DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Huge dilemma with DJI return home policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I was trying really hard not to comment on this thread for a multitude of reasons, one of them being your refusal to understand logic. But let me try, nevertheless. Many of the people here may be seasoned pilots. I, on the other hand, have never flown a drone or an RC before this. Maybe a mini-copter inside the house, but that does not count. So, I am, for all practical purposes, in the same boat as you are. I have probably 5-7 flights under by belt (two of them today).

1. Even I was wow'ed by the DJI marketing initially as a drone with such amazing capabilities. But logic, actually strike that, common sense dictates that you do your ground work before you buy it. For me, I read all I could about the Mavic. Next stop was this forum. Mostly lurking silently, ingesting all the knowledge you can get from people.

2. Realize that even though DJI calls it a flying camera, that thing is a serious piece of equipment, electronics and engineering. The cost itself should have told you that.

3. Most importantly, I Read The F*%&^*^ Manual (RTFM) that people are referring to. Common sense again dictates that when you have paid 1299 for a gadget, you will spend time reading the manual to know how it operates.

4. As a beginner, I am terrified to let my drone out of sight. But that does not mean I keep it wrapped in slick wrap inside my house. I fly to practice. There is a reason people ask you to maintain VLOS. So that things like this do not happen. If you are a seasoned flyer, sure enough. Fly wherever you want. Otherwise, first practice. Which most definitely translates to DO NOT FLY OUT OF SIGHT.

5. Yes, again DJI's marketing claims tons of things. Actually, they are not claims. They have been demonstrated to be true by many people on these forums. Please ingest information before you want to set out on a foolhardy mission. I read stuff here for about 3-4 days before I even ventured to fly my drone.

6. I too made mistakes. Third flight out, backyard, vertically climbing to about 200 ft, ground conditions said no wind, higher conditions mentioned 5-10 mph gusts. Mavic was hovering for the most part. When I tried to bring it back in when it gave me a wind warning, the wind pushed it farther out. Out of sight. Was flying VLOS from inside the house, since it was directly overhead. Had to jump into 12 inches of snow in shorts and tees, no footwear. From then on, lesson learnt. VLOS means controllable VLOS. If I had not read the forums about switching to sport mode and dropping altitude, I may have had a broken Mavic, or lost one, much like you. The difference, I took time out to learn things. Not go by specs and marketing.

Take it from a newbie, you were stupid to fly without doing your due diligence in learning how to fly the **** thing. You did everything wrong from A-Z. I beg to differ with people here. This was not pilot error. This was stupidity. Plain and simple. People are here to help. In the 3-4 weeks I have been on this forum, I have learnt more about flying drones than I would have done so in probably a year. When you buy something sophisticated, learn to understand and appreciate it. Most importantly, LEARN ITS LIMITS. That is your responsibility.

Good morning Adwaraki, Thanks for all your comment. Stupidity to trust the company that sold my drone. Who sat limit? They did on a box where it clearly states with clear vision clear sky you can go about 7km distance from your taking off point. I believe here that they are the one who sat limit. Before sending this beast to a stupid customer who doesn't have much experience write in big characters. Keep in it sight don't trust what we write. Don't trust anything about what we said. Do not feel confident enough you can fly it although it is written easy to fly. Do not see the lovely students and young experienced influences paid by us to make videos. You know what? Buy a 1300€ with all those super spec and use it in your garden. I am new and a monkey. I do what I see and want to exploit the performance for what I bought this thingy bobby for. So first time you full refund me the drone or offer a free training to beginners including in the price. 5 lessons before starting to fly it. A message when you update the firmware for the first time. Are you inexperienced pilot? Follow the link and John will explain you how to use the drone. Not to mention that you sell this in Europe but in English????? Which is not my first language. So now they pay me back or a chargeback the card. Simple as that.

Now go and deal with you arrogance. Stupidity is such a vague concept and you are applying it to me just on the base of the few notions you learn about this devices. You have to see the broader picture. The beginner prospective. The desire to buy this thing to reach certain performances.
I was in Iceland at the end of December. Windy day not even took it out of the box. Try to fly it 200m from the falls.Gimbal shaking error. Brought it back home.

Now, I knew the area, I knew it was a fabulous day. The wind doesn't show anywhere on the map. When I got "Wind caution alert" I have landed it. When are these bloody best conditions there to fly it at it's best? Why RTH didn't trigger when I was repeatedly pressing on the app when it was hovering before disconnecting? Why app disconnects so much with android ????

Will DJI explain this to me?

Will they be a bit fairer on their spec? Will they are assist beginners some how?

Will they localize the app in each mother tongue language where they do operate?

As a beginner I have never been terrified of anything. ( MOD REMOVED )

Last edited by a moderator:
Man to be fair on the support they treated me in very kind way. It was mental as hell. They were really nice, all of them to take my complaints when I was furious. The problem is the after sale department. Tech support.
They do everything they can to pass you on the right stakeholder for your case.
It's there that the mess starts.
I have experienced similar situation with my spark.
It seems that they have standard reply. Then when you dispute they will just attach the manual.
Then when you ask to take in consideration all the points the whole flight record trying to put themselves in a pilot shoes who paid 1300€ for this super drone according to spec, they come up with the easiest sentence:"Pilot Error".
And we have tons of professors in this thread that come up with their arrogance and blame the pilot.
It's not a race to who is the better pilot here it is a matter to not respect your specifications on the box. I won't dig down the manual. I will trust what you show me on the tutorials and on your website to acquire a new customer. Therefore this people are to sue to Welcome to EASA and have to be forced to change their specs on their products.

From their specs on the website:
--- snip ---
Max Transmission Distance FCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km)
SRRC Compliant: 2.5mi (4 km)
MIC Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)
--- snip ---

The CE marking is the manufacturer's (DJI) declaration that the product meets the requirements of the applicable EC directives.
That means the the transmit power has to meet a criteria as follows:

Transmitter Power (EIRP)
FCC:<=26 dBm
CE:<=20 dBm
SRRC: <=20 dBm
MIC: <=18 dBm

In simple words: while being somewhere in the European Union, there is a limited power output. (less range)

Thanks I see. So why don't they translate the app in my language and the manual as well and change the specs on the box?

When you buy a car the car manufacturer doesn't teach you to drive. When you buy a tool the manufacturer doesn't teach you to use it. When you buy a camera the manufacturer won't teach you to become a pro photographer.

It is YOUR job and responsibility to get proper training to use the tools you buy.
Some responsible people on here spend a month or 2 reading documentation, asking advice and making sure they understand the details before their first flight. Some take courses with one of the many drone schools. Responsible people will do many flights just close around them to get practice, test different functions and make sure their understanding is correct before they throw their thing out in the blue in complex environment.

What you did is like buying a car and because the specs say it can drive 250km/h the first time you took it out you went to drive 250km/h in a town. If you get a fine and crash it's your fault and sheer stupidity, it's not the manufacturer's fault.

Thanks I see. So why don't they translate the app in my language and the manual as well
If that was a problem for you you should have returned the product without using it.

and change the specs on the box?
You will never find complete specs on a box. your job to read the detailed instructions and specs wherever they are posted (and they are).

Last edited:
Good morning Adwaraki, Thanks for all your comment. Stupidity to trust the company that sold my drone. Who sat limit? They did on a box where it clearly states with clear vision clear sky you can go about 7km distance from your taking off point. I believe here that they are the one who sat limit. Before sending this beast to a stupid customer who doesn't have much experience write in big characters. Keep in it sight don't trust what we write. Don't trust anything about what we said. Do not feel confident enough you can fly it although it is written easy to fly. Do not see the lovely students and young experienced influences paid by us to make videos. You know what? Buy a 1300€ with all those super spec and use it in your garden. I am new and a monkey. I do what I see and want to exploit the performance for what I bought this thingy bobby for. So first time you full refund me the drone or offer a free training to beginners including in the price. 5 lessons before starting to fly it. A message when you update the firmware for the first time. Are you inexperienced pilot? Follow the link and John will explain you how to use the drone. Not to mention that you sell this in Europe but in English????? Which is not my first language. So now they pay me back or a chargeback the card. Simple as that.

Now go and deal with you arrogance. Stupidity is such a vague concept and you are applying it to me just on the base of the few notions you learn about this devices. You have to see the broader picture. The beginner prospective. The desire to buy this thing to reach certain performances.
I was in Iceland at the end of December. Windy day not even took it out of the box. Try to fly it 200m from the falls.Gimbal shaking error. Brought it back home.

Now, I knew the area, I knew it was a fabulous day. The wind doesn't show anywhere on the map. When I got "Wind caution alert" I have landed it. When are these bloody best conditions there to fly it at it's best? Why RTH didn't trigger when I was repeatedly pressing on the app when it was hovering before disconnecting? Why app disconnects so much with android ????

Will DJI explain this to me?

Will they be a bit fairer on their spec? Will they are assist beginners some how?

Will they localize the app in each mother tongue language where they do operate?

As a beginner I have never been terrified of anything. YOU STUPID COWARD!
you really still don't get it do you

Let me try one more time.

Let us, for the moment, assume you are very rich. And 18. Just learning how to drive. You buy yourself a Ferrari. The Ferrari speedometer maxes out at 360 km/h. You are excited because of the specs. You want to enjoy the "beast". You take it out on the highway/freeway/autobahn. Rev it up and let it go. Climb to 220 km/h. Because you don't know how to drive properly, at that high speed, you clip something. Lose control. Total the car.

1. Did the manufacturer mention on the box, that you need to learn to drive properly before you take it out?
2. Did the manufacturer say anywhere on the box that the Ferrari came in that even though 360 km/h is the max, even driving at 220 km/h could be super dangerous if you don't know what the hell you are doing?
3. Did the manufacturer ever give you lessons on how to operate your Ferrari (although I suspect, you may be able to get lessons for such a pricey car). I am sure DJI offers such lessons for beginners at their stores.
4. The advantage you had in this case (with the Mavic) was you could learn from YouTube and forums. You cannot learn from YT how to drive. Did you use it?
5. What would happen if you tried to do a chargeback to Ferrari saying I am not satisfied with the product because nothing was mentioned on the box?

I mean, as a crude analogy, I hope that suffices. But I suspect it is not going to be enough because you don't seem to get common-sense. You have devolved into name-calling. Actually, strike that. Seems like you never evolved in the first place. Never mind. *facepalms again, jeez*

Also, here is why your chargeback stupidity will fail.

1. You bought a product and paid for it. DJI has proof that they delivered it to you.
2. DJI has proof that the drone flew. Which means you used it.
3. You now don't have a drone to return.
4. They have proof. You don't. Ipso, ergo, facto, case closed. DJI will provide proof. You cannot. The credit card company will side with them because they have fulfilled their side of the deal. And you sir, continue to devolve. Good day to you!

My friend cars are out there since ages and there are certain regulation in place and many other things.

Drones are relatively new to the public. It's still a grey market. You are comparing two things that are totally different.

For that concerning camera. I have always followed the specs. Just the once that all lazy people like me follow. Never had a problem.

With good weather conditions do not pass 120km p/h and do not go more than 20km far because the tank will be empty. I will stick on 100km and I won't worry when I am 7km if the gauge is red. I would said. Certainly a mistake. But the car doesn't disconnect

No. You professor and expert would like to make me feel a stupid because I trusted their marketing and their technology. Because I was so confident to push it to 2/3 of the advertised limit on the box.

You know what is the difference between this and a car or a phone or a camera, stupid comparison that people on this thread are doing? There is no return home there. But there is the return of the product.

If you tell me that Iphone 8 has certains specs and they failed to impress me. I will try them all then send the product back.

Same with a camera. Same with a car either.

But if a drone fails to trigger some sort of autopilot mechanism with 51% battery at 13 minutes when advertised for 30 minutes and 7km the problem is not of the pilot in the first place.

Is this clear to you now?

And in case you are Italian and complain that it is not available in Italian, someone had the free time and the generosity to translate it into Italian and POST IT where? The DJI FORUMS. Man, you will be damned!!!

MANUALE v1.2 ITA b.pdf

No. You professor and expert would like to make me feel a stupid because I trusted their marketing and their technology. Because I was so confident to push it to 2/3 of the advertised limit on the box.

You know what is the difference between this and a car or a phone or a camera, stupid comparison that people on this thread are doing? There is no return home there. But there is the return of the product.

If you tell me that Iphone 8 has certains specs and they failed to impress me. I will try them all then send the product back.

But if a drone fails to trigger some sort of autopilot mechanism with 51% battery at 13 minutes when advertised for 30 minutes and 7km the problem is not of the pilot in the first place.

I am Italian my friend. Is that my fault? They cost 1300€ and don't have a manual in my language.

Only:
English
German
Spanish
French

The imperialistic countries.

My friend cars are out there since ages and there are certain regulation in place and many other things.

Drones are relatively new to the public. It's still a grey market. You are comparing two things that are totally different.

For that concerning camera. I have always followed the specs. Just the once that all lazy people like me follow. Never had a problem.

With good weather conditions do not pass 120km p/h and do not go more than 20km far because the tank will be empty. I will stick on 100km and I won't worry when I am 7km if the gauge is red. I would said. Certainly a mistake. But the car doesn't disconnect

Ah well, never mind. The collective masses tried. This is a lost, basket case.

Thanks my bad.

How about the app when I fly it?

If you could get that too I will highly appreciate it

I am Italian my friend. Is that my fault? They cost 1300€ and don't have a manual in my language.

Only:
English
German
Spanish
French

See the effing post above this. I already pre-empted you to that. Do we need to teach you how to Google now? Gosh, man, instead of spending so much money on a effing Mavic, go buy yourself a brain and some common-sense on the side. Jeez, God save you.

You see, you are assuming that an invisible man exist and that should help me. You are certainly not the right person to talk about common sense and learning processes here. Or logic either.

Google.it is there in Italian. At the beginning of directories it was called Virgilio.

Do you think that trying to be smart and make me feel stupid will help this cause?

I have a Google Squared Certification too, to be fair.

Only:
English
German
Spanish
French

Last time I checked, DJI was a Chinese company.

But even Chinese nowadays are reading DJI's English MP user manual :)

WechatIMG199.jpeg

Only:
English
German
Spanish
French

Also, this just occurred to me. If they did not have a manual in your language, and it was such a big deal to you, why did you spend the 1300? o_O

So, are you trying to say that Chinese had to learn English otherwise they wouldn't go anywhere without the world dominating language, or that I am stupid because European and cannot read English whilst they do? In each case you are judging someone's capabilities upon their English degree level. Off topic.
I do not want to fight or upset anyone, I am sorry if used a strong language so far.
Fair enough for you to think that I am stupid and that this was a pilot error.
I won't get away with 15% discount though.
I'll stick on my stupidity.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661