DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am One Sick Puppy.

MoToad

Reactions
(Mod Removed Language) if I didn't do it.

One Mavic 3 Classic with Smart Controller on the way. It all started out with my not a year old Mav Air2 not allowing me to see the tops of our mountains. I mean this unit, and especially with the Smart Controller, could not have made me happier.

Then someone mentioned the M3 1000M ceiling and, interest sparked. Watching the vids and reading about the M3 got that scratch needed itching. I can see DJI eventually adding a ceiling update ( I am, by far, not alone with my complaint) but who knows when. A little back story... soon to be 72, divorced, no kids and not going broke...YET! Been flying DJI for 10 yrs. Whenever I bought one, I easily sold one. And at close to breaking even. The A2 is for sale but at more than I paid for it. (Inflation.) No bites so that may be pie in the sky. I am hoping the complete Flymore kit and crash ins. will help the sale of that one.

Being amazed at the new features and updates (waypoints) I just talked myself into it. Of course, there are downsides. The size is one. It is a bit of a brute but I can live with it. Maybe I will be able to see it easier with these old eyes (I doubt it. lol.) The other and biggest thing is the cost. I'm Canadian and I found out early that buying from the DJI store is the cheapest way to go. My previous purchases were all tax free and free delivery. I was surprised to see the tax free is gone.

They are calling it a border tax. Checking the cost thru Amazon showed it was still a couple hun cheaper so I carried on.

Then I find the crash ins. has almost tripled. Really had me hovering over the button. Slept on it, got up and hit 'Release the Kracken!"

Last edited by a moderator:

One Mavic 3 Classic with Smart Controller on the way. It all started out with my not a year old Mav Air2 not allowing me to see the tops of our mountains. I mean this unit, and especially with the Smart Controller, could not have made me happier.

Then someone mentioned the M3 1000M ceiling and, interest sparked. Watching the vids and reading about the M3 got that scratch needed itching. I can see DJI eventually adding a ceiling update ( I am, by far, not alone with my complaint) but who knows when. A little back story... soon to be 72, divorced, no kids and not going broke...YET! Been flying DJI for 10 yrs. Whenever I bought one, I easily sold one. And at close to breaking even. The A2 is for sale but at more than I paid for it. (Inflation.) No bites so that may be pie in the sky. I am hoping the complete Flymore kit and crash ins. will help the sale of that one.

Being amazed at the new features and updates (waypoints) I just talked myself into it. Of course, there are downsides. The size is one. It is a bit of a brute but I can live with it. Maybe I will be able to see it easier with these old eyes (I doubt it. lol.) The other and biggest thing is the cost. I'm Canadian and I found out early that buying from the DJI store is the cheapest way to go. My previous purchases were all tax free and free delivery. I was surprised to see the tax free is gone.

They are calling it a border tax. Checking the cost thru Amazon showed it was still a couple hun cheaper so I carried on.

Then I find the crash ins. has almost tripled. Really had me hovering over the button. Slept on it, got up and hit 'Release the Kracken!"
Congrats on the purchase. Which mountains in BC are you going to tackle first?

Congrats, but confused about the 1000m comment. I'm assuming "above sea level" and not "above ground level". *wink*

My point was that doesn't matter if they raise it to 60,000AGL, legally you can't fly over 400' in most countries as far as I know. Unless you know something I don't. It's like making cars that go 150mph....unless you are on the Autobahn, you'll never legally hit over 70mph in the majority of places.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
My point was that doesn't matter if they raise it to 60,000AGL, legally you can't fly over 400' in most countries as far as I know. Unless you know something I don't. It's like making cars that go 150mph....unless you are on the Autobahn, you'll never legally hit over 70mph in the majority of places.
As long as you are 400' AGL, you can be 10,000' above takeoff point. That is why. Like flying up the side of a mountain.

Off topic but there is no speed limit when passing cars on 2 lane roads or onramps. I have passed at over 115mph in my roadster. Listed top is 154mph for it, glad I have it when needed.

• Angry

I am sure the MA2 can attain the same height as the M3, confused.

I am sure the MA2 can attain the same height as the M3, confused.
They have doubled the ceiling of the Mav3. They have not, the Mav Air2. As I have said in my post 'Gonna take you higher.' I live in the mountains of BC and was not even able to climb to the first ridge of my lake with my new Air2. The ceiling is set at 500M. And there are no restrictions where I am flying.

Huge difference between "can't" and "shouldn't".
I say release the krakens! lol

Off topic but there is no speed limit when passing cars on 2 lane roads or onramps. I have passed at over 115mph in my roadster. Listed top is 154mph for it, glad I have it when needed.
Where’d you learn that, in Germany on the autobahn? Doesn’t apply in California.

But anyway, there are times when unlocking the AGL limit is required for flying up the side of a hill or mountain, I was taking photos of rock outcrops near the top of a ridge doing this. But a warning if flying higher than a ridge above you- don’t hang out on the tops of ridges, especially when there are airplanes or helo’s nearby because you can’t see or hear what’s coming from the other side if you’re standing below one. We have a air tanker base in my area and those guys love to pass really close to ridge tops for fun, practice and for their approach to our airport. There are some hills just out of the 5-mile zone where I can legally fly and was surprised by one above me like that, so I never fly higher or above a ridge when I can’t see the backside anymore.

Last edited:
I wonder if they modded the propellers for extra lift on that Everest flight. I've heard it's very windy up there, incredibly lucky they didn't have a flyaway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky