is proving otherwise. He keeps claiming that he wasn't getting wind errors, BUT, wind errors only happen at extreme winds. Just gentle wind would not give an error... BUT it would still cause battery usage. Secondly, the OP states that the app kept disconnecting, so how can he claim there was no wind warning? (Don't you need the app on to receive such warnings??)
  • The 7km distance is based on the HARDWARE'S ability to communicate between drone and controller. It's a bit difficult to explain this technically, but there will be radio frequency limitations in Europe that are not the same as US. (I'm in South Africa btw). So in one area, the frequency limits you to let's say 7km. The Drone automatically picks up that it is in that area, and only allows the hardware to function to that limit. In Europe, you have CE regulations, which states 4km is the frequency radius permissible. Therefore, by interpretation, the drone GPS picks up that it is in a CE regulated base, and will regulate the frequency radius to 4km. In actual fact, the OP is showing that he has not done proper research because he tried to go beyond the 4km, when his own drone will not go that far because it knows that the regulations is 4km.
  • The OP is extremely defensive in his comments, and is yet to admit fault in any of this. I have read numerous threads where you guys have helped beginner pilots find their lost drones, sometimes bordering on finding the impossible. At no point in this thread has the OP asked for assistance. I get the impression that the OP has made up his mind that he wants his money back.. period.
  • I can't interpret the flight logs yet... heck, I only flew in Sport mode yesterday for the first time in 26 flights... but an interesting comment that was made on the same thread on the DJI forum was that the OP did not set a home position. If that is the case, then there is error 1.
  • There is stuff that the OP comments on and does, that doesn't make sense to me. He claims that he has flown a Spark previously, giving the impression that he has drone experience, and that this is all DJI error. What the OP does goes against common logic. The OP states that he kept trying to reconnect the phone so that he can initiate the RTH feature. What baffles me is why the OP does not know there is a RTH button on the remote control, and you don't have to use the app to engage this option.
  • And lastly, I find it interesting this concept of VLOS. In all the manuals I have from DJI, as well as watching the tutorials from DJI, and interacting with the guys from DJI, they constantly recommend remain within VLOS. Under perfect conditions, I am sure that a spotter with a pair of binoculars would be able to maintain VLOS of a drone at 7km away. So in my opinion, the OP was careless to venture out of sight to start off with. (As a side comment, in South Africa, to my understanding, the drone needs to remain within VLOS as a regulation of CAA, not only a recommendation of DJI)

I doubt the OP will come right with a chargeback with his credit provider. At the end of the day, either DJI or the Credit provider will ask for the purchased product to be returned... which the OP is unable to do in any case.

as mentioned, you do not need the app to trigger RTH. you can do that from the controller if that's connected to the drone. you say you kept pressing the RTH button but the button on the controller need to be held down for a couple of seconds. You would've learnt this if you had read the manual which you confirm not to have done.

Let’s us know how the CC charge back and your false advertisement case works out for you.

Reactions: guest1023
It’s probably something the OP won’t understand. There are a lot of folks here who LOVE their Mavic. If they lost it, they’d be trying their hardest to find it, post here to seek help from some of the experts here to retrieve it.
The OP doesn’t share this sentiment. It has come across as it did not met his expectations, it got lost and has chosen to abandon it and seek his money back.
For all we know, perhaps the battery was defective. Or the RC. If the OP wasn’t too hellbent on taking it to it’s limit after a few flights, the defect would have been detected, and turned to DJI for replacement. We won’t know now would we? If he tried to get it back, he could’ve sent it back to DJI, and if found to be defective, DJI would’ve replaced it.

Reactions: amstar
It’s probably something the OP won’t understand. There are a lot of folks here who LOVE their Mavic. If they lost it, they’d be trying their hardest to find it, post here to seek help from some of the experts here to retrieve it.
The OP doesn’t share this sentiment. It has come across as it did not met his expectations, it got lost and has chosen to abandon it and seek his money back.
For all we know, perhaps the battery was defective. Or the RC. If the OP wasn’t too hellbent on taking it to it’s limit after a few flights, the defect would have been detected, and turned to DJI for replacement. We won’t know now would we? If he tried to get it back, he could’ve sent it back to DJI, and if found to be defective, DJI would’ve replaced it.
agree.
he is not the first to have lost his mavic and will not be the last.
but if he had at any time stopped being so blinkered, rude, arrogant, many members here would have gone to great lengths to help him, as many have done in the past.

