DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hypothetical

Sandwich

Reactions
If a UAV can lift a pound of weight, can it lift “the last pound”?
I ask this because I’m considering using my UAV to lift the final pound of a manned vehicle. My Grandson is 58 lbs. using helium, I can reduce his weight to the point where my UAV can lift, and in calm winds, steer his flight.
Any positive feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: NoScreenNamesLeft
I ask this because I’m considering using my UAV to lift the final pound of a manned vehicle. My Grandson is 58 lbs. using helium, I can reduce his weight to the point where my UAV can lift, and in calm winds, steer his flight.
That’s awesome! What a cool grandparent you are :cool:. I wouldn’t tell mom and dad though... what they don’t know can’t hurt em

I don’t think this is a very good idea. For starters, if you attach the balloons and it gets away from you you’ll never see it again.

• Haha
Reactions: brett8883
My plan is to keep any flight low and slow, with me at the control. Then if all goes well, mount my control and let him pilot. Flights kept within 6feet of the ground.

If I mounted to individual arms of the drone I’m not sure how that might disrupt its auto control, but if I use a center attachment point, I lose the ability to point and control.
Anyway, it’s a project that we can do together. One day, when I’m dead, he’ll get pleny of laughs from it.

I just wanted to run the idea past a few skeptical adults before approaching my Son, his Wife and Grandson. I may not tell my daughter in law....

Last edited:
I don’t think this is a very good idea. For starters, if you attach the balloons and it gets away from you you’ll never see it again.
I can attach a rope as a safety, and if it will barely lift the weight, any loss of UAV will bring it down slowly....I think.lol

As a father of three little ones, I love the idea of challenging their minds. And this experiment sounds fun. You even had me a little curious, so I did a brief google searches and calculations. Have you done that yet?

You need:
- 703 cubic feet of helium at a cost of over $1000, that doesn’t include the three 5 foot tall steel cylinders needed for transport.
- 1,742 standard sized 11” balloons. If you want less balloons, you can always go for the jumbo 3 foot wide balloons, you’ll only need 50 of those suckers.

You might want to let the local new channels know, it will definitely make the nightly news. You will look something like the grandpa lifting his house in the movie UP.

You could peek his curious by starting on a smaller scale to see just how much helium is need to generate lift. Any chance you have a small cat interested in aviation?

Oh, and don’t forget to get your HazMat endorsement for transporting those pressurized cylinders if you don’t want to pay for a delivery service.

And we want videos!!! ?

Last edited:

It's not the weight or last pound that you will have a problem with; it's the mass. It's like asking a rowboat to steer a cruise ship. They're both floating, but too much mass to move with a rowboat or drone.

Reactions: sdold and Hegemone
As a father of three little ones, I love the idea of challenging their minds. And this experiment sounds fun. You even had me a little curious, so I did a brief google searches and calculations. Have you done that yet?

You need:
- 703 cubic feet of helium at a cost of over $1000, that doesn’t include the three 5 foot tall steel cylinders needed for transport.
- 1,742 standard sized 11” balloons. If you want less balloons, you can always go for the jumbo 3 foot wide balloons, you’ll only need 50 of those suckers.

You might want to let the local new channels know, it will definitely make the nightly news. You will look something like the grandpa lifting his house in the movie UP.

You could peek his curious by starting on a smaller scale to see just how much helium is need to generate lift. Any chance you have a small cat interested in aviation?

Oh, and don’t forget to get your HazMat endorsement for transporting those pressurized cylinders if you don’t want to pay for a delivery service.

And we want videos!!! ?
This hair brained idea is in its infancy, and you have given some great input. That’s why I posted the idea, to get this kind of input and thought process. Thanks.
My plan was to use flights already done using helium balloons and incorporate a Mavic and Smart Controller as a means of controlled flight. And the most important part, I dont face this challenge alone, I have an 8 year old to help me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmileyGC
Just make sure that this is well thought out and there are safety precautions in place. 58 lb kids are very resilient. Ask me how I know. :)

I used to jump off 8 foot roofs as a kid and practice rolling out of it into the grass below. People thought I was nuts. I was not nuts , but at that age I thought I was virtually indestructible. That was actually a tame example of some of the things I have done. :)

Then you get older and that thought process slowly changes...

It's not the weight or last pound that you will have a problem with; it's the mass. It's like asking a rowboat to steer a cruise ship. They're both floating, but too much mass to move with a rowboat or drone.
Dang Skippy, didn't even consider that. All the balloons will be lifting in a specific vector. Movement in any other vector will not benefit from the balloons assistance (in full or part).

It's so easy to get caught up looking at trees and end lost in the forest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe153