DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I just bought an E-bike

For road bikes the assist cutout limit of 15.5mph is too low to be of real use unless you live in a very hilly region.

Depending on model, disconnecting the speed sensor allows the assist to keep going. But, of course, I didn’t mention that.

Depending on model, disconnecting the speed sensor allows the assist to keep going. But, of course, I didn’t mention that.
Also, nobody would ever reprogram the wheel size on controllers where this is an option...ever ;)

I looked at what could be done to the Orbea Gain in this respect and it seemed to be a fairly well locked down system. The sensor was on the wheel where the motor was so picking out every 2nd magnet in the sensor ring may have worked... and been a pain to do ?

I just stuck with my old manual bike as my commute wasn't exactly long or hard... and now I work from home. Can't justify an ebike for a 4m cycle down the hall.

I love it.

From drones to bikes, anything can be "modified" to suit the user. :)

Wow, quite the thread. I put a deposit on an Aventon Adventure (Fat Bike).
Torn between a gravel type bike or the fat bike.

Perfect world ........ Buy them both
I'm a massive fan of fat bikes and had one for nearly seven years now plus it's the bike I've ridden by far the most because it can't just ride in any conditions but it makes them fun whether it's ploughing through heavy mud, powering down slippery trails or blasting through heavy snow. I normally switch to the summer bike by now but there's been really heavy rain here and the trails are still a mess so I've still been riding the fat bike, while the other bikes in the group were slithering around the mucky trails I could just ride through all the mud like it wasn't there.

y4mR0_w_K6JdnC6Z_dnV1dnFebNhKFuGKBDpT4LVP1ERFVOqVFpWORM2rFAogFFQSPMzvkbr2PD1UR46IYYAFeLXcub4GtyBZGaxIfWLkLwHVP7oA1KDJVclaK-jCFEt2-An37_SynCZyRxZYVBiKHyqr-46lXMhXpmS7aORqVktHZF_g7AWRSISBPNXwZxZX_5

That said I'd only consider a fat bike if most of your riding will be in mud, snow or very rough trails because otherwise you're getting a lot of disadvantages without getting the advantages this type of bike offers. I did originally use mine year round and entered cyclocross and endurance races but eventually decided on a 29+ for the summer, it's no match in poor conditions but otherwise it's faster and more agile while still offering a lot of grip and float.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
I picked up my first E-Bike last Summer (Sondors Fold X), then a couple weeks later scored a Totem CS-260 folding E-Bike on FB Marketplace for $100 bucks (seller said it was broken, but turned out to be a super easy fix)

20200924-084116.jpg

20200924-090759.jpg

20200924-091519.jpg

There was a big demand at the time, so I sold the Sondors for $500 more than what I paid for it and gave the Totem to my mom

Then picked up a new X3 Pro

20210321-131940-Large.jpg

20210313-163525-Large.jpg

20210321-145237-Large.jpg

20210606-124932.jpg

20201127-104029-Copy.jpg

Love this bike

According to the latest studies, riding an E-bike is just as good as regular bikes at improving fitness.

It's true

I have WAY more motivation to get on my E-Bike to explore new destinations that would be considered way out of my realm on a regular bike.

Because of this, I ride at least 1.5 hours every morning.

That's longer than I ever could go on my regular bike.

Best of all, I'm going much faster, so it's never boring.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
It's true

I have WAY more motivation to get on my E-Bike to explore new destinations that would be considered way out of my realm on a regular bike.

Because of this, I ride at least 1.5 hours every morning.

That's longer than I ever could go on my regular bike.

Best of all, I'm going much faster, so it's never boring.

Me too. I’ve been suffering from arthritis in my spine for 20-years and it’s one exercise that doesn’t hurt and actually eases the pain.

Always a coffee stop midway.

Getting a lot of interest from people who haven’t seen a mountain bike e-bike before. Even keen mountain bikers stop for a chat and keen to have a go.

I now have 500 miles in my Aventon Level eBike in about 2 months. I love it. Even on the several 90 degree plus days we have had, it's been great. Because of the assist, I am working up steep hills at 12-15 mph instead of 5-8 mph on my traditional bike, and that speed difference means a bit more breeze for cooler riding. I'm losing weight and feeling more generally active, so yeah...

I think the problem with people's perception of e-bikes is that they think they're just electric mopeds and require no effort even though in the UK (and possibly other areas) they're no longer allowed to even have throttles and the motor must be pedal driven. I think it's more like always cycling with a bit of a tail wind so you're still putting the effort into the cycle but getting a bit of help with hills and head winds.

I do hate the snobbery towards e-bikes but in reality I don't think anyone cares about what those people think and I've noticed a bit surge in e-bike use here over the last year, I was out today on a trip and saw a good number. I'm always pleased to see more bikes on the ride, much better than more cars instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAW and SkyeHigh
I fully agree with everything you say. There is a general misconception that E-Bikes require no peddling. If that were the case we’d have foot rests instead. A lot of countries require the motor only assist while peddling - Australia included.

My Mountain E-Bike, made by Norco, also has a ‘Walk Assist’ mode that assists only while moving but no peddle movement and the mode button must be pressed at the time. It is designed to help get the bike over obstacles and sections of track that you cannot ride over. It’s almost entirely carbon fibre but still weighs 25KG.

Took a spill while riding out on Fire Island yesterday

Same video in 360* VR (you can see my phone go flying lol)

I fitted a front wheel kit from Cyclotricity in the uk, best thing I have ever done as now 68 and fully retired so enjoying the easier cycling the pedal assist gives me, limited to 250w and 15mph here in the uk but at least I can fit my new mini2 drone in the rear bag when out and about.??? Update, 500 miles now and loving it.??
E079326C-BBD7-4D78-A1CF-0B3B8187AE6F.jpeg

Greater Sydney, NSW just going into lockdown for two weeks following an increase in numbers of people infected with the Delta Covid strain thanks to an individual not following precautions and blaming everyone else than himself for what he has caused.

At least we can still exercise so time to top-up the batteries on my E-bike and get some fresh air.

Not able to afford an E-bike yet, though it sounds really interesting. Ancheer E-Cruise would be the most suitable for me, I think

Reactions: AlexIrving
I actually sold my old X3 Pro last week on Craigslist for $2500, then ordered a brand new updated model for much less (people just don't do research nowadays lol)

They currently have $300 Black Friday coupon for anyone interested

Nice to find a thread on here about ebikes. Such fun to jump on the ebike, throw the drone backpack on and go fly around the lake…..all charged by the sun. I have a solar array, battery bank and sine wave inverter for charging all of my cordless things, even the lawn mower.

Here is a pic of my bike.

Mike

Attachments

• DEA9C077-10BD-42B9-A0A3-0E00AF375D0F.jpeg
    DEA9C077-10BD-42B9-A0A3-0E00AF375D0F.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 63FB175D-946D-4E01-A4C1-A547DD6DFC18.jpeg
    63FB175D-946D-4E01-A4C1-A547DD6DFC18.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads