DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need some clarification on LAANC and flying as a hobbyist.

boblou

Reactions
So, I want to fly my drone near me house but I am just inside the five mile radius of an airport. I found out I have to “notify” the airport to be able to fly legally without a part 107 license. I found out about LAANC and really liked the idea of not having to call every time I fly. I tried using AirMap and my airport does have LAANC but it doesn’t work when I select “fly for fun”? Is there anyway to notify airports as a hobbyist without having to call? I really want to just be able to send a digital notice but can’t find out how.

Reactions: andymavicpro
So, I want to fly my drone near me house but I am just inside the five mile radius of an airport. I found out I have to “notify” the airport to be able to fly legally without a part 107 license. I found out about LAANC and really liked the idea of not having to call every time I fly. I tried using AirMap and my airport does have LAANC but it doesn’t work when I select “fly for fun”? Is there anyway to notify airports as a hobbyist without having to call? I really want to just be able to send a digital notice but can’t find out how.

As of right now, no. What type of airport are we talking about? Does it have a tower? Some airports have established a hotline where you could call in your intentions, a simple internet search of the airport's website might reveal their policy with regards to hobbyist sUAV ops.

Now with all that said, the requirements of FAR 101.41 will be going away. The new FAA authorization act establishes new requirements for hobbyist operations, that is basically staying out of controlled airspace. Right now the new law hasn't been codified into regulation so we are in a sought of limbo. Browse on this website and you can read all about this.

Reactions: dawgpilot
if you plan to stay under 100' and around your yard you will be fine
(unless you have cranky neighbors!) If you see planes at 100' or below, flying over your house a lot, then drive somewhere else to fly. There is no reason to expect that YOU will be the FIRST drone pilot fined for flying at the edge of an airport boundary. Have fun and dont do anything stupid!

Reactions: Filipok
if you plan to stay under 100' and around your yard you will be fine
(unless you have cranky neighbors!)
I have seen some UAS Facility Maps where the height restriction is as low as 50'. Definitely check here: UAS Facility Maps for any applicable height restrictions for your area. Also, in those areas, I think that height is a hard limit and cannot be added to the heights of any structures. I know having to call the airport to notify them is no fun, but you are doing the right thing.

Which airport are you flying near?

Reactions: Filipok
I have seen some UAS Facility Maps where the height restriction is as low as 50'. Definitely check here: UAS Facility Maps for any applicable height restrictions for your area. Also, in those areas, I think that height is a hard limit and cannot be added to the heights of any structures. I know having to call the airport to notify them is no fun, but you are doing the right thing.

Which airport are you flying near?
I can almost assure you that the OP doesn't have aircraft flying over his house at less that 500' at the 5 mile radius. even more unlikely if he is in a neighborhood situation. if he is flying in a way that has ZERO impact on other aircraft, he will be OK, if he doesnt WANT to call the airport. Maybe not by the book, but I see no way he would get a ticket or fine.

Another thing to consider is where you are relative to the runway(s). If you are somewhere along the runway, some extra caution is warranted.

Here is a UAS Facility Map as an example, if you haven't seen one yet. Definitely see that the height limit drops off quick as you get within the axis of the runway, if you will.
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 6.43.42 PM.png

Whether OP wishes to continue to do things by the book is strictly his/her choice. I am merely trying to give the best advice I could.

Unfortunately a lot of airports aren't subscribing to LAANC. I wish the airport near me did. It really should. It's big enough.

Folks,
Download the new app by the FAA. "B4UFly" it shows the latest info and gives you a good to go or informs you what you need to do.

That's not new, been out for several years. Ironically not very accurate. Airmap tends to have more accurate info and easier to use in planning flights.

LAANC doesn't have anything to do with hobby flight. It's a quick way for commercial flights to be approved other than waiting the possibly 3 months for approval from the FAA. It's just a streamlined process. It allows instant approval of commercial flights in controlled airspace if the UAV pilot stays under the specified altitude in the grid. The flight must meet all Part 107 requirements. If you look at where the grids are you will see that they generally cover Class E airspace that extends to ground level.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR