DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I live near a small airport and it shows no restrictions in B4UFLY, KittyHawk, AirMap...

Two Seam

Reactions
I just need some clarification to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here... I can post screenshots/name airport if necessary.

I live near a small airport and when I check in one of these apps it doesn't show anything around it. B4UFLY even says "Clear for Takeoff. No active advisories. Maintain situational awareness". I can even drop the pin on top of the runway and it says clear for takeoff (not that I would ever fly there, just showing the extreme). However, when I check Fly Safe I'm in the "Enhanced Warning Zone" and my house is even in "Authorized Zone" because it's lined up with the runway (a ~couple miles away). I have to check the boxes whenever I takeoff.

I think I read that it's E5 airspace and from searching I think that type starts at 700ft up and anything under is uncontrolled. faa.gov says:

Airports in Uncontrolled Airspace​

For flights near airports in uncontrolled airspace that remain under 400’ above the ground, prior authorization is not required. When flying in these areas, remote pilots and recreational flyers must be aware of and avoid traffic patterns and takeoff and landing areas. A drone must not interfere with operations at the airport must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft. Uncontrolled airspace and other flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app.

I think I'm alright but I see small planes flying near my house quite frequently and I'm very nervous that I'm doing something wrong.

Reactions: Cw4bray
I just need some clarification to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here... I can post screenshots/name airport if necessary.

I live near a small airport and when I check in one of these apps it doesn't show anything around it. B4UFLY even says "Clear for Takeoff. No active advisories. Maintain situational awareness". I can even drop the pin on top of the runway and it says clear for takeoff (not that I would ever fly there, just showing the extreme). However, when I check Fly Safe I'm in the "Enhanced Warning Zone" and my house is even in "Authorized Zone" because it's lined up with the runway (a ~couple miles away). I have to check the boxes whenever I takeoff.

I think I read that it's E5 airspace and from searching I think that type starts at 700ft up and anything under is uncontrolled. faa.gov says:

I think I'm alright but I see small planes flying near my house quite frequently and I'm very nervous that I'm doing something wrong.
The name of the airport would make it easy to tell you for certain but sounds like a non-towered airport and unless it is in the controlled airspace of another towered airport then you are free and clear but still have to follow all the rules that always apply like giving way to manned aircraft.

KVNC - Venice Municipal Airport
Apply for a custom unlock (www.dji.com/flysafe). Log in and apply. Simply explain the airport is a G Airspace airport, and ask them to unlock the entire restricted area. Tell them it is an "overly restrictive GEO Fence". Ask for as long as they'll give you. Probably 6 months. You'll have to turn on the unlock each time, and you'll need to be connected to wifi when you're flying.

Sort of a pain, but that will let you fly near the airport.

KVNC is a class E airport and does not have a tower. Class E airports are controlled from 700' above ground level (AGL) or 1200' AGL up to 17,999' MSL; KVNC controlled airspace begins at 700' AGL. As long as you don't fly above 699' (AGL), you are allowed to fly in that area.

I would make sure you have a radio capable of listening in on 122.725 to make sure you don't interfere with any incoming/outgoing manned aircraft; they always have the right of way.

Last edited:
Reactions: brett8883
KVNC is a class E airport and does not have a tower. Class E airports are controlled from 700' above ground level (AGL) or 1200' AGL up to 17,999' MSL; KVNC controlled airspace begins at 700' AGL. As long as you don't fly above 699' (AGL), you are allowed to fly in that area.

I would make sure you have a radio capable of listening in on 122.725 to make sure you don't interfere with any incoming/outgoing manned aircraft; they always have the right of way.
I concur with one small clarification.

Recreational UAS pilots can never fly above 400’ AGL.

Part 107 certificate holders can only fly above 400’ AGL if they are within 400’ laterally of a structure and cannot fly more than 400’ above the highest point on the structure or if they have a waiver to fly above 400ft AGL which is pretty difficult to get.

I know @KB4MTO didn’t mean to suggest otherwise I just think it’s always important to be Crystal clear about these things.

That looks like a fairly busy airport. Maybe an accidental oversight that it was overlooked by the new LAANC program.. Class "E" is controlled airspace.
It doesn't need to have a control tower to be controlled airspace. When the weather changes, the airspace boundaries change, ( control starts at the SFC not 700') the reason is to separate VFR from IFR traffic. So when the ceiling is below 1000' or the visibility is below 3 miles controlled airspace starts at the surface.
VHF radios are "line of sight", and won't work very well on the ground. Especially "off" airport.
This was a good question, however, you may not like some of the answers. : - (

Last edited:
"Class E Airspace Class E airspace is the controlled airspace not classified as Class A, B, C, or D airspace. A large amount of the airspace over the United States is designated as Class E airspace. 15-3 Figure 15-2. An example of a prohibited area, P-40 around Camp David. This provides sufficient airspace for the safe control and separation of aircraft during IFR operations. Chapter 3 of the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) explains the various types of Class E airspace. Sectional and other charts depict all locations of Class E airspace with bases below 14,500 feet MSL. In areas where charts do not depict a class E base, class E begins at 14,500 feet MSL. In most areas, the Class E airspace base is 1,200 feet AGL. In many other areas, the Class E airspace base is either the surface or 700 feet AGL. Some Class E airspace begins at an MSL altitude depicted on the charts, instead of an AGL altitude. Class E airspace typically extends up to, but not including, 18,000 feet MSL (the lower limit of Class A airspace). All airspace above FL 600 is Class E airspace."

The answer to your question depend on the "type" of class E your airport is in. That can be found on a sectional chart.

When in doubt, go to the source:

Kittyhawk explains it this way:
A big point of confusion comes from the fact that there are multiple types of Class E airspace, only one of which (Class E2) requires authorization in order to operate there. Part 107.41 makes clear that no person may operate a small UAS “within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from ATC.” This somewhat complicated language refers specifically to Class E2 airspace, which generally means a Class E airport (with controlled airspace that extends to the surface), and not extensions to other classes of airspace.

The remaining types of Class E airspace are still considered controlled airspace, but do not require prior authorization in order to operate (since the controlled airspace starts at 700 ft. AGL) – so you don’t need a LAANC authorization there.

The answer to your question depend on the "type" of class E your airport is in. That can be found on a sectional chart.
Thanks for the responses. I remember clicking on something and it said class E-5 but I can't remember what app I was in. Maybe I'm wrong because in this PDF that was linked in the article you cited it only goes up to E-4. I attached a screenshot, I don't know what any of it means, I'm about 3 weeks into this whole drone thing heh.... I just googled "Florida air chart" and found it. I think this is what you're talking about. I also posted the Fly Safe map.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-14 125312.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-14 125312.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2020-11-14 131440.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-14 131440.png
    362.7 KB · Views: 28
Here's the same thing from B4UFLY just for good measure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201114-132352_B4UFLY.jpg
    Screenshot_20201114-132352_B4UFLY.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 25
DJI often makes runway paths for even smaller airports as authorization zones. They just want to be safe as many are new to drones and even those knowing the rules may be unaware of a nearby airport and potentially in the path of planes taking off/landing.

It's rather easy to unlock even in the field, as long as the app has access to the internet and you have SMS so you can get a code to prove you're not a bot. SMS capability doesn't have to be on the same device running the app.

Point of clarification.

KVNC is a Class E5 airspace. There are also Class E2 airports that require LAANC or 107.41 to fly at.

The best place to check is the FAA's ArcGIS site. Put the address in the search box and it will tell you if it's controlled airspace and what airport controls it.

Reactions: brett8883
"Class E Airspace Class E airspace is the controlled airspace not classified as Class A, B, C, or D airspace. A large amount of the airspace over the United States is designated as Class E airspace. 15-3 Figure 15-2. An example of a prohibited area, P-40 around Camp David. This provides sufficient airspace for the safe control and separation of aircraft during IFR operations. Chapter 3 of the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) explains the various types of Class E airspace. Sectional and other charts depict all locations of Class E airspace with bases below 14,500 feet MSL. In areas where charts do not depict a class E base, class E begins at 14,500 feet MSL. In most areas, the Class E airspace base is 1,200 feet AGL. In many other areas, the Class E airspace base is either the surface or 700 feet AGL. Some Class E airspace begins at an MSL altitude depicted on the charts, instead of an AGL altitude. Class E airspace typically extends up to, but not including, 18,000 feet MSL (the lower limit of Class A airspace). All airspace above FL 600 is Class E airspace."

When in doubt, go to the source:
I concur with one small clarification.

Recreational UAS pilots can never fly above 400’ AGL.

Part 107 certificate holders can only fly above 400’ AGL if they are within 400’ laterally of a structure and cannot fly more than 400’ above the highest point on the structure or if they have a waiver to fly above 400ft AGL which is pretty difficult to get.

I know @KB4MTO didn’t mean to suggest otherwise I just think it’s always important to be Crystal clear about these things.
Thanks for the clarification ?

I believe you answered your own question. I appreciate your effort to confirm that your Drone flight is SAFE and LEGAL
Uncontrolled Airspace
Class G Airspace
Uncontrolled airspace or Class G airspace is the portion of the airspace that has not been designated as Class A, B, C, D, or E. It is therefore designated uncontrolled airspace. Class G airspace extends from the surface to the base of the overlying Class E airspace. Although ATC has no authority or responsibility to control air traffic, pilots should remember there are visual flight rules (VFR) minimums that apply to Class G airspace.
Blue Skies & Happy Trails

...I just started studying for the FAA test, but won’t bother if I can’t fly it in Venice & Sarasota areas.
For me it is just a problem in the area around the airport, including Casperson Beach. A second minor issue involves around the police stations, both the old and the new, as I think there holding cells make them a jail and overflights could drop contraband...

For me it is just a problem in the area around the airport, including Casperson Beach. A second minor issue involves around the police stations, both the old and the new, as I think there holding cells make them a jail and overflights could drop contraband...
Thanks for letting me know! It sounds like flying a little bit away from the airport (farther down the beach...like Venice Beach, Manasota Beach) would be ok? And far enough away from police stations?

I was a bit concerned when I looked at the official map, the red airspace circle covers nearly all of Venice. Didn’t think it would be worth the while to do the test and buy a drone if I couldn’t use it in town or on Manasota / Venice Beach. Seems like it should be ok though?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78