DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I’m amazed how the Yagi-Uda Antennas work.

silverdragon

Reactions
I decided to take a gamble on a set of YAGI’s antenna for the MA2 & MM. I received both today via Prime.
Both are TOMAT 5.8 GHz

Mavic Air 2
Without antenna 2875 ft in location A
With YAGI 3795 ft

Mavic Mini
I will do the same flight location with the Mini another time.

Attachments

• 19C2825C-3C85-4AF3-BC26-191607292B57.jpeg
    19C2825C-3C85-4AF3-BC26-191607292B57.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I wasn't sure how they would work on MA2 and MM but I had a few extra bucks to spend so I picked up the pr for $18.00. I dont find them annoying at all. I find them interesting. I find them as an additional part of my RC.. If I can get a stronger signal for the drone and RC that's a plus in my book. I like the idea that they really work and I didnt waste my money.

Last edited:
Drone Valley just did a great video on how the Yagis work and compared them to the parabolic reflectors. The concept is to capture the part of the signal that goes backwards from the remote and redirects it forward. When redirected, the way he described it was the Yagis throw the radio beam in a narrow beam, while the parabolics throw the signal at a wider angle. He also mentioned that you can use both Yagis and parabolic together.

I've had Yagis for some time and because of trees and other interference I haven't been able to have much success in very much additional distance. Perhaps it's because I didn't have the antennae aimed properly as, with my Mini I've only gone out 2600 feet before losing signal in some instances and chickening out about there as well. My M2 has been out 3000' without a booster, and I'm not interested in competing for the distance championship, but having a bit more signal strength when in a high interference area.

Drone Valley just did a great video on how the Yagis work and compared them to the parabolic reflectors. The concept is to capture the part of the signal that goes backwards from the remote and redirects it forward. When redirected, the way he described it was the Yagis throw the radio beam in a narrow beam, while the parabolics throw the signal at a wider angle. He also mentioned that you can use both Yagis and parabolic together.

I've had Yagis for some time and because of trees and other interference I haven't been able to have much success in very much additional distance. Perhaps it's because I didn't have the antennae aimed properly as, with my Mini I've only gone out 2600 feet before losing signal in some instances and chickening out about there as well. My M2 has been out 3000' without a booster, and I'm not interested in competing for the distance championship, but having a bit more signal strength when in a high interference area.
I have one area to fly and it happens to be at a location that you can see 3 towns. It's on a high piece of ground. Standing on the high land looking west I flew 10,250 feet with the M2Z using stock antenna I have not tried the YAGIS yet but I will. Looking East i can see 2 1/2 miles I fly that but I have to stop because the city high rises and the city. Lastly, looking north I see 10 miles out and able to fly 7,360 feet. So the moral of this story is this, I'm going to fly all 3 directions with the Yagis and see if there a small difference . I am going to use the parabolic dish with the Yagis and experiment with that.

I have one area to fly and it happens to be at a location that you can see 3 towns. It's on a high piece of ground. Standing on the high land looking west I flew 10,250 feet with the M2Z using stock antenna I have not tried the YAGIS yet but I will. Looking East i can see 2 1/2 miles I fly that but I have to stop because the city high rises and the city. Lastly, looking north I see 10 miles out and able to fly 7,360 feet. So the moral of this story is this, I'm going to fly all 3 directions with the Yagis and see if there a small difference . I am going to use the parabolic dish with the Yagis and experiment with that.
I'm interested to know how that all works out for you. I'm going to have to find a good vantage point like that nearby where there is something interesting to shoot.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I am not sure you would get any benefit from using both a Yagi and parabolic antenna and may even see a degradation of the signal. From my understanding the Yagi catches indirect signals by branching off the main antenna. While a parabolic antenna refracts the signal waves out in a conical pattern. My bet is that the parabolic antenna would refract the signal back into the Yagi causing impedance. Essentially a large amount of interference or signal redundancy.

There is not harm in trying the combination as your Mavic Air 2 has Return to Home (RTH). Or you can just take them off it does not work.

