DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I crashed my Mavic :(

First time it was accidental ignorance, sort of forgivable, second time stupidity, just doesn't learn. I guess with a replacement it will become third time.

First time it was accidental ignorance, sort of forgivable, second time stupidity, just doesn't learn. I guess with a replacement might become third time.

Well, the first time was a dangerous maneuver, the second time I just looked away from the screen. Also somehow my mavic always trended in some direction, didn't fly straight, maybe that's why, when I thought I was flying by the tree, it flew into the tree instead...

I have asked about this before but received no responses....... Is using the pause button hard on the drone??...
Well...it is harder on the drone than not doing it, but it is preferable to flying into something. I do not use it regularly, just if I need to stop now.
...Is the drone designed to be flown hard in sports mode? or is it more similar to squealing tires and quick starts/stops are hard on a car?
Sure it is designed to be flown hard in sports mode or we would be hearing about the failures. Some pilots profess to fly the majority of time in sports mode without problems. I would assume it is harder on the drone than not using it but I just have not heard of Mavics folding up because of over-stressing. The normal problem is the increased stopping and turning distance is not considered so crashes occur.

Reactions: MKurr
It happens lol

Last edited:
Reactions: zzxrox
Why were you looking at the screen when flying it in Sports Mode anyway? I watch the Quad, not the screen on my iPad 4 when I'm flying, and especially at"Sport Mode" speed.

Bud

I was flying in sports mode, looked away from the screen for a second, and it hit the tree, right near the top...

I recently broke my mavic 2 Zoom and DJI offered me $100 to fix it or $120 for a new drone, I just had the fix it because the damage wasn’t big just one arm and the top shell..... but if you have DJI care you can pay about $120 or so and get a new one.

Gee wiz some people talk of sport mode like its the forbidden fruit and a guaranteed crash... You don't crash due to flying in sport mode, why are you flying low enough to fly into stuff? Learned that lesson a long time ago and it was not even in sport. If you are going to fly below the highest thing in the vicinity you better pay attention 110% of the time, that's all.

And I highly doubt sport mode is going to wear you drone out faster. I have now done 220 hours (5,212Km) in my mpp and most of that is in sport. Still flies great.

Wow, that's a nasty crash. Watching your videos it seems apparent you like to use sport mode quite a bit & flying close to things. Sport mode scares me because of the radical movements of the drone, I only use it to get home fast or to a particular spot fast but then it's always at a high altitude. If I want fast motion I will edit the video as Maviac has suggested. Anyway, good luck with the replacement & with the Mavic 2.

Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

Why were you looking at the screen when flying it in Sports Mode anyway? I watch the Quad, not the screen on my iPad 4 when I'm flying, and especially at"Sport Mode" speed.

Bud
That was the thing, I had to look at the drone to miss the obstacles, but look at the screen to see what I was filming...

Sports mode is great for speed. My Air can do 48 mph (or is that kph?). BUT always always keep an eye on the control screen and NEVER EVER fly near anything. I fly sports to get across a large field, at maybe 50 to 100 feet up...
Yes, I also like flying over frozen lakes and fields...

Gee wiz some people talk of sport mode like its the forbidden fruit and a guaranteed crash... You don't crash due to flying in sport mode, why are you flying low enough to fly into stuff? Learned that lesson a long time ago and it was not even in sport. If you are going to fly below the highest thing in the vicinity you better pay attention 110% of the time, that's all.

And I highly doubt sport mode is going to wear you drone out faster. I have now done 220 hours (5,212Km) in my mpp and most of that is in sport. Still flies great.
I agree, sports mode is only dangerous if you fly close to the ground where there are trees or other things to crash into....

I'm so afraid of crashing my drone,, even with the refresh. My 8 year old flies it, but I make her go like 30m above the highest tree.
Yeah, when I let someone else fly my drone I usually only let them fly at comparatively high altitude....

Wow, that's a nasty crash. Watching your videos it seems apparent you like to use sport mode quite a bit & flying close to things. Sport mode scares me because of the radical movements of the drone, I only use it to get home fast or to a particular spot fast but then it's always at a high altitude. If I want fast motion I will edit the video as Maviac has suggested. Anyway, good luck with the replacement & with the Mavic 2.

Victorian Aerial Vision Videos
As I replied to maviac, when you speed up the video it looks unnatural, and since I got the drone for making videos, not for something else, why not fly in sports mode, avoid trees at high speeds, fly along roads with trees on each side, and other risky maneuvers to get amazing videos... I didn't get the drone just as a high altitude camera.... Still, now that I don't have anymore replacements, I think I'll have to do exactly that: Fly only at high altitude....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starKid