I'm astonished y'all fed the troll for 8 pages.
I believe there are unexplained fly-aways ... but not this time.
This one appears cut and dried - op ignored plain warnings because he wanted to push the limits based on his limited understanding of How Things Work coupled with a bad case of IANAL but I'm gonna act like I am anyway.
I get it that he put his faith in the advertising claims - but as any person who has bought absolutely anything in their entire life should be aware the manufacturers tend to use best case scenarios tempered with some reality in the fine print (AKA "gotchas").
A perfect example is the battery life. Yes - you might just get 30 minutes if you're willing to push the battery into territory that will possibly result in damage. Most pilots fly and see they get somewhere between 18 to 26 minutes depending and live with it since that's STILL pretty impressive. This guy thought he was smarter than the intelligent battery that was actually doing the heavy lifting. Guess what? It really *does* know pretty much better than the guy 5 km away how things are looking.
Anyway - That was my 2 cents worth and I think I overpaid.

This guy is the exact reason why DJI scrutinize every warranty request.. Imagine you have to provide an official response to 20 like him every day who are trying to blame their own ignorance on them and have you pay for their own mistakes.

But anyway, I'm sure he will respond to me explaining how the box said 7km..

The only reason I'm still here is I want to know how the whole "ima gonna cancel the cc charge" plan goes. But I suspect he won't exactly report back once they tell him he's SOL

I'm astonished y'all fed the troll for 8 pages.
I believe there are unexplained fly-aways ... but not this time.
This one appears cut and dried - op ignored plain warnings because he wanted to push the limits based on his limited understanding of How Things Work coupled with a bad case of IANAL but I'm gonna act like I am anyway.
I get it that he put his faith in the advertising claims - but as any person who has bought absolutely anything in their entire life should be aware the manufacturers tend to use best case scenarios tempered with some reality in the fine print (AKA "gotchas").
A perfect example is the battery life. Yes - you might just get 30 minutes if you're willing to push the battery into territory that will possibly result in damage. Most pilots fly and see they get somewhere between 18 to 26 minutes depending and live with it since that's STILL pretty impressive. This guy thought he was smarter than the intelligent battery that was actually doing the heavy lifting. Guess what? It really *does* know pretty much better than the guy 5 km away how things are looking.
Anyway - That was my 2 cents worth and I think I overpaid.
maybe we should put this thread out of it's misery? the guy just doesn't/won't get it...everyone needs to move on.

Reactions: bobj151 and JamesA
[QUOTE="abellodentro, post: 375132, member: 47224"Am I to blame because I pushed a drone 70% of his reach according to specs and I cancel the return home with 62% battery?[/QUOTE]

Since the Mavic starts nagging you to land IMMEDIATELY at about 20% battery (depending on your settings), that leaves 80% of "useful" battery power. Half that is 40%. So, if you start at 100% and fly to 60% then that is HALF the "useful" battery power. When the Mavic initiated automatic RTH at 62% you had essentially used half the useful battery power.

Now, had you continued to hover at 150 feet until 55% or so, you could have possibly brought it back home. But you didn't just hover. You climbed to over 550 feet while still in the same area. You ran the battery down from 62% to 48% while still hanging out in the same area. At 48% you finally started heading back. Shortly after heading back you started having repeated connection issues. The Mavic drifted west during these connection issues. Once it was reconnected the Mavic continued west.

You spent 5 minutes at the farthest point, burning the battery more quickly by climbing, AFTER the Mavic warned you to RTH. This was ENTIRELY your own fault. If you hadn't cancelled RTH you would almost certainly still have your Mavic.

Mark

Reactions: Flydude
maybe we should put this thread out of it's misery? the guy just doesn't/won't get it...everyone needs to move on.
Very true, but it has given me something to do as I've not been able to fly during two days off work.
Plus I have actually learned a few things along the way.

I totally agree and this has played out .

CLOSED
IMG_8764.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998