DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini I CRASHED MY DRONE! Why you shouldnt fly over moving streams/water.

JUST TO MAKE ALL THING CLEAR.
The drone moved by itself and it was also hovering without any reason. I recorded everything in Cinema mode and you really cant speed it up like that in that mode. Just saying. Yes the tree made the Drone crash, but it didnt make it move.....Before the crash you can also see me trying to turn but, only the camera changed direction.

It would still give you a more complete picture if you posted the flight log..I am pretty sure one of the guys who reads them will be able to tell you more information that is accurate,, rather than surmising the water caused it

If you make some research about flying over moving water you sure can find some information about it. If you look again you can see the Drone speed up....

The only reason the drone should go wacky is if you had no GPS lock and it was in ATTI mode. Then, yes the drone can do all kinds of crazy things and if close to water - even that small wind from the current can make it drift. As for hovering or not - that should be in the log file, but from what I read from others - nothing unexplained was happening. I have flown over a river near a CAT4 rapid and had GPS signal (best as I can remember) and the drone went flying off hard left from a hover position. I was watching it and not the screen, so I saw the hard steer and had room to correct it before doing what your drone did. Even in the video, as I was videoing some kayakers - you can see the hard left pull and the correction.

I have not encountered any other craziness like it except when in ATTI mode and over some type of water - where the slightest breeze can move the drone due to no GPS stabilization. We as drone pilots can get easily lulled into mostly flying in GPS and the drone acts so stabile and normal. Yet when that flight comes that no GPS is available for that and it's in ATTI mode - we don't know how or watch the drone closely enough to see what it is doing and allow it to go off course (and possibly crash) or over react and induce a crash due to trying to overcorrect. I advocate for all pilots to fly and get used to ATTI mode, as do so many others - as it will eventually happen one day / one flight. On a Mini, ATTI would not be something I'd want to encounter without some prior ATTI flight experience under better conditions to know how the drone reacts.

Reactions: Southnordic
Please post the flight log. I’d like to know if you caused the AC to fly into the tree or otherwise. I feel without the log this video is a waste of my time & probably is for self promotion, not why I’m on the forum.

The only reason the drone should go wacky is if you had no GPS lock and it was in ATTI mode. Then, yes the drone can do all kinds of crazy things and if close to water - even that small wind from the current can make it drift. As for hovering or not - that should be in the log file, but from what I read from others - nothing unexplained was happening. I have flown over a river near a CAT4 rapid and had GPS signal (best as I can remember) and the drone went flying off hard left from a hover position. I was watching it and not the screen, so I saw the hard steer and had room to correct it before doing what your drone did. Even in the video, as I was videoing some kayakers - you can see the hard left pull and the correction.

I have not encountered any other craziness like it except when in ATTI mode and over some type of water - where the slightest breeze can move the drone due to no GPS stabilization. We as drone pilots can get easily lulled into mostly flying in GPS and the drone acts so stabile and normal. Yet when that flight comes that no GPS is available for that and it's in ATTI mode - we don't know how or watch the drone closely enough to see what it is doing and allow it to go off course (and possibly crash) or over react and induce a crash due to trying to overcorrect. I advocate for all pilots to fly and get used to ATTI mode, as do so many others - as it will eventually happen one day / one flight. On a Mini, ATTI would not be something I'd want to encounter without some prior ATTI flight experience under better conditions to know how the drone reacts.
I agree and now i found it...It all happened beacuse of my bottomsensors wasnt turned off.....So thanks everyone! Finally it got explained

Please post the flight log. I’d like to know if you caused the AC to fly into the tree or otherwise. I feel without the log this video is a waste of my time & probably is for self promotion, not why I’m on the forum.
My latest flights doesnt show up in the log for some reason...But know i what happened. Maybe wrong forum to ask these questions

So finally i know what causes it all. I went to my local drone seller and he told me that it was because my bottomsensors still was on. And i flew to close to the stream....Good thing to know until next time! Thanks for all the answers. Fly safe!

...and ive learned something! :)
Unfortunately you haven't ... the VPS sensors alone couldn't have made your craft diverge away sideways as shown in your clip. Most probably you also had lost your GPS lock, at best the navhealth was so bad that the FC didn't trust the position.

So you don't fully understand what caused your incident ... if the VPS sensors had been off you had instead been in ATTI mode with no horizontal hold, meaning no auto breaking after stick release & free drift with the wind. You had probably crashed even with the sensors off ...

Have you checked your phone ..? The logs are in the DJI\dji.go.v5\FlightRecord folder.

Reactions: AZDave
Unfortunately you haven't ... the VPS sensors alone couldn't have made your craft diverge away sideways as shown in your clip. Most probably you also had lost your GPS lock, at best the navhealth was so bad that the FC didn't trust the position.

So you don't fully understand what caused your incident ... if the VPS sensors had been off you had instead been in ATTI mode with no horizontal hold, meaning no auto breaking after stick release & free drift with the wind. You had probably crashed even with the sensors off ...

Have you checked your phone ..? The logs are in the DJI\dji.go.v5\FlightRecord folder.
Sound logic to me. Thank you! Maybe i was wrong after all! Im gonna read and study more about this! I really appreciate the help! Cant find my latest videos still om the flightrecord...

...Cant find my latest videos still om the flightrecord...

Really don't understand what you mean ... the flightlogs aren't videos, they are files with the extension ".txt" & are located in the mobile device you flew with in the DJI\dji.go.v5\FlightRecord folder. The log naming convention is based on the date and time of the start of the flight, like: DJIFlightRecord_YYYY_MM_DD_[hr-min-sec].txt.

My latest flights doesnt show up in the log for some reason...But know i what happened. Maybe wrong forum to ask these questions
Here are some instructions to find teh flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

If the GPS is doing its job; if the drone can hover with stability over land and do an accurate RTH, then the bottom sensors just help avoid hard landings or crashing into the ground in slow flight.
That being said - I have had issues flying over the ocean. It SEEMS that crossing over each wave, it drops and looses a bit of altitude each time. Maybe its just me, I don't know.
Again, if GPS is working correctly, and you're flying upstream, the land and water is rising while you're flying true level and thus, loosing AGL altitude.
BUT: I agree - the tree.

Reactions: Biggie777
Still it doesnt explain why it just suddenly was hovering and moved by itself....
If you had obstacle avoidance turned on in the RC, the drone was possibly trying to fly around the last seen obstacle and did not pick up on any side hazard - i.e. the substantial tree! ????

Finally it got explained
Sorry... but no, you didn't.

Maybe wrong forum to ask these questions
Oh this is the right forum alright, but you have to follow the directions already given to you to find and post your logs!

You've already been asked (several times) by two of the best crash analysts you'll find anywhere, and NOT your "local drone seller."

Just read and follow the directions in post #34....

Reactions: AZDave and JamieK
Had the same experience this summer. (minus the crash) If I hovered over swiftly moving water, the drone would follow the current and move downstream loosing height as it went. Very unnerving.1628361718512.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots