DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I added a second battery to the controller

no i use a sony experia phone, its fully charged before i go out and uses little power in airplane mode after 6 batteries its usually at 60

There's normally no need to charge the controller for just 3 Mavic batteries.

Agree.. This seems like pointless added weight and more stuff to carry around and attach before flying. My controller doesn't even go below 70% after 3 batteries...IOS. Also the controller batteries need to be depleted ever now and then. Keeping them fully charged is going to damage the battery life even more.

i could see if u were going camping or out on a long hike and after u went thru the 3 batteries 2 times u wanted to charge the rc if u were not near power,its a good idea i suppose, i always carry a battery bank with me in my mavic bag in case i need to power up some thing usb but i dont use it much, in fact i never have but its there in case

i always carry a battery bank with me in my mavic bag in case i need to power up some thing usb but i dont use it much, in fact i never have but its there in case
Same here - to the point where I don't even carry it around any more. It just wasn't necessary.

Or use the Mavic battery USB adapter which was designed precisely for that scenario. No actual extra battery to carry.

you could do that but then you use up one of the mavic battery :( if this post helps some people out that's cool that's all this post is for i didn't post it to debate back and forth about if you need to or not :)

I think we got off the topic a little bit :) anyways if it works for you cool :) also try to keep in mind when people look this up they don't want to Scholl thru a post reading about a debate they are just looking for info :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmo
Strange. I have 4 batteries and my RC is fine (50 or 60%) after 4 full flights. I'm using iPad Mini 4 since Sept. Before that I used a S5, Nexus 5x and Nexus 9 and never had this problem either.

I've used two Mavic Pro RCs, one from Oct 2016 and the other from Jan 2017 - both seemed to be about the same in terms of power. Certainly worse than the P3/P4 controllers but fine for at least a half dozen flights.

Are you flying in cold temps? I am not - it's always nice in California!

View attachment 32873 I have notice the battery In the controller drops fast well I think it does so I added other battery to the controller I bought one of those battery bank that you can buy to charge cell phones with. I used Velcro to hold the battery bank in place

bought a 5,000mah with a display that tells me how much of a charge it has and it has two usb ports on it. I plug it in on the side of the controller. my ipad mini 4 is plug in on the bottom usb on the controller

so when I am flying the battery bank charges the controller as I fly
smile.gif

I have 3 batteries for the mavic :) so I need the controller charge up as much as I can :)
I like it !!

wow ... well I can say that I've noticed the same thing on my rig and I added a 22k power bank. I attributed it the controller trying to keep my nVidia shield tablet topped off. Its connected via the bottom center USB port. So I just figured, what the heck, better safe than sorry. My flashlight goes dim when the batteries weaken, I don't want my controller to go dim while the MPP is a mile away from home.
I stick the battery bank in my pocket and have nothing to worry about as far as the controller and monitor display power is concerned.

I fly 5 batteries with my mavicpro, and the RC drops down to about 40%. But for some reason my Mavic Platinum the RC dies a lot quicker. A lot.

I would like to point out a few things on why I uses this setup

yes I fly in the cold ( batteries discharge faster)

as with any battery overtime it will not hold a charge like it uses to ( this would help with that problem)

I don't like plugging my charger into the controller cause over time I bet that usb port will wear out
sad.gif
So my cable always stays plug in on the side I charger it thru the battery pack. IF I don't need to charge it I just leave the battery pack off
smile.gif
cheaper to replace a battery pack then a controller :)

I will also be using an android phone too! when that is plug in it charges the phone thru the controller :( so this helps with that problem :)

one thing to keep in mind is of course this depends on what "setting" a person is using in the dji go app :)

those are just a few reasons why :)

You're more likely to break the controller's USB port by inadvertently bumping the plug that sticks out than by connecting/disconnecting the cable.

You're more likely to break the controller's USB port by inadvertently bumping the plug that sticks out than by connecting/disconnecting the cable.

that could be I guess time will tell

View attachment 32873 I have notice the battery In the controller drops fast well I think it does so I added other battery to the controller I bought one of those battery bank that you can buy to charge cell phones with. I used Velcro to hold the battery bank in place

bought a 5,000mah with a display that tells me how much of a charge it has and it has two usb ports on it. I plug it in on the side of the controller. my ipad mini 4 is plug in on the bottom usb on the controller

so when I am flying the battery bank charges the controller as I fly
smile.gif

I have 3 batteries for the mavic :) so I need the controller charge up as much as I can :)
Never even thought of that. I have a 11000mah pack. Velcro - yep. Thanks

I have an Anker 10000mah stuck to back of my RC with velcro and works a treat. I can understand people saying there is no need for such a thing, but I have it just in case I forget to charge my phone/tablet/RC.....

This THREAD's name is wrong. this is added POWERBANK, not a second BATTERY.. only I did the true rc second battery mod? (3A from a phone)

Many people have reported controller battery’s not lasting long , on my mavic pro i have 3 battery’s and after flying i have normally about 75% controller battery using a iphone 8 plus and its being charged while connected , my mavic is new only flown about 20 flights but have had no issues with battery drain , running latest software on all

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99