DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hundreds violate FAA's no drone fly zone at Balloon Fiesta

Nuke em all and let G-d sort em out? There must be a better answer.
You cant fix stupid, there are many that will continue to thumb their nose at the rules and regulations and do dumb things over and over until they cannot afford to continue doing it.

Reactions: Former Member
Beware the flying Paparazzi. I wonder how many of them are using drones these days to spy on celebs?
If they believe what they read here, you cant make out any facial details beyond 50 feet with the sub par optics on a Mavic. That's why its OK to fly within 100 feet of motel balconies (heard from those who do that type of thing):D

I still feel bad for people like @Norb_DAIS who was innocently flying his drone into an airspace he thought to be open. If we start painting everyone with the same brush and imposing harsh penalties to anyone who violates restricted airspace of any kind, I worry about the end result.

Reactions: Oconnb910 and AeroJ
I still feel bad for people like @Norb_DAIS who was innocently flying his drone into an airspace he thought to be open. If we start painting everyone with the same brush and imposing harsh penalties to anyone who violates restricted airspace of any kind, I worry about the end result.
I am sympathetic as well. I truly believe he will get a wrist slap and a small fine. BUT, that being said, it is our responsibility to KNOW where we are and where we are flying.

I am sympathetic as well. I truly believe he will get a wrist slap and a small fine. BUT, that being said, it is our responsibility to KNOW where we are and where we are flying.

I think he knew where he was and where he was flying. Unfortunately for him, the local authorities claimed jurisdiction. I dont feel like he was flouting the law, just trying to get some video of some windmills.

When I was flying big RC planes, the first field I was flying at was 5 minutes from my house. 1 year later the field had to shut down and move because there were so many noise complaints from the newly developed subdivisions. We moved 5 miles north. 3 years later, same story. Had to move 15 miles further north. Now I had to drive an hour just to fly my plane. Were the subdivisions right? Maybe. Were we wrong? Not really. But they had more money and lawyers, and we didnt.

Reactions: Oconnb910
I violate ‘No fly zone’ all the time but....... I don’t put Folks lives at Risk. I’m talking about the no fly around the PUGET SOUND downtown Olympia. Over the water nobody in danger.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
You may note that in no case did this report note any significant intrusions into the exclusion zone. Were these intrusions a few yards or very far? If the contractor had evidence of a significant and thus dangerous intrusion, do you think the reporter, and the editors, would have left that out of the report? A violation for sure, but if only a short distance, what did it matter?

Nick

There's a huge pile of cash laying on that desk, however, you may note that I'm not going to steal it all. I'm just going to steal a few dollars of it. A violation for sure, but I only stole a little of it.

Every time drone owners break the law, government regulations just keep getting tighter and tighter until one day, they're going to say, "well, you can't abide by the rules, then it's all over for you."

Breaking the law is breaking the law. There's no breaking it just a little.

Bud

You may note that in no case did this report note any significant intrusions into the exclusion zone. Were these intrusions a few yards or very far? If the contractor had evidence of a significant and thus dangerous intrusion, do you think the reporter, and the editors, would have left that out of the report? A violation for sure, but if only a short distance, what did it matter?

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: gobama84
There's a huge pile of cash laying on that desk, however, you may note that I'm not going to steal it all. I'm just going to steal a few dollars of it. A violation for sure, but I only stole a little of it.

Every time drone owners break the law, government regulations just keep getting tighter and tighter until one day, they're going to say, "well, you can't abide by the rules, then it's all over for you."

Breaking the law is breaking the law. There's no breaking it just a little.

Bud
Things are not working this way, I think.

Law violators, are already regulated. Law pre-exists and violation follows.

Drone flying was forbidden during fiesta. What stricter?

So the only thing that I don't agree with on this is the fact that the information is supposed to be provided to the people! It kind of is the responsibility of the pilot to make sure to get the information especially for a specific locale!
Turn over the info to the FBI? I'm wondering if the reported got FBI and FAA confused.

The real problem from this article is that most people are not given information about NFZ.

BTW, can anyone checked to see if Fiesta Park is really a NFZ? I honestly don't know.

Illegal flights happen all of the time. I see the _real_ issue as a lack of education. Heck, lots of people within this very forum get the laws incorrect.

How many times have people stated there is a 400' cap for hoppy flight. How many times have people not understood what VLOS means. How many times have people asked if they need to call an airport. The list goes on and on. Again, the _REAL_ problem is that people are not getting the correct information. I'd semi-agree that requiring people to take a test would help... but only a little. A better and easier thing would be for drone manufactures to include simply guidelines with every drone they sell. Put something in the box that someone can read. The drone registration did _nothing_ to help with these _real_ issues. The FAA continues to screw up this job.

I have a hard time believing that number. The forensics guy claims an 11 mile range. So the brunt of that number is probably outside the NFZ. Everybody I know wouldn't touch the Balloon Fiasco with a 10 meter cattle prod...including me. Besides, getting GREAT balloon footage OUTSIDE the NFZ is pretty easy. 200 drones...puleeze...

I have a hard time believing that number. The forensics guy claims an 11 mile range. So the brunt of that number is probably outside the NFZ. Everybody I know wouldn't touch the Balloon Fiasco with a 10 meter cattle prod...including me. Besides, getting GREAT balloon footage OUTSIDE the NFZ is pretty easy. 200 drones...puleeze...

To quote from KRQE:

"Luckily for this pilot, they stayed out of the no-fly zone, but that's not the case for many of the 458 drones detected within the past few days. Almost half crossed over into the no-fly zone."​
So do you actually have a good reason "not to believe" this quite clear statement, or are you simply making stuff up?

So I am curious how all of these drones were able to get up in the air with geofencing and no fly zone in place? I know I can't get mine up in the air in a nfz.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet