DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I don't want the UPGRADE !!!

n-xplorer

Reactions
I cannot launch my MA now because DJI wants to upgrade my firmware now (this within the last 24 hrs.). I've heard the horror stories about the upgrade and am very happy with what I've been using. Could I please keep the firmware the same? I'm totally lost in the Apple iPad mini and have no idea how to change the settings. Please help.

The upgrade prompt should not prevent you from taking off.

What happens when you attempt to take off?

It will not take off, there's an error message saying firmware needs to be updated.

The only sure way is to use a device which doesn't go online, or use a different app like Litchi
DJI do have the ability to force an update but very rare they use it.

Put your iPad in airplane mode and shut off wifi and leave it there if it is only for your drone . If dji can never talk to your GO-4 app it can’t ask for a firmware update

Reactions: Drgnfli
"All the horror stories" on upgrades are pretty much all of the people that had problems. MOST of the time it was their fault.
When Apple updates IOS, DJI updates Go4. You MUST upgrade BOTH. Also, when DJI updates firmware, the software is often changed to run the new firmware.
Rule of thumb;
IF you update ANYTHING, you must update EVERYTHING.
I can assure you that 95% of people do not have issues with updates, and that 70% of the people bad mouthing updates, have never done one.

This is why I only use Litchi for flights, no nags no need to upgrade. I only use the go app for deep setting changes. beside litch load 10 times faster and is 100% reliable.

This one actually kicked my butt too, until I realized the firmware warning preventing takeoff, was to upgrade the "Battery". I had bought the FlyMore kit and had charged but not used that particular battery. They (batteries) actually have "firmware", and need to be aligned to the firmware running in the controller and the drone. I've had to do this every time I first use a battery when new, or after firmware upgrade on the drone.

"All the horror stories" on upgrades are pretty much all of the people that had problems. MOST of the time it was their fault.
When Apple updates IOS, DJI updates Go4. You MUST upgrade BOTH. Also, when DJI updates firmware, the software is often changed to run the new firmware.
Rule of thumb;
IF you update ANYTHING, you must update EVERYTHING.
I can assure you that 95% of people do not have issues with updates, and that 70% of the people bad mouthing updates, have never done one.

never a truer word said. Thumbswayup

Reactions: LucVN
I consider myself to be a"nervous" Mavic Pro flyer. I should never have read the "horror" stories. I have taken every software and firmware upgrade and never, ever had any flight problems. BUT- as updates progressed my Samsung S5 was no longer powerful enough. I aquired an old S7 and it works fine.
My advice - before you blame firmware or software, make sure that you have enough computer/tablet resources to run this remarkable little piece of technology.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Not true. I run Litchi in airplane mode all the time.

so do i. litchi will brick the litchi software until you have a internet connection to prove you paid for it. your options are retry(which only works with a internet connection) or exit. happened to me at least six times now in remote locations. i like litchi i just want to know how to stop it form making me prove i paid for it at really bad times! ill just email customer service,,,,, you have that email? me neither. there isn't one.

I consider myself to be a"nervous" Mavic Pro flyer. I should never have read the "horror" stories. I have taken every software and firmware upgrade and never, ever had any flight problems. BUT- as updates progressed my Samsung S5 was no longer powerful enough. I aquired an old S7 and it works fine.
My advice - before you blame firmware or software, make sure that you have enough computer/tablet resources to run this remarkable little piece of technology.
I think there needs to be some exploration with this line of thought. I know the software is getting bigger, BUT the job the software does in flight has not changed that much. So i find it difficult to understand why the phone would no longer work.
I have some thoughts, The size of the software is increasing, because the number of DJI models is increasing. You only fly one model at a time, so the extra software isnt doing anything but using memory. Maybe it is an available memory problem? Maybe the longer you own a phone, the more apps you get and try, some get removed, but leave remnants. Maybe that is stealing resources?

Have you tried to do a complete factory reset on your old s5, wipe it clean as new, then just load the go 4 app and see what happens?

I think there needs to be some exploration with this line of thought. I know the software is getting bigger, BUT the job the software does in flight has not changed that much. So i find it difficult to understand why the phone would no longer work.
I have some thoughts, The size of the software is increasing, because the number of DJI models is increasing. You only fly one model at a time, so the extra software isnt doing anything but using memory. Maybe it is an available memory problem? Maybe the longer you own a phone, the more apps you get and try, some get removed, but leave remnants. Maybe that is stealing resources?

Have you tried to do a complete factory reset on your old s5, wipe it clean as new, then just load the go 4 app and see what happens?

You may well be correct.
The S5 is my go to phone. The S7 was given to me and factory reset and it does have double the memory.
I guess this is the point I was making.
Make sure that you have sufficient resources to handle the DJI software/hardware?

Unfortunately, we can't trust our phones to be stable anymore ... Maybe this is something to do with the recent law-suit in Italy. It's been found that Apple and Samsung have been providing updates for phones that 'reduce performance'. So it's not that the DJI app' is getting more complex, it's that your phone is being slowed to put you in that mindset to go out and buy a new one!
Apple and Samsung fined for deliberately slowing down phones

Last edited:
Yes - the dDJI Android list for the M2 does not show the Samsung S5

Put your iPad in airplane mode and shut off wifi and leave it there if it is only for your drone . If dji can never talk to your GO-4 app it can’t ask for a firmware update

You do have to turn it on once in a while to update your maps if you move around a lot or delete the map cache by accident.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman