DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I caved in!

Dave-in-Elland

Reactions
I caved in and took delivery yesterday of the Mini 3 Pro … just a few weeks after buying a Mini 2! I “blame” fora such as this 😇

Seriously, I was very impressed with the way it handled straight outta the box. I couldn’t get out yesterday but wanted to try it so took it into my front yard (very tiny) and placed it in the middle of the yard which is only two to three feet from the wall of the house). Acquired RTH and requisite satellites very quickly (with my Mini 2 I usually have to take it outside the yard to see enough sats) and I was very impressed with how smoothly it responded to the sticks (C mode) as it rose up through the gap twixt house and trees. It was rock solid and didn’t drift at all, a major consideration in such a tight space.

I‘m a photographer who uses drones so the most important factor will ultimately be image quality and that too looks promising. I am predominantly a film photographer and I’m used to working with black and white film, many of my drone images end up in mono too, so the response of the Mini 3 files to image manipulation will be important. I’ve yet to test the image making potential but will do soon I hope.

The firmware update allowing the customisation if C1/2 etc means that I have the controller set up to mimic the Mavic Pro configuration I started with. Even though the dial is on a rocker switch by holding it In place the shutter speeds do continually change without multiple rocking of the switch I found. I’m not finding the Mini 3 controller (with screen) as comfortable to use as the RC-N1 but that’s going to become easier with practice I’m certain.

Forecast for next few days is strong, gusty winds and rain so it may be I can’t fly it properly until the end of the week but first impressions are very positive. Just need a couple of extra batteries now!

Thanks to everyone on here who has contributed to the Mini 3 discussions for a very comprehensive discussion about this new drone - I believe I’ve read every thread and have learnt so much to help make the buying decision a well-informed and considered one.

Attachments

• 8C863388-EF59-436B-AEAC-8986D83A2E6A.jpeg
    8C863388-EF59-436B-AEAC-8986D83A2E6A.jpeg
    778.4 KB · Views: 51
I also caved in and got a used flymore filters and refresh,I forgot how tiny the mini is had a mini2 then trade in for the air2 .Splashed out again on the air2s which is a great drone ,the mini3 isn't a patch on the 2s not even close but it does have unique features the air2s doesn't have
The air2 will now be moved on sadly ,2 drones is enough

Reactions: Dave-in-Elland
glad your first impressions are favourable the recent App and firmware updates have really given it a strong base to work off ,and it is a very good drone on many fronts

I caved in and took delivery yesterday of the Mini 3 Pro … just a few weeks after buying a Mini 2! I “blame” fora such as this 😇

Seriously, I was very impressed with the way it handled straight outta the box. I couldn’t get out yesterday but wanted to try it so took it into my front yard (very tiny) and placed it in the middle of the yard which is only two to three feet from the wall of the house). Acquired RTH and requisite satellites very quickly (with my Mini 2 I usually have to take it outside the yard to see enough sats) and I was very impressed with how smoothly it responded to the sticks (C mode) as it rose up through the gap twixt house and trees. It was rock solid and didn’t drift at all, a major consideration in such a tight space.

I‘m a photographer who uses drones so the most important factor will ultimately be image quality and that too looks promising. I am predominantly a film photographer and I’m used to working with black and white film, many of my drone images end up in mono too, so the response of the Mini 3 files to image manipulation will be important. I’ve yet to test the image making potential but will do soon I hope.

The firmware update allowing the customisation if C1/2 etc means that I have the controller set up to mimic the Mavic Pro configuration I started with. Even though the dial is on a rocker switch by holding it In place the shutter speeds do continually change without multiple rocking of the switch I found. I’m not finding the Mini 3 controller (with screen) as comfortable to use as the RC-N1 but that’s going to become easier with practice I’m certain.

Forecast for next few days is strong, gusty winds and rain so it may be I can’t fly it properly until the end of the week but first impressions are very positive. Just need a couple of extra batteries now!

Thanks to everyone on here who has contributed to the Mini 3 discussions for a very comprehensive discussion about this new drone - I believe I’ve read every thread and have learnt so much to help make the buying decision a well-informed and considered one.
Dave:

That's a wonderful shot. I like the multiple tones of grey, black and detail in the whites. Your ar e brave soul to put up a drone in that constricted space. What software are you using to convert to B and W? (I use NIK mostly).

Dale
Miami

Dave:

That's a wonderful shot. I like the multiple tones of grey, black and detail in the whites. Your ar e brave soul to put up a drone in that constricted space. What software are you using to convert to B and W? (I use NIK mostly).

Dale
Miami
Thanks Dale! This was converted on my iPad using Snapseed. I do use Nik on my desktop computer but to be honest I’m often too lazy to turn the machine on 😇

If I’m going to print something I always convert the RAW file properly on the Mac but for social media use the iPad/Snapseed combination works a treat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78