DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I feel like an idiot

Zeke

Reactions
Even though I have no intention of flying commercially, I (foolishly) thought it'd be nice to learn more about flying drones, so I signed up for a Part 107 prep course.

What the hell was I thinking.

I think I've never found something more confusing and hard to follow, and hard to understand.... And up until now I didn't consider myself particularly stupid. Holy crap.

Self assessment recalibrated accordingly.

Even though I have no intention of flying commercially, I (foolishly) thought it'd be nice to learn more about flying drones, so I signed up for a Part 107 prep course.

I think I've never found something more confusing and hard to follow, and hard to understand.... And up until now I didn't consider myself particularly stupid. Holy crap.

You are being waaaaay too hard on yourself.

Sounds like it just caught you wayyy off guard, since you really didint know what you were walking in to.
I think theres some pretty good tutorials on youtube and online, but there are some great ones, straight to the point, that cost a little money, but they streamline the learning process.
Part 107 is all the knowledge and info of an actual manned aircraft pilot, but without actually getting to be in the air, although goggles help and UAS have better cameras ;-)

I also think your being too hard on yourself.

I hope you're right but **** I can't even remember all the METAR information. I thought I had it down pat but the quiz at the end of the module keeps asking what data is in what position. I thought I finally had it down and then I saw there's about 100 modules to go. By the time I got through those I'd be lucky to even remember what METAR stands for.

Sounds like it just caught you wayyy off guard, since you really didint know what you were walking in to.
I think theres some pretty good tutorials on youtube and online, but there are some great ones, straight to the point, that cost a little money, but they streamline the learning process.
Part 107 is all the knowledge and info of an actual manned aircraft pilot, but without actually getting to be in the air, although goggles help and UAS have better cameras ;-)

I also think your being too hard on yourself.

I stopped studying when I learned FAA will make unannounced visits to inspect your paperwork.
No thank you - no matter how much money I could make.

Reactions: Zeke
If I could learn this stuff and pass the 107 test, well then, no one should worry about their abilities! I was in shock at how foreign it all was to me, what with the Sectional Charts, Air Space designations and restrictions, METARS and all the rest. I seriously thought my old brain was just too far gone to be taking in all this new info. But after a while, it all started falling into place.

For me, knowing how I learn the best, enrolling in an online school was perfect. Short lectures followed by quizzes followed by practice exams. And the best part is that I have lifetime access to that material.

Learning about national airspace and how to integrate my flying into that network has made this whole business of drone piloting a richer and more enjoyable experience. Keep plugging away. You will be proud of your accomplishment.

I remember seeing you at the idiot club meetings.See you at the reunion??

If I could learn this stuff and pass the 107 test, well then, no one should worry about their abilities! I was in shock at how foreign it all was to me, what with the Sectional Charts, Air Space designations and restrictions, METARS and all the rest. I seriously thought my old brain was just too far gone to be taking in all this new info. But after a while, it all started falling into place.

For me, knowing how I learn the best, enrolling in an online school was perfect. Short lectures followed by quizzes followed by practice exams. And the best part is that I have lifetime access to that material.

Learning about national airspace and how to integrate my flying into that network has made this whole business of drone piloting a richer and more enjoyable experience. Keep plugging away. You will be proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks, it's just absolutely overwhelming. I signed onto the same type of class (Altitude University) and I just don't see how I'm ever going to retain even module 2 by the time I get to the end...

Thanks, it's just absolutely overwhelming. I signed onto the same type of class (Altitude University) and I just don't see how I'm ever going to retain even module 2 by the time I get to the end...

The material isn't actually that difficult - it's just unfamiliar, and mostly requires repetitive practice for that to change. Especially reading sectionals and METARs/TAFs.

Reactions: Gindra and Zeke
I needed something to keep me busy after my shoulder surgery last October. I took on the challenge for the Part 107 exam.

I first started reviewing some of free Part 107 study guides, but quickly determined the cons where more prominent than the pluses. I enrolled in Remote Pilot 107 course. Well organised, thorough, and the quizzes are well designed.

Yes, the information and concepts are overwhelming at first, but one simply has to take this into account. Each of us has their own way of studying and absorbing information.

Reactions: Gindra

That is exactly how I felt when i first began studying for the Part 107. I took my time, it was fall and winter when I couldn't go out and fly so what the heck, I also bought an online course. Started in October and really buckled down in December. It will start to click with you with practice. I passed my test with a grade of 95%! Ended up really enjoying the class too.

Quite true. Even if you do not take the 107 test, you can rest assured that you have studied to the best of your ability and with practice you will be the best and most responsible pilot you know.

Granted, there is a plethora of data to learn, but in the end, with pride, you can extend you right/left hand straight out, palm up, bring it up and over giving yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

You would have a far better understanding of where, when, and why you may fly over relying solely upon GO4, AirMap, Litchi, etc.

You do not have to become 107 certified to fly recreationally, but there is a lot of valued data to be absorbed from various sources.

Don't be too hard on yourself.
I found this quite useful, and free...
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I have my test scheduled for next Friday and feel that I am at about 70% of what I need to be to pass. This video helped immensely! Especially the part about cramming just prior and using the paper they give you to note what you just crammed for. That, and just some of the ways he simplified some parts I was having trouble with. My confidence level just jumped from 40% pass to 85% pass (but I'm sure I'll do great)

I took mine 2 years ago and am up for renewal this summer. I just download the questions and memorize the answers the night before the test and passed with an 87. I would never take a class as 99% of the test has nothing to do with operation of a UAV. The maps are probably the most difficult.

Colleges, Highschool, have courses, just check around. There are Online classes starting at $59 bucks up to $500. There are trade shows that offer classes. I teach the 107, at 3 Universities, I have trained 400 students in the last 2 years. Ages 18 to 82, only 3 have failed the test. 2 retook it and passed and the 3rd guy just quit.

Take a breath...step back and do some research. The 107 is really not difficult at all, it is likely that it is just foreign to you. Do some of the free (or not free) online courses, they will explain everything quite well and suddenly the light bulb will go off and you will get it.

Be patient with yourself.

I stopped studying when I learned FAA will make unannounced visits to inspect your paperwork.
No thank you - no matter how much money I could make.
Yeah and to be honest I think trying to make a few hundred bucks on it would suck a lot of the joy out of droning anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Venture3344555