DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have finally come to the end of a 6 month nightmare of flight restrictions that nobody could help with.

At least I'm not alone. Just so you all know, I fly with the exact same wifi, computer, router and software ident each time. But just sometimes, DJI seems to need to confirm my identity with my phone number and a new code. But, now that i know this happens to others, i'm not going to worry about it. it's just a little annoying sometimes.

This will only happen if you fly in blue restricted zone, will also show you 3 checkboxes to confirm you know whay you are doing. Once you do that you receive "licence" file.

This will only happen if you fly in blue restricted zone, will also show you 3 checkboxes to confirm you know whay you are doing. Once you do that you receive "licence" file.
I live 3 miles away from a public airport. I don't believe It has a tower. Would that airport make it a "blue" zone. It doesn't come up on any of the LAANC apps I downloaded. Only DJIs app seems to know it's there. It's called Marco Island Executive Airport in florida. If I do get the other apps to pull up the airport, they say I am in a NON flight restricted area.

I live 3 miles away from a public airport. I don't believe It has a tower. Would that airport make it a "blue" zone. It doesn't come up on any of the LAANC apps I downloaded. Only DJIs app seems to know it's there. It's called Marco Island Executive Airport in florida. If I do get the other apps to pull up the airport, they say I am in a NON flight restricted area.

Looks like that small airport has authorization zone:

KMKY is in Class G uncontrolled airspace under 700 ft Class E. There are no airspace restrictions for sUAS.

IMG_24D0408BF58F-1.jpeg

As is quite common, DJI has made the immediate vicinity an enhanced warning zone inside a warning zone, with a self-authorization zone protecting the runway and extended centerlines.

1619578954245.png

At least I'm not alone. Just so you all know, I fly with the exact same wifi, computer, router and software ident each time. But just sometimes, DJI seems to need to confirm my identity with my phone number and a new code. But, now that i know this happens to others, i'm not going to worry about it. it's just a little annoying sometimes.
Every time I fly in my town with my mini 2 I have to follow on screen prompts to receive a code to unlock the drone. All because of a registered aerodrome 2 miles outside of town.

I had to look up VPN, did not have a clue what it was....

just saying.........
i knew i had one on my phone, and I knew why i had it on my phone, i was just unaware of EXACTLY what they did and so it never really came to me it would cause an issue, now it makes perfect sense. this forum & reddit has been so helpful to me but for this issue there seemed to be no answer, so thought I would share

Maybe it's the government. They think I'm flying elicit drugs/items around my flight area and dropping them with my object release equipment. LOL. Joke.

I use that attachment to drop my fishing line out over coastal waters, instead of trying to cast my line out over the waves. Those things work great actually. I can drop my hook and bait as far as my line will reach. Cool little gadget. They have a servo, that releases the line, using the landing light under the drone. The drop occurs when the sensor sees you turn the light on, then the servo opens the release bar and down the bait and hook go. Great invention.
wow, next level fishery

KMKY is in Class G uncontrolled airspace under 700 ft Class E. There are no airspace restrictions for sUAS.

View attachment 128177

As is quite common, DJI has made the immediate vicinity an enhanced warning zone inside a warning zone, with a self-authorization zone protecting the runway and extended centerlines.

View attachment 128178
Thanks for the info !! I have that map too. I wonder why all the LAANC apps other than DJIs don't recognize it. Strange. But , its obvious. I'm in an authorization zone.

Thanks for the info !! I have that map too. I wonder why all the LAANC apps other than DJIs don't recognize it. Strange. But , its obvious. I'm in an authorization zone.

I have noticed DJI recently changed the bluezones, Small airports with one runaway like the one you are close buy were oragne some time ago (warning) now they have change them to blue and asking for self autorization.

DJI's geo system predates LAANC, and has no direct connection with it, which is why you won't see those DJI zones on other apps. And you don't need LAANC authorization to unlock DJI zones other than the red restricted zones, even if they are in controlled airspace where you need LAANC authorization to fly legally.

The only difference between the blue authorization zones and the yellow/orange warning zones is that you have to be connected to the internet and logged in to self-authorize in the blue zones - i.e. you cannot anonymously fly. Some Class G non-towered airports are DJI authorization zones, while others are warning zones. I'm not sure how DJI decided which to use.

I purchased and received my DJI Mini 2 back in November 2020 and the first few days were great, it’s flew as should and I was a loving my new hobby.

After the initial few day my unit started to become limited tot he distance and altitude it was able to fly. It would stop at 90ft altitude and 160ft distance.

As I was new I didn’t think much to it as I still was getting used to all the settings and processes in flying successfully.

People here on Reddit and other forums all suggested the same things

Have you updated firmware?

Have you calibrated the compass?

Are you in a restricted area?

Are you logged in with your real name?

All of these factors were looked into and were already fine. I got in touch with DJI and in January sent my device back to the Netherlands in order to have it assessed.

Due to brexit it took 3 months to arrive there and it was super stressful.

Once it was DJI it was assessed and they told me there was nothing wrong width the device and they will be sending it back to me, I was devastated.

In the mean time a work colleague said to me, “don’t suppose you have your VPN turned on” to which I replied ‘yes I do” for an to manage my data allowance.

When the drone returned on Friday I deleted the data management app and turned of the VPN and it has flown perfect ever since

Essentially the VPN was hiding my identity and then causing restrictions. Something so simple but nobody had stated anywhere that flying with VPN’s would be so problematic

If anyone else out there is having this issue then check your VPN settings

I wish I knew this info back in November

Fly safe all.
That is good to know that’s for passing on the info

I do IT. One possible reason the VPN may have interfered with the process is by not allowing you to log into DJI's services (even though you previously were logged in). Many backends will block traffic or block login access from VPN exit nodes due to abuse. It may well be that whatever backend DJI uses for authentication into their services did not like traffic coming from the exit node of your VPN. I run into this all the time with other services that I use, as I rarely surf the net without using a VPN.

Depending on what VPN you use, you might still be able to use the VPN while flying if you change which VPN server you connect to. VPN exit nodes tend to be blocked only after someone uses the node to do something naughty, so often one exit point will be blocked while another with the same service will have no problem. The VPN provider I use never seems to have a problem talking to DJI and I've flown my Mini 2 before with the VPN turned on on my iPhone, with the exit node sometimes differing drastically from my actual physical location (like, on the other side of the planet).

When I fly my Mavic Pro using my tablet (whose only connection to the internet is when I'm home using Wifi), I never get asked log in questions and I can fly without issues. Geofencing still occurs from downloaded data. So, if those of you who think you must be connected it is not necessary.

Reactions: RC_Adik
<< The drop occurs when the sensor sees you turn the light on, then the servo opens the release bar and down the bait and hook go. Great invention.>>
I was wondering how those things worked. Especially when using extremely light tackle, it just isn't going to have a enough mass to cast very far. And if one is casting into even a light breeze, it's really a problem. Nothing like applying technology to the ancient art of fishing! I would imagine that it would help to have a "few extra hands" for handling fishing equipment and the drone...even if for no other reason than keeping fish slime off of the drone. ;)

I purchased and received my DJI Mini 2 back in November 2020 and the first few days were great, it’s flew as should and I was a loving my new hobby.

After the initial few day my unit started to become limited tot he distance and altitude it was able to fly. It would stop at 90ft altitude and 160ft distance.

As I was new I didn’t think much to it as I still was getting used to all the settings and processes in flying successfully.

All of these factors were looked into and were already fine. I got in touch with DJI and in January sent my device back to the Netherlands in order to have it assessed.

Once it was DJI it was assessed and they told me there was nothing wrong width the device and they will be sending it back to me, I was devastated.

In the mean time a work colleague said to me, “don’t suppose you have your VPN turned on” to which I replied ‘yes I do” for an to manage my data allowance.

When the drone returned on Friday I deleted the data management app and turned of the VPN and it has flown perfect ever since

Essentially the VPN was hiding my identity and then causing restrictions. Something so simple but nobody had stated anywhere that flying with VPN’s would be so problematic

Fly safe all.
Glad to hear your problem is now solved

I had a similar experience with Mavic Air 2 bought in Dec 2020. Also sent it back and it came back still restricting height and distance. I managed to solve the issue by engaging or disengaging airplane mode (iphone ipad) whenever it does it

Fly safe all.
I'm never connected to anything when I fly. No Internet. No cell service. Nothing. I find it's the only way to fly restriction-free.

D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123