DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini I CRASHED MY DRONE! Why you shouldnt fly over moving streams/water.

Had the same experience this summer. (minus the crash) If I hovered over swiftly moving water, the drone would follow the current and move downstream loosing height as it went. Very unnerving.View attachment 133000
If able to follow any longer distance downstream it requires that your GPS lock also is sketchy or non existent ... if having a proper GPS lock you will at most have a erratic horizontally hold (when hovering), the AC will drift back & forth approx +/- 1,5m.

darn just post the log so we all can maybe get an answer it’s very easy and procedure can be found on yt, it almost seems as if your trying to hide something which I know prob isn’t the case but the thread is going in circles and not getting anywhere.

darn just post the log so we all can maybe get an answer it’s very easy and procedure can be found on yt, it almost seems as if your trying to hide something which I know prob isn’t the case but the thread is going in circles and not getting anywhere.

+1, i read every post to find the answer and nothing.

So far, every comment has been speculating about the cause of the crash. Didn't anyone notice what a remarkable video this was? Definitely the most cinematic, dramatic and poignant drone crash video I've ever seen! Well done!

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger

So i crashed my drone....And ididnt know why it was hovering way faster then usual....And i couldnt even move it before it crashed....
This is a prime example of why you need a spotter when flying.
they could’ve warned you of the tree you were flying towards, and you could’ve avoided it.
when we’re flying our drones, trying to get good cinematography, we lose track of where the drone is going.
when I’m flying in the woods, my wife is there, with her binoculars, watching where the drone is going at all times.
when recording straight on, I know where the drone is going, but when I start getting fancy, like doing pull outs, side steps, etc…
I have no idea what the drone is flying towards.
this is where a spotter is essential.

I have flown my M2P many times over rivers and oceans. Usually stay a bit higher, and would never try flying that close to a shoreline in a n arrow river. I think it's simply that you just flew into a tree. Plain and simple.

Dale
Miami
Hi, I read/saw somewhere that anything below around 20ft above water (and hard ground too?) the drone stops using GPS and uses the bottom sensors? Depending on the appearance of the water that might affect control I guess. I'm new to flying and have a Mavic Mini but do like to go out over the water when possible as it makes for great shots, but never go too low. Just saying. ?

Hi, I read/saw somewhere that anything below around 20ft above water (and hard ground too?) the drone stops using GPS and uses the bottom sensors?
No your drone won't stop using GPS.
But given the environment shown in the video, it's quite likely that GPS reception was poor and the drone had too few satellites for GPS to be able to provide position holding.
Without VPS or GPS being able to give stability, the drone would drift just as the video illustrates and have no "brakes".
The recorded flight data would confirm if this was the case, if the OP would post the data.

Reactions: SD-Pilot
I am a Seasoned Flyer and I agree flying low anywhere limits you controller reception. Plus the trend of losing drones over water makes me somewhat think the electrical field given off by water might have something with loss of control. I will fly over a nearby river and there are trees blocking my controller signal and notice the trees are the problem with flight until I gain altitude and signal gets better. But every week we read drones lost over water, and this makes me think water interferes with the controller. just my 2 cents. Thank you

I think all the discussion of ground sensors, GPS and ATTI (while interesting) is premature and very likely unrelated to this particular crash. Until you check the logs for the stick inputs, everything else is a waste of effort.

In my opinion (and without the flight logs it will remain that) is that at 1:13 of the video the pilot saw the looming tree and input left yaw. Without realizing, his right thumb moved to the right causing the drone to crab laterally to the right. Easy to do when you tense up, but it kept him in collision course with the tree. It looked like if anything he increased these stick inputs and the drone kept yawing left and crabbing right until impact.

Until you have eliminated pilot error, it is pointless looking for aircraft failures. Since the OP has made little attempt to find and post the flight logs, I suspect he would rather hang on to the face-saving idea that the drone failed than that he could have screwed up. Very human, but not the course of action to become a better pilot.

Whenever I fly my Mini (with no collision avoidance), in that situation I just let off the sticks until I regain my bearings and lower my adrenaline. I don't want to, because it interrupts the flow of the video; I would like a seamless take from end to end. But I can simply cut out the offending piece and splice the two halves together with some nice smooth transitions in post-editing. Or keep flying it till I get the perfect take.

If I flew my Air 2S in that situation it might have stopped or at least slowed and flown around (depending on the settings). Either way it would be obvious and I would have to do some postflight video editing.

My tips:
1. Set aside your embarrassment when you crash, and look really hard for pilot error. Aircraft system failures are rare. Pilot errors are a dime a dozen. Don't beat yourself up for it, but assume you screwed up until proven otherwise. This will make you a better pilot.

2. If unsure what is happening, let off the sticks. In a panic your inputs are more likely to harm than help. Unlike a regular plane which will probably crash if you don't provide the right inputs, drones by default will hover in place if you do nothing. The only exception to this is if the drone is clearly in a runaway (rare).

3. Get really good at video editing so you can disguise your inadequacies as a pilot. Hahaha.

Happy landings, and may your videos be awesome.

Last edited:
Plus the trend of losing drones over water makes me somewhat think the electrical field given off by water might have something with loss of control. .. But every week we read drones lost over water, and this makes me think water interferes with the controller.
There is no way that water interferes with the controller, and the flight data from over-water incidents never shows any interference with the controller.
The causes of those incidents are much more basic that some mysterious electrical field causing problems.
It's probably safer flying over water than land.

I hope you do send the flight log here ...there are a few guys on here that really know how to read that data and can give you more information...valuable information on how to avoid it from happening again....Other than the crash it was a really nice video with nice background music....good luck with the next drone...what did you order?
You couldn't recovery the drone? Doubtfully needed to buy a new drone but at any rate, what hover? It's very clear you drifted right into the tree... Those darn trees,like magnets,eh?

Well I did enjoy the video while you were making it though,very nice.

There is no way that water interferes with the controller, and the flight data from over-water incidents never shows any interference with the controller.
The causes of those incidents are much more basic that some mysterious electrical field causing problems.
It's probably safer flying over water than land.
*Cough* pilot error.. I know it sucks. Been a hobbyist far to long to take it personal,I mean wrecks happen and sometimes you just have to get it off your chest. Lol

Plus the trend of losing drones over water makes me somewhat think the electrical field given off by water might have something with loss of control.o_O

Whaaat?
Hopefully that won't become another pervasive internet myth... like rice? ?

Reactions: MS Coast
Here are a few truths to counter that potential myth:
1. Most crashes are pilot error. Over water the consequences are usually fatal.
2. Most flights are over land. Most crashes occur over land.
3. Crashes are typically reported only if they result in loss of drone.
4. Crashes over land many times are recoverable and unreported. Crashes over water are almost always "loss of drone" results and often reported.
5. If you hit a tree over land, good chance you may get away with little or no damage. Hit a tree over water and it is usually "bye bye drone". ?
6. Flying a drone isn't a video game. There are real-world consequences to crashing a drone ($$$).

Key tips I consider for reducing risk when flying over water:
- Don't fly too low (gives more margin for error)
- Don't fly low making maneuvers like Snoopy chasing the Red Baron
- Don't fly under low bridges (or risk losing GPS)
- Keep a good distance from trees, and avoid hitting then at all costs. ?
- Leave extra margin on battery level for returning home.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
After reading this thread I have one question

I am flying out to Oregon next week and plan on lots of flights over very fast moving water, DO I turn OFF the bottom sensors?

Thanks

After reading this thread I have one question

I am flying out to Oregon next week and plan on lots of flights over very fast moving water, DO I turn OFF the bottom sensors?

Thanks
The sole purpose of the VPS sensor on the belly is to assist the GPS... or totally take over the horizontally hold (Opti mode) if the GPS can't get a enough reliable position ... if the ground is within VPS reach, below approx. 10m. The VPS sensor will also take care of the landing protection ... make the AC slow down from 0,5m above ground & land softly ... without the sensor it will be possible to go full descend speed straight into the ground.

The backside with the sensor is that it's prone to follow a moving surface & have a hard time to read off/lock to a reflective surface ... not a big problem if the GPS can give a good reliable position. The problem occurs when or if you lose the GPS ... if the VPS is on & you are low enough it can lock on to the fast moving water & go down stream fast. If the VPS instead is off ... and you lose the GPS your AC enters ATTI mode directly, meaning no horizontally hold at all & no auto breaking when releasing the sticks. So if it's windy a AC in ATTI mode will fast drift away with the wind (but it's still fully maneuverable).

If you really need to fly low over a moving surface (within VPS reach) & it's a plausible risk that you can lose the GPS position I would opt for turning the VPS off & only deal with ATTI mode (with a AC without horizontally hold & no auto breaking) as that gives a cleaner behavior without erratic movement commands coming from the VPS sensor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d