DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hypothetical

I’m debating on sharing any video for that very reason....and some silly claim of child endangerment. That topic has already come up here on this forum. After wondering why children have become such whimps, I see they’re just a product of their environment.

My problem isn't so much with the danger as it is with the plan itself. It's "nobody can tell me what to do" mixed with an ill-conceived idea and an unwillingness to take advice from those with more knowledge about the physics involved. Which is odd considering you came here for advice. The plan presented here is like that in a children's book written by an author who is not well versed in physics. You should at lease use sound engineering ideas and give up on the drone idea. Using something that makes sense for propulsion, like a cordless leaf blower. At least he'd learn something.

It's a technological upgrade to Ballon Boy
I was involved in this as part of SAR.

I had forgotten all about "Balloon Boy." Hopefully this one will have a better outcome.

C'mon its hardly as dangerous as ridng a moderate trail on a mountain bike.
What it is though is Boring, the kid will be hanging there wobbling a couple of feet off the ground whilst gramps get's his kicks trying to move the thing with his toy drone.

About as exciting for the kid as being shoved on a playground swing, give him the opportunity to be in control himself and add some speed or more percieved risk if you want to be Juniors hero.
Your idea is frankly tame and lame.

Reactions: DrDrew3
My problem isn't so much with the danger as it is with the plan itself. It's "nobody can tell me what to do" mixed with an ill-conceived idea and an unwillingness to take advice from those with more knowledge about the physics involved. Which is odd considering you came here for advice. The plan presented here is like that in a children's book written by an author who is not well versed in physics. You should at lease use sound engineering ideas and give up on the drone idea. Using something that makes sense for propulsion, like a cordless leaf blower. At least he'd learn something.

Original Post: “Any positive feedback or suggestions would be appreciated”

...Gets feedback and suggestions

All Subsequent Replies from OP: “I don’t really want any feedback or suggestions - just yanking your chains”

Reactions: sdold
Original Post: “Any positive feedback or suggestions would be appreciated”

...Gets feedback and suggestions

All Subsequent Replies from OP: “I don’t really want any feedback or suggestions - just yanking your chains”
I'm finding the replies are as interesting as the request.

For my children, I always tried to give them opportunities that stretched their imagination and capabilities. My neighbor once told me that I needed to tell my Son what the limits were. I take issue with that thought process.

I think by "limits", he probably meant the limits of "good" behavior, responsibility, sleeping, studying, etc? I don't think he meant that anyone should tell their kids they are incapable of accomplishing something.

Anyway, I love your idea of the helium balloon...I think I saw one of those in a Steve Martin movie many years ago? Using a drone for control is quite interesting...and yes, any drone can lift "the last pound"...perhaps you'd wanna use a fully-caged type drone, for safety?

My plan is to keep any flight low and slow, with me at the control. Then if all goes well, mount my control and let him pilot. Flights kept within 6feet of the ground.

If I mounted to individual arms of the drone I’m not sure how that might disrupt its auto control, but if I use a center attachment point, I lose the ability to point and control.
Anyway, it’s a project that we can do together. One day, when I’m dead, he’ll get pleny of laughs from it.

I just wanted to run the idea past a few skeptical adults before approaching my Son, his Wife and Grandson. I may not tell my daughter in law....

Individual arms...I think that would be fine...that said, yawing will be very slow I'd think, and then once yawing starts, it'll be hard to stop...just so much weight/intertia involved.

Maybe use center point and just give up on pointing until you see how the basics are working.

Also...

How are you going to limit the flight to 6 feet?

After reading all this my question is why not build a custom drone if your about a learning experience then build your only drone. Reason 1 no safety on the motors for high demand and auto shut off. 2 no auto shut off of the drone tilts over too far pulling against the mass. As we all know on DJI stuff anything not just right with it’s flight and it’s unhappy.

If a locomotive were suspended in air, could you move it? I think I can.
I went hot air ballooning, the basket carried 6 to 8 people, plus the pilot, plus a gas cylinder and torch and framework. Though it created a large surface, it took little wind to move it vertically..

Sandwich, that's because the balloon has a large surface area...it "catches' a lot of wind.

Reactions: sar104
Crash rest dummy time, can we vote on nominations? :) JK...

I would try it with a scaled down dead weight model first...

Hypothetically speaking...what is the weight of the down draft on the balloons generated by the propellers...
how are you assuring the center of gravity...how much weight does the tether add (I hope theirs a tether in
this thought experiment). Get some VR goggles, thats cheaper than a trip to the Emergency Room.

Of course you must take into consideration the chance of wind drift. A Mavic Pro can hold its own against an 18mph wind. But what happens when the wind blows on all that surface area of the balloons? It will multiply greatly the horizontal force the quadcopter has to deal with. What will be in control the quadcopter or the wind?

Anyway, it’s a project that we can do together. One day, when I’m dead, he’ll get pleny of laughs from it.

And that is what it is all about. MEMORIES! I can hear the conversation 50 years later between your grandson and his grandson.

Grandpa, I want to go to alpha centari.

Well, I have an old flux capacitor in the garage. If I can get it working you could get there and back before supper.

Grandpa, can I take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with me to eat. You know, the kind you used to have.

Certainly. I'll even find you a Milkyway candy bar for a snack.

Great grandpa, lets do it!

If a UAV can lift a pound of weight, can it lift “the last pound”?
I ask this because I’m considering using my UAV to lift the final pound of a manned vehicle. My Grandson is 58 lbs. using helium, I can reduce his weight to the point where my UAV can lift, and in calm winds, steer his flight.
Any positive feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Absolutely. Wouldn't hesitate. Sounds like a blast.

D

If a UAV can lift a pound of weight, can it lift “the last pound”?
I ask this because I’m considering using my UAV to lift the final pound of a manned vehicle. My Grandson is 58 lbs. using helium, I can reduce his weight to the point where my UAV can lift, and in calm winds, steer his flight.
Any positive feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you given thought to change in lift due to temperature? What seems "balanced" at launch could change rapidly as air temperature varies.

If the helium is too costly, get some beers in and the BBQ going and invite all your drone buddies over.
Attach their drones to the young lad, have one commander to keep order and direct the drones buddies and lift and fly in unison. Ensure obstical avoidance is enabled on all drones...
I might even fly in from Thailand to video it.... I will bring the Osmo, but in case he gets some height, I will also bring the M2Z...

It might get a 'Darwin Award'!!

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Why would the last pound be any different to any other pound?, what a strange question
Not a strange notion at all. It’s like buoyancy to a diver.
Child weighs 58 lbs, support 57 lbs with helium, then lift the remaining (last) pound with the sUAS... easy!
Now, as to moving and controlling the towed mass, potential flyaways, safety line, etc... that’s for other comments to address.
Interesting concept; even some fun for the ‘flyer’? Like neutral buoyancy underwater.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost