DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I crashed the DJI Mavic Pro (not me!)

it looked like a malfunction on the mavic that cause the crash to me.. the pilot showed bad judgment in not making allowance for that malfunction.. hence the potential risk to property or person..

the pilot intended to fly out over the water.. if all had gone to plan there would have been no crash.. all did not go to plan because the craft did not move in the direction the pilot intended it to.. it flew backwards into the bundling and crashed.. i put the crash down to a malfunction of the mavic..

the possible consequences of that malfunction is another matter.. that is where the pilot error or judgement comes into it.. as it happened no harm was done.. one storm in one teacup..

the real problem with these things is no matter how skilful the pilot.. if the automatics fail accidents can happen.. this comes down to two things.. how reliable the automatics are and where they get flown.. so far things dont look overly clever for both cases.. :)

trog

No it wasn't. He took off from inside, so he had no GPS and was therefore in ATTI. He turned the Mavic and then got confused with direction, due to being inexperienced. He could have easily hurt someone with his total ineptitude and, as long as 'we' make excuses for him, idiotic incidents like this will continue - with those same idiots posting their foolishness onto the web. Where those who want to ban the hobby can refer to.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

i have flown RC for many years.. certain rules have (mostly) been followed.. join a club.. only fly on club sites which are usually in remote-ish locations away from people and habitation.. get proper training.. pretty strict rules of behavior..

its all changed now.. now we have automated (any fool can fly) selfie camera drones being sold to anyone who is prepared to hand over the cash.. joe public looks at the promotional vidoes and thinks what he/she is intended to think..

we have the magic tripod mode which is what the forward object avoidance cleverness is all about.. an attempt to make out that flying these things close up simply to take selfie pics is safe.. it isnt its only a half measure..

the old school users are kind of horrified about what some people are now doing with their new flying selfie cams.. but the new kind of user is only doing what the promotional stuff tells them they can do..

ether way all the old school rules are now being broken.. we have a new set of rules.. under the new set of rules the first thing a flying selfie cam needs is an effective set of prop guards.. the mavic does not have even an attempt at this.. this fact alone makes it unsafe as a flying selfie camera..

all old school thinkers need to wise up and stop being surprised at what the new breed of users are doing with their new found toys.. in simple terms move with the times and stop being so naive..

trog

ps.. its up to the manufacturers to stop the use of these things getting banned.. they need to make them safer.. all round object avoidance and anti face slashing prop guards being two obvious steps to take..

Last edited:
It was ill advised. He paid for it pocketbook and pride. Absolutely his fault. The end. So what would a license do exactly..? It didn't look like it was piloting skills that caused the accident it was bad judgement..there is no license for that.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
It's possible that a little education might change his attitude about flying a drone. If you fall under the watchful eye of the FAA you might think more about what you are about to do and the consequences if you screw up. I am an expert marksman, have shot in competition, and have hunted since I was 11 years old and yet was required to take a class and then qualify on a range before getting my Concealed Weapons Permit. There are legal ramifications for being irresponsible. Same with hunting ... you take a Hunter Safety Course. You visually see what a little carelessness will cost you. Or a driver's license. You learn what is expected of you when you drive. An passing grade on what's expected of you as a drone pilot might also stop the "out of the box" pilots from flying over playgrounds, down the freeways, over HS football games, etc. I'm guessing we'll see it whether we like it or not, probably sooner than later. But I hope it doesn't have to come to this.

one thing folks need to realize is that the need for a license to use a drone will without a doubt destroy the entire inovative drone industry.. there will not be enough money in it to justify the development costs.. the mavic has created a huge and new market.. most folks take their pics with a phone camera.. but one thing a phone camera cant do is fly.. not without a little help anyways.. he he he

trog

Reactions: grizzard
one thing folks need to realize is that the need for a license to use a drone will without a doubt destroy the entire inovative drone industry.. there will not be enough money in it to justify the development costs.. the mavic has created a huge and new market.. most folks take their pics with a phone camera.. but one thing a phone camera cant do is fly.. not without a little help anyways.. he he he

trog
I believe that the statement, "the need for a license to use a drone" should be "the need for a license to purchase a drone".

I believe that the statement, "the need for a license to use a drone" should be "the need for a license to purchase a drone".
That would work .... It's doesn't have to be complicated either. Which I doubt the Commercial Drone license is either. Just a little education before you take to the skies with a moving projectile to make you aware that you have a little responsibility here.

Reactions: Ken
Let's face it, once the drone is purchased there is no possibly way to enforce any regulations.

Let's face it, once the drone is purchased there is no possibly way to enforce any regulations.
If it's Activated and registered and they can update the software and firmware, then they know who owns it and if you have GPS on which you do, they know where you are at. If you fly into a Restricted Zone near an airport ... I suspect you will get a visit.

If it's Activated and registered and they can update the software and firmware, then they know who owns it and if you have GPS on which you do, they know where you are at. If you fly into a Restricted Zone near an airport ... I suspect you will get a visit.
Quite possible if flying near an airport. Outside of that example there are no resources (drone police) to enforce any of the other regulations, nor will there ever be in our lifetime.

Quite possible if flying near an airport. Outside of that example there are no resources (drone police) to enforce any of the other regulations, nor will there ever be in our lifetime.
Yes it will.
ADS-B transponders will be the norm very soon.
Aviation authorities around the world will insist on these to integrate UAV's into the NAS.

Anyone who thinks this is not going to happen is a fool. The technology is already in existence and hardware shrinking.
Soon manufacturers will be legally required to integrate them into the airframe with permanent enabled state.
The sooner the better.

Yes .... A transponder would nail
Yes it will.
That's true ... a transponder would nail you if it activated near an airport where ATC could see you painted on their screen.

Yes .... I can drive over the park lawn with my Jeep and if nobody sees me I might get away with it. Then again ... if my GPS is on in my cell phone, maybe not so much....... However, I don't think there are a lot of drone regulations ... but if you break something or hurt someone there are consequences and saying you didn't know isn't going to get you off the hook. So a little education might be a plus.

Reactions: The Editor
Yes .... A transponder would nail

That's true ... a transponder would nail you if it activated near an airport where ATC could see you painted on their screen.
Yup - every aircraft in the NAS will have to either have a ADS-B or 'NextGen' fitted by 2020.
The bill has gone through as part of the Civil Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Plan.

Yes it will.
Hmm..."Hey Congress lets take the funds/budget away from protecting the borders and designate funds for policing toy drones."

Hmm..."Hey Congress lets take the funds/budget away from protecting the borders and designate funds for policing toy drones."
You're missing the point.
As well as the idiots out there who fly irresponsibly which this will at least keep an eye on where they fly. The FAA also needs to accommodate the likes of Amazon, DHL etc who will be an integral part of the airspace in the near future.
Without proper safeguards in place it could get very messy up there.
UAV's operate from surface to 400' and that airspace is already very busy - it needs to be regulated

I apologized, I thought that we were speaking in generalized terms. Especially since the main topic of this thread was some goofball taking off from inside a hotel room.

Yes it will.
Aviation authorities around the world will insist on these to integrate UAV's into the NAS.

Anyone who thinks this is not going to happen is a fool. The technology is already in existence and hardware shrinking.
Soon manufacturers will be legally required to integrate them into the airframe with permanent enabled state.
The sooner the better.

Whistleblowers like Snowden and the likes have already shown the world what all is being and can be monitored by the top agencies. You think its not already in place ? Privacy was a thing of the past, nothing is without monitoring capabilities..

Whistleblowers like Snowden and the likes have already shown the world what all is being and can be monitored by the top agencies. You think its not already in place ? Privacy was a thing of the past, nothing is without monitoring capabilities..

That's why I love films like " Enemy of the state " it is so true and it has been happening for years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123