DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I passed my 107 test in December. I'm an idiot. What's changed?

I want to fly at night or over people... can I?
Not yet.

You need to take the recurrent online training to fly at night w/o a waiver. You can find that here is you have an FAASafety account. If not, set that up first. Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

For over people, you don't need to knew training. That is automatic.

However, neither rule is in effect until 4/21. The night ops required the training (as mentioned), and a strobe visible for 3 statute miles.

Over people operations are extremely limited. The drone must be under 250g, and have no rotating parts that can lacerate human skin. More info on the actual over people rules here: New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) – Drone Service Providers Alliance

Reactions: BigAl07
Vic Moss is right on and detailed. One caveat is...Are you a part 61 "manned aircraft pilot" who has a current flight review? If so you are required to take a similar course/test but for part 61 pilot. If you are not in fact a manned pilot disregard my words and click Vic's link. Either course/test is FREE so you are not an idiot as you stated!

Reactions: BigAl07
Vic Moss is right on and detailed. One caveat is...Are you a part 61 "manned aircraft pilot" who has a current flight review? If so you are required to take a similar course/test but for part 61 pilot. If you are not in fact a manned pilot disregard my words and click Vic's link. Either course/test is FREE so you are not an idiot as you stated!

Just a point of clarification...

A Part 61 who has already passed an IKT (Part 107 or 61) can take ALC-677 (Part 107 only) to become current again with Part 107. A part 61 Pilot who is out of currency can become Part 107 Current again with ALC-677.

I'm confused about remote ID. There isn't a solution right now. How can we be held accountable?

I'm confused about remote ID. There isn't a solution right now. How can we be held accountable?
The RID isn't mandated until 9/16/2023, you don't need to worry about it right now. The standards aren't even set yet.

The RID isn't mandated until 9/16/2023, you don't need to worry about it right now. The standards aren't even set yet.
The FAA has never met a date it can't delay....so 9/16/2023 could be even later. Off my radar until then!

Reactions: Thomas B
The FAA has never met a date it can't delay....so 9/16/2023 could be even later. Off my radar until then!
Yeah, off the radar is good. And it does remain to be seen if the make the 9/16/23 deadline. I think they will, because the tech already exists. It would just need a bit of tweaking to pass muster with the standards once they are met. But who knows?

Is it correct still that if a private flight you can fly at night at least ?
Recreational flights are allowed. You basically need lighting to show altitude and attitude. DI OEM light satisfy that requirement. Assuming you're talking about US rules.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Assuming you're talking about US rules.

Absolutely, most other country drone regs (like our Aussie ones) don't allow night flights for recreational, but do with approvals for commercial RePL (part 107 equivalent) flights.

I think most pilots (recreational or commercial) would show some common sense if flying at night, many flying for fun would just take their drones straight up, take a nice city lights photos or similar, and land again.
It certainly takes a lot more planning and effort to safely fly any sort of distance at night, unless out in the boonies with nothing much around to be concerned with.

I suppose it depends on a pilots experience with flying by the controller / display readouts and maps orientation etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54