Your location sound about like mine. Open area then city. Urban areas are tough as the wifi saturation the main culprit of signal loss. I have been thinking about the Alientech Duo II. It is a powered 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz antenna and from what I have seen in both reviews and technical specs it should help. But it requires opening the controller and about $350.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I am not sure you would get any benefit from using both a Yagi and parabolic antenna.

I'm not sure either and I noticed this thread is about discussing the signal from the remote to the drone.

Nobody has mentioned the signal from the drone back to the remote.

I would think that the addition of a parabolic reflector would help capture the signal coming from the drone to the remote which is key for a two way communication and a better flight.

I dunno. ?

My experience has been similar. The product is solid, both in theory and real world experience. Used properly, It really work !!!

A few important Notes:
1) The Yagi antenna is tuned to the 5Ghz range only. It does not offer much help the 2.4Ghz gain. Just to set expectations, it's only going to help in the frequency range it's tuned for.
2) Antenna gain (unlike amplifier gain) is symmetrical, IE it's helps in both directions (controller to drone AND drone to controller).
3) The parabolic product is tuned to the 2.4Ghz range only. It does not offer much help the 5Ghz gain. Again, Just to set expectations, it's only going to help in the frequency range it's tuned for.
4) The two products/technologies together will not interference with each other.
5) Both products are helpful if your controller is set to auto select frequency. if the controller locked to one frequency range, you will only see improvement by using the product that matches the frequency range.

I decided to take a gamble on a set of YAGI’s antenna for the MA2 & MM. I received both today via Prime.
Both are TOMAT 5.8 GHz

Mavic Air 2
With YAGI 3795 ft

Mavic Mini
I was just on Amazon looking for this, and there's a wide variety available. Which specific one did you purchase, please?

Both are TOMAT 5.8 GHz

Mavic Air 2
With YAGI 3795 ft

Mavic Mini
Do you think it will work OK with the iPad 10" adapter mounted also? Thanks much.

3) The parabolic product is tuned to the 2.4Ghz range only. It does not offer much help the 5Ghz gain. Again, Just to set expectations, it's only going to help in the frequency range it's tuned for.
4) The two products/technologies together will not interference with each other.
Unfortunately, both of the above two statements are completely wrong.
Unlike the Yagis, the parabolic windsurfer is not tuned to any frequency. It simply focuses the signal, regardless of the frequency band. I have been successfully using parabolic windsurfers on the P4P set to only the Auto 5.8Ghz band for years with stellar results. The frequency specific 5.8Ghz Yagi in front of the parabolic windsurfer actually physically interferes with the proper focusing of the parabolic shape of the windsurfer, degrading its performance, with no improvement due to the Yagi when inside the windsurfer. I have tried both antenna modifiers together on the Mavic 2 Pro RC, set to Auto Frequency, and signal was significantly worse than with the parabolic windsurfer alone. I had to remove the Yagis to restore the signal. They do physically interfere with each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
I am not sure you would get any benefit from using both a Yagi and parabolic antenna and may even see a degradation of the signal. From my understanding the Yagi catches indirect signals by branching off the main antenna. While a parabolic antenna refracts the signal waves out in a conical pattern. My bet is that the parabolic antenna would refract the signal back into the Yagi causing impedance. Essentially a large amount of interference or signal redundancy.

There is not harm in trying the combination as your Mavic Air 2 has Return to Home (RTH). Or you can just take them off it does not work.

Your location sound about like mine. Open area then city. Urban areas are tough as the wifi saturation the main culprit of signal loss. I have been thinking about the Alientech Duo II. It is a powered 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz antenna and from what I have seen in both reviews and technical specs it should help. But it requires opening the controller and about $350.
Confirmed! Major interference, when used together!

You’re better off going for the 2.4ghz tuned yagis if you really want to maximize range. 2.4ghz has properties that are more favorable to long range, and 5.8ghz is shorter range with favorable properties for higher data rates...

Regardless of which band you choose, be sure that you’re going into the menus and taking the connection out of auto mode and selecting the band that your yagis are using specifically. If your drone pops over to 2.4 while you have 5.8 yagis on, your yagis aren’t going to be resonant for that frequency.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998