DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost My mavic Air It was partially my fault.

DeanVaknin305

Reactions
Sorry for making this so long. I’m a new pilot actually just made an account and I would really love some opinions from more experienced pilots because I’ve only been doing this drone stuff for about a month and most of it has been watching YouTube videos.

Hello everyone reading this, let me begin with saying I lost my drone. Well, I know exactly where it is but it’s unreachable. It’s exactly here actually: 36.393353 ,25.437452 . It’s Santorini Greece on the side of the mountain. Let me explain how it got there.

If you couldn’t tell by it’s location, I’m very new to this. I’ll share a link to the google drive with my flight records so you can see. I got the mavic air, on June 12, 2019 if I remember correctly. You can see in the flight records that my brother and I have only flown it a couple times each before I went to Greece and most of the flights were pretty basic and close quarters flights. After a few weeks in Israel I went to Greece and took the Mavic Air with me. I went to a location that seemed appropriate to capture a nice video of the sunset. I started with the normal stuff everything was okay. I did a manual take off for some reason I find it more fun to manually take off. It really was on the side of a mountain which is above the height limit allowed to fly in Greece. Without thinking I proceeded to fly my drone in the air just a couple feet from me because I was honestly petrified I was so scared of losing the drone and boom that’s what happened. After a couple seconds of it in the air I felt comfortable enough to begin moving forward down the mountain.

Once the drone was around 20-40 feet infront of me I noticed that it started going down by itself. I looked down at my screen and it said that I have passed the maximum limit allowed in this area, and it must auto land. I kind of started to panick but I thought to myself okay I can just cancel it. I tried canceling it and bring the drone up but it didn’t work. I kept clicking cancel auto landing and nothing happens and the drone would not go up.

Eventually the drone hit bushes and crashed in the side of the mountain.

if anyone could give me some feedback on this I would highly appreciate it. I’ve started a case with dji and they’re very kind and helpful. I also searched the forums a little bit and saw that this community is also very helpful. Again thank you in advance to anyone who can answer my prayers.

What do you think will end up happening?

Google drive link : Mavic Air Flight Records - Google Drive

Reactions: NoScreenNamesLeft
I'm confused by this post --- you have the GPS coordinates of your downed Mavic --- so go fetch it?
That’s the thing. It’s in the side of a mountain. There’s no path leading to it. I can’t really just “fetch” it. It was about 400 feet away and roughly 190 feet below me. Trust me, I was in the army and I’ve climbed a bunch of stuff and if there was any way I could’ve gone about fetching the drone without risking my life I would have done so.

I see, so what do you think will happen with this

I think we have our wires crossed. I said in post No.3 "He probably needs mountain rescue to assist" because I assumed it would be high up on the mountain side somewhere which would be inaccessible. You confirmed that in post No.4.

It may help if you put up a link to your flight log and I'm sure the technical guys will be along to dissect the information and give you a verdict.

I think we have our wires crossed. I said in post No.3 "He probably needs mountain rescue to assist" because I assumed it would be high up on the mountain side somewhere which would be inaccessible. You confirmed that in post No.4.

It may help if you put up a link to your flight log and I'm sure the technical guys will be along to dissect the information and give you a verdict.

He posted the log in post #1. The problem was that the aircraft was launched before a GPS lock was acquired. Once it was acquired it immediately went into autolanding mode because it was in a NFZ. Unfortunately he had no altitude to work with at that point, and could only go down.

Reactions: The Rolling Drones
Sounds like suicide by GeoZone. I would find out if this area is really a NFZ or not if it isn’t I’d demand a new drone. If it is a NFZ I’d still complain about it.

Looks like you were barely in the GeoZone and out of the flight path 77023

Approximately 2.3 miles from the runway but outside of the flow of aircraft.

Repel with a rope, if you have the skill and fitness.

Otherwise, if you’re not going back to that island, contact their community and ask them to retrieve the drone. You have nothing to lose by asking their help. Some people are nice and may be up for the challenge.

Reactions: Mavic-Master88
There’s absolutely no way I was in a no fly zone. There where tons of other pilots there. A few days later I saw someone using either a spark or Mavic I really dont want to say exactly but i could tell it was a dji product because I saw her controller as she was only about 50 feet away from me on the balcony of her building around loads of other people. I just don’t understand why it would go up even if I canceled auto landing and changed the Maximum flight altitude. I’m also VERY new to this I’m not sure if I stressed it enough. Anyways here’s link to the video I took after I saw that wonderful lady flying here. Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming