DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost My DJI Mini . Do not Buy it !!!!!! wind took it away !!!!

Do not buy this devise .I just got it . I took it for it first flight . wind took it away. GPS sucks .Spent 6 hours looking for it .Do not buy this Devise .It sucks . So so upset :(!!!!!

I've got to comment too...very sorry you lost your drone...but after flying mine 30-40 times it"s obvious that this little bird is just that: very little! You cannot expect it to hold its own in strong winds (either aloft or near the ground). Just be cognizant of the weather where you're flying, and when you're flying (conditions change!)...I also fly a Mavic 2 Pro and these issues apply to it as well. Re: GPS. I'm routinely getting connected to 10-17 satellites with the MM...very satisified with this aircraft.

The DJI user manual for the Mini - quotes the "Max. wind speed resistance" as 8 metres/sec.(Scale 4) - which I believe is around 17 mph.
The Mav' Mini really is a clear-sky, windless day type of drone ...

Last edited:

I wonder if DJI should update the firmware of the MM so that as altitude increases and it detects that the wind is increasing and approaching the limits it can fly safely, perhaps instead of just a brief pop-up warning of high wind speeds it PREVENTS the drone from flyer any higher, and leave a message on the screen that says height is restricted due to wind conditions. This would no doubt cause some folks to complain, so they could include a feature to disable this limitation (but have it turned on by default). Thoughts?

I wonder if DJI should update the firmware of the MM so that as altitude increases and it detects that the wind is increasing and approaching the limits it can fly safely, perhaps instead of just a brief pop-up warning of high wind speeds it PREVENTS the drone from flyer any higher, and leave a message on the screen that says height is restricted due to wind conditions. This would no doubt cause some folks to complain, so they could include a feature to disable this limitation (but have it turned on by default). Thoughts?
I think it's just a matter of taking that pop-up wind warning seriously Allan. I know that software doesn't add weight, but you may need additional silicon on the Mav' Mini's circuit boards to provide the kind of sensing you suggest, and therefore negate the whole idea of making a light-weight & low-cost drone.

Subject to meditate by every drone owner and specially by MM owners :

1579394914883.png

In other words, wind speed at 30m altitude (100 feet) can be more than twice wind speed measured at 2.50m (8 feet). This does not take into account turbulences nor possible obstacles more or less close to the ground such as buildings or trees.
It is widely considered that a naked winter tree can decrease the wind speed under its "shadow" by 30%. With summer leafes, this is by around 50%...

I think it would be difficult to implement due to the variance in wind levels especially when it's gusting, the Mavic could be at what it calculates to be a safe level and then end up being blown away without going any higher. I'm assuming the software is similar to the older Mavics and warns when wind speeds are too high and to land the drone?

I've also wondered if it's more difficult to tell when the Mavic Mini is struggling in the wind, the Spark is the smallest drone I've flown and as expected it does struggle with the wind more than the bigger Mavics but it's quite clear when the wind is too high and the drone is fighting it so it can then be landed safely.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Do not buy this devise .I just got it . I took it for it first flight . wind took it away. GPS sucks .Spent 6 hours looking for it .Do not buy this Devise .It sucks . So so upset :(!!!!!
sorry about your experience....you need to understand the limits of the drone, that you purchase.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31