DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am amazed about the Mavic Pro

I never unfold the controller antennas and this provide me over a mile without losing any signal.

There is also something called SWR that can kill your transmitters power amplifier if the Antenna is not unfolded properly. Basically your feeding back a lot of power into the Transistors and getting them really hot. Lucky for you the RC is low powered so the damage would be slow, but it can also be accumulative damage. On high powered transmitters or even medium power like the standard 100W ones we use in Ham Radio it can kill the transmitter finals in a second or two if the Antenna is not properly set up and matched.

Rob

Reactions: W2EJ and Thwyllo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Occusyc only for the video transmission?

I have my wifi module removed from my Mavic and it works just fine without it (using the RC). However, I will not be able to connect with the Mavic using only a cell phone or tablet. As stated below, the Mavic uses OcuSync to transmit and receive signal when using the RC.

-----------------------
"What is the difference between using the Mavic Pro WiFi vs RC with smartphone?
The Mavic RC uses DJI’s new OcuSync transmission technology giving it a much increased range of up to 4.3 miles (7 km) in open areas without interference. As with all DJI systems, the Mavic is fully FCC compliant.

When using a smartphone connected via WiFi, the controllable range is 262 feet (80 meters) and maximum altitude is 164 feet (50 meters). This makes it great for short-range shots like selfies and for setting up ActiveTrack. You can also download photos and videos directly from the Mavic to your mobile device using the WiFi."

Source Statement is from Here

-----------------------

There is also something called SWR that can kill your transmitters power amplifier if the Antenna is not unfolded properly. Basically your feeding back a lot of power into the Transistors and getting them really hot. Lucky for you the RC is low powered so the damage would be slow, but it can also be accumulative damage. On high powered transmitters or even medium power like the standard 100W ones we use in Ham Radio it can kill the transmitter finals in a second or two if the Antenna is not properly set up and matched.

Rob
I left out that term, SWR, in my previous comment. It stands for "standing wave ratio" and this is what causes the heat build-up in the electronics when the antennas are not "tuned", that is, in their proper orientation as designed when transmitting. Antenna are actually "tuned" to the proper length and distance from each other to match the frequency they are transmitting. When folded against each other this is all mismatched, like a blockage of energy trying to get out causing the "backup", signals fighting against themselves, some of it getting out and some of it coming back against the electronics trying to send it out.

Reactions: W2EJ
I have my wifi module removed from my Mavic and it works just fine without it (using the RC). However, I will not be able to connect with the Mavic using only a cell phone or tablet. As stated below, the Mavic uses OcuSync to transmit and receive signal when using the RC.

-----------------------
"What is the difference between using the Mavic Pro WiFi vs RC with smartphone?
The Mavic RC uses DJI’s new OcuSync transmission technology giving it a much increased range of up to 4.3 miles (7 km) in open areas without interference. As with all DJI systems, the Mavic is fully FCC compliant.

When using a smartphone connected via WiFi, the controllable range is 262 feet (80 meters) and maximum altitude is 164 feet (50 meters). This makes it great for short-range shots like selfies and for setting up ActiveTrack. You can also download photos and videos directly from the Mavic to your mobile device using the WiFi."

Source Statement is from Here

-----------------------
Thanks for that... I just thought it was for video transmission.
This is a cool simple link that explains it.
Expert World Travel

Reactions: Dave Maine
I just have my mavic pro for around three months and still amazed about this little beast. I never unfold the controller antennas and this provide me over a mile without losing any signal. The mavic is one of the best distance drone anyone could have. It never stop of surprising me. I also today discovered the autonomous flying modes that you can automatically program and have so many that I will try next time. As you guys see, in this three months, I have been flying around four to five times due to weather conditions. Hopefully I will be able to fly more this summer, it has been raining every **** weekend in the past month and half.

I am also very happy with the performance of my Mavic so far. Had it for a good year and been working more or less perfectly. I do however unfold the antennas as a part of the preflight stuff you do. And tbh, why wouldnt you? It costs you so little, but in the event you chrash that "beast" because of signal issues you are gonna be kicking yourself if the reason is just the fact you were too lazy to unfold. :)

I am also very happy with the performance of my Mavic so far. Had it for a good year and been working more or less perfectly. I do however unfold the antennas as a part of the preflight stuff you do. And tbh, why wouldnt you? It costs you so little, but in the event you chrash that "beast" because of signal issues you are gonna be kicking yourself if the reason is just the fact you were too lazy to unfold. :)
I know, I will do it from now on... :)

Reactions: Moby-ssx
I just couln't go out with my Mavic for a flight, check the drone and props over, set everything up with device to remote, check all setting in the app are correct then look at the antennas on the remote and think "nah I can't be bothered to open them":eek:

If they weren't important, DJI wouldn't have put them on the remote.

It's like only half charging the battery or not removing the gimbal lock just to save time.

But anyway, I agree, the Mavic is so fun to fly.
Just come back from the Scottish highlands and got some truly beautiful video/pics.

I didn't get much distance though so I think I'll unfold the Mavic's arms next time:p

I love the Mavic Pro. It's my 3rd drone. Ashamed to say I started out on a POS Hubsan that FAILED after a week. I boxed that baby up, got my money back, and bought a Spark. I loved it, but I realized that once I got my Part 107 certificate (which I now have), the Spark wasn't going to be able to do a whole lot, so I sold that sucker 3 hours after I listed it for sale online. I raced out and got the MP. Now I want to get a P4P to make use of my FAA license.

Reactions: Flycaster
I love the Mavic Pro. It's my 3rd drone. Ashamed to say I started out on a POS Hubsan that FAILED after a week. I boxed that baby up, got my money back, and bought a Spark. I loved it, but I realized that once I got my Part 107 certificate (which I now have), the Spark wasn't going to be able to do a whole lot, so I sold that sucker 3 hours after I listed it for sale online. I raced out and got the MP. Now I want to get a P4P to make use of my FAA license.

Why can’t you make use of your FAA license with the MP? I’m a super fan of the MPP. Had it since late April of this year. In love with it. Been looking into getting my UAV license. Is the MP not worthy of a license?

Why can’t you make use of your FAA license with the MP? I’m a super fan of the MPP. Had it since late April of this year. In love with it. Been looking into getting my UAV license. Is the MP not worthy of a license?

Yes it is worth the license for smaller jobs like real estate, inspections, etc. just remember that you will be under stricter restraints, and need insurance and be registered with the FAA to be a commercial pilot.. A Mavic Pro is great for real estate, high inspections like roofs, chimneys, bridges..etc.If you want to do feature films, you are talking Inspire money...$10,000 plus.

It's great for the smaller jobs as mentioned here already, but I would like to do wildlife refuge mapping, and for large acreage, the MP simply can't do the job. I'll always have my MP for the real estate, roof inspections, wineries, etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi