DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hundreds violate FAA's Drone no fly zone at Albuquerque's Balloon fiesta

dirkclod

Reactions

Yep those are the idiots that are going to be the demise of the hobby industry.

Reactions: Palindrone
Wife and I attended a small balloon fest and it specifically said on the ticket "No Drones". I personally wouldn't want the liability of slicing a balloon with my drone. I'm a decent enough pilot but its better to just stay away from things like that.

Reactions: macoman
Really doesn't suprise me --- hot air balloons are like big blue whales in the sky and drones are like remora fish that are magnetically attracted to them and want to get REAL close.

Even this crazy paramotor kid can't keep away from the balloons:

Last edited:
Surely large scale violation like this is the type of thing Aeroscope should be deployed for - to ID, catch and prosecute.

It also proves this is why we cant have nice things. The drone community as a whole is too immature to self police.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Blame the idiots for failing to act sensibly and follow the existing rules for forcing the authorities to upgrade.

Surely large scale violation like this is the type of thing Aeroscope should be deployed for - to ID, catch and prosecute.

It also proves this is why we cant have nice things. The drone community as a whole is too immature to self police.
Relax. There are a lot of reasons this type of attitude makes no sense.
Same has been said about guns, motorcycles, cars, alcohol, airplanes, and so on.
There will always be criminals using innocent devices to commit crimes. I cant think of one thing that has been banned because of that.

Guns have laws (in most sane countries). Cars have laws. Alcohol has laws. Planes have laws.
There are also sanctions for violating those laws.

Ultimately it just shows the utter immaturity of the drone community in general in having zero respect for any laws or safety considerations. These should be prosecuted to the heaviest extent possible. Maybe then they'll grow up.

Reactions: ac0j
Relax. There are a lot of reasons this type of attitude makes no sense.
Same has been said about guns, motorcycles, cars, alcohol, airplanes, and so on.
There will always be criminals using innocent devices to commit crimes. I cant think of one thing that has been banned because of that.

Exactamundo!

Add up all the people killed by guns and cars in the last 10 years and then compare that to how many deaths caused by drones --- then we'll all see what items need to get banned --- and they sure aint drones.

The only laws that will come will only effect the people that think they can fly wherever they want because "ONLY the FAA can control airspace" If you ever have to use that defense, you are flying where you probably shouldn't be.

If you read, or listen, to this report you may note that these incidents were technically a violation of the four mile exclusion zone but none of them were serious enough for the distance they flew into the exclusion zone to be noted. All of these crossings were very likely accidental and small in distance. This report is very much like a report that half the cars on a road were exceeding the speed limit.

Yawn!

Nick

Really doesn't suprise me --- hot air balloons are like big blue whales in the sky and drones are like remora fish that are magnetically attracted to them and want to get REAL close.

Even this crazy paramotor kid can't keep away from the balloons:

That’s photoshop for sure:(

Give em an easy way out :confused:

If "hundreds" violate some rule, and nothing serious happens, then the rule is unfair (or foolish).

Last edited:
If "hundreds" violate some rule, and nothing serious happens, then the rule is unfair (or fullish).
I agree, on the other hand

How would you feel, if you was in the one of those Hot Air Balloons?
Being circled by a drone...
not that safe:(
Tough call

I’m a rule breaker but...

I fly over crowds so who am I to judge:rolleyes:

Exactamundo!

Add up all the people killed by guns and cars in the last 10 years and then compare that to how many deaths caused by drones --- then we'll all see what items need to get banned --- and they sure aint drones.

A few years ago, before drones,I looked into the stats. In 25+ years there were only 4 deaths associated with RC planes & helicopters. Only one of those was a spectator. Has anyone been killed by a drone yet?

If you read, or listen, to this report you may note that these incidents were technically a violation of the four mile exclusion zone but none of them were serious enough for the distance they flew into the exclusion zone to be noted. All of these crossings were very likely accidental and small in distance. This report is very much like a report that half the cars on a road were exceeding the speed limit.

Yawn!

Nick
This is why I would love in all GPS based drones from all manufacturers to come with some kind of nfz installed and updated automatically to keep the morons that wants to fly in prohibited areas grounded.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada