DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Phone Update : IOS 14 is a Game Changer for the flying the Drone.

A couple of advantages on the sc.
No cables. No device holder. One controller for the three aircraft that can be used. Now four aircraft with the addition of the air2.

SO the problem with AIR PLANE mode for me, was sometimes more often than not I forgot to turn it back off.
Once you miss a dozen important phone calls , your not to fond of it.

I don't know if you've played around with automation on iOS before using Shortcuts, pretty cool. I made a shortcut that opens the DJI Fly app, save things like current brightness, volume etc, then calls setting I like to use when flying, like do not disturb on etc. Run again when finished to recall your previous setting, turn off do not disturb etc:
Apple Shortcuts for the iPhone

Cool thing with iOS 14 is that you can do the same, but use App open/closes as a trigger for automation. So whenever I open the Fly app it does the same thing as the shortcut, saving my current settings, turns Do not Disturb On, and when I close the app it recalls my previous settings, do not disturb Off etc.

Kinda fun to play around with (to me any way!).

Last edited:
I picked up the refurbished SC a while back for $599 so I could use it with the DJI Simulator (MA2 radio not compatible) and hoping it would eventually compatible. Still spendy, but helps ease the pain a bit. Looks like they're sold out now, though.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have not updated my iphone to ios 14 as yet. Can anybody who has tell me if ios 14 retains the ability to group apps in folders (apart from in the new library, that is).

I have not updated my iphone to ios 14 as yet. Can anybody who has tell me if ios 14 retains the ability to group apps in folders (apart from in the new library, that is).

Yes it does it’s basically the same thing but with the new App Library and the redesigned widgets when you swipe left.

I quit taking updates on all Apple products since their software people don't know what their doing anymore. I have mostly PC's now and quit updating Windows 3-5 years ago. I just got a refirbished iPad Mini for drone flying only and will not be updating my system on that either. Does anybody wonder why Microsoft or Apple come out with updates sometimes not 2 weeks later after an new update? After 25 years in silicon valley companies it's known as bad Q&A before you release a product. They're using us consumers to do their testing for them.

I would like it if @JMcD floated back in here and clarified this statement. Not a good idea? Why?

Personally, I have no issues using my only every-day phone to fly my drone. While I'm flying, I don't care to have my phone act like a phone, so it's a mutually exclusive use set. I turn Airplane Mode on, shut the world out, and enjoy my flight. When I'm packed away, the phone comes back off Airplane Mode.

I can't speak for @JMcD - but I like my phone all charged up and safely tucked in my pocket. I do this when I'm driving my truck as well. If I do get a call or notification I can get the aircraft stopped, or simply ignore it.

When I can I like to fly with a larger screen, I bought a used galaxy tab and it helps me see power lines better, like when I flew this bridge last weekend. I may not have seen them with my phone. When that isn't practical or for quick flights I use a 6S+ that my son destroyed, I put a new screen on it from amazon for $30 and it works great, no cell service, and the only app on there is DJI. I get a lot of calls and texts, this way I'm not tempted. And the auto insurance warranty calls can wait.

But hey, it all works!! Have fun & stay safe out there!!

119694292_10158618669543728_3272451124042623837_o (1).jpg

While the Smart Controllers bright screen is probably a great thing for flying in bright sun, and many devices admittedly could be brighter, its a tough sell for me to have to spend within a few $$ the cost of of the MA2 for the Smart controller.. IMHO its overpriced for what it is. Perhaps some or all will disagree with that... Not sure what a reasonable price would be, perhaps under $500. but even then, its an expensive device, the screen while bright is far smaller than an inexpensive tablet or even an iPad Mini, which will run you about $300+ depending on new or used.. And in many cases, you can find ways to work around the brightness issue, shade covers, or places with shade to fly from, yeah, thats not always an option. I know... just my 2 cents..

The issue with the SC and price is with those coming late/early to the game. When you ordered a Mavic 2 you could sub the regular remote and get the SC. Price was adjusted accordingly. I have no doubt that DJI will begin marketing a MA2/SC combo now that they have the new firmware and price will be adjusted there as well. For reference I paid recently for a M2Z/SC combo new from Adorama $1524 (that's $175 to upgrade to a SC. So just for kicks let's put price in perspective on SC it's parts and such. I think most will agree it's alot of bang for the buck when you break it down.

M2Z = $1349
CS 5.5"= $500
Total $1850 for a quasi SC system without much of the benefits.

Going further on a Smart controller build out alone.
So stock controller, $400ish new, around whatever used on Fleabay
CS 5.5 new $500 (can't really price a SC at sub $500 knowing that alone)
So now you have a quasi SC again
so in that price it would be $900 and the CS is $750, so not so overpriced?

All in all, not much help for those who jumped on the MA2 out of the gate, but for those still pending, I would give DJI a month or so to see if they offer a MA2/SC combo if the SC is something your aiming at. As I got the "upgrade" to SC for $175 more :)

Now just waiting for DJI to offer stand alone MA2...and I will save even more owning a SC already :)

On topic I am waiting to update my iPadPro..I hear the beta isn't working right at this juncture.

Last edited:
The issue with the SC and price is with those coming late/early to the game. When you ordered a Mavic 2 you could sub the regular remote and get the SC. Price was adjusted accordingly. I have no doubt that DJI will begin marketing a MA2/SC combo now that they have the new firmware and price will be adjusted there as well. For reference I paid recently for a M2Z/SC combo new from Adorama $1524 (that's $175 to upgrade to a SC. So just for kicks let's put price in perspective on SC it's parts and such. I think most will agree it's alot of bang for the buck when you break it down.

M2Z = $1349
CS 5.5"= $500

All in all, not much help for those who jumped on the MA2 out of the gate, but for those still pending, I would give DJI a month or so to see if they offer a MA2/SC combo if the SC is something your aiming at. As I got the "upgrade" to SC for $175 more :)

Now just waiting for DJI to offer stand alone MA2...and I will save even more owning a SC already :)

On topic I am waiting to update my iPadPro..I hear the beta isn't working right at this juncture.
They do offer the stand alone AIR 2 but you have to send an email to DJI support to get a ticket and invoice for it .

Last edited:
I resisted the Smart Controller for a long time. Now I don't know why. The Smart Controller has enough charge to allow me to fly my Mavic Pro 2 with 4-5 batteries; unplanned incoming phone calls don't interfere with controlling my drone's flight; the screen is slightly bigger and brighter; and there are additional built in function buttons that can be customized (like adjusting exposure).

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

M2Z = $1349
CS 5.5"= $500

To me irregardless of past bundle pricing, the controller is overpriced.. and the more I think about it, by a lot..

One can tout the advantages all day, but it doesn't compensate for the high list price of $749, plus tax in most cases. And while there could be some bargains around, I could not readily find one for just the controller. I may have missed it, however, even if they were a $150-200 less, still would be a high price to pay for a controller.. Stlll more than a Mavic-Mini..

I think there is a larger advantage in having a larger screen, I can compensate in most cases for perhaps the lack of brightness, sure, it may not always be possible, but the larger view of a tablet device is preferable to some nits. Perhaps not to everyone... to each there own on this one..

Now of the cost of the controller when bundled with a drone package, which I think you noted one one case was like $175, if I could buy an SC for that, perhaps up to $250 or so, might ponder getting one.. but I am not ever expecting DJI to lower the price of the SC down that low ever.... Just the fact perhaps that the cost of the SC in a bundle could be calculated so low, shows how overpriced it is.

Down the road a newer more powerful one will probably come out before a lower price comes along on the old model, and a new one will probably be in the same price range, maybe less if we're lucky.

Reactions: StantonZ and M2D2
I resisted the Smart Controller for a long time. Now I don't know why. The Smart Controller has enough charge to allow me to fly my Mavic Pro 2 with 4-5 batteries; unplanned incoming phone calls don't interfere with controlling my drone's flight; the screen is slightly bigger and brighter; and there are additional built in function buttons that can be customized (like adjusting exposure).
If you've invested in the SC, nice, however you could easily enable do not disturb or airplane mode to prevent other phone activities from interfering with your flights..

Reactions: StantonZ
To me irregardless of past bundle pricing, the controller is overpriced.. and the more I think about it, by a lot..

One can tout the advantages all day, but it doesn't compensate for the high list price of $749, plus tax in most cases. And while there could be some bargains around, I could not readily find one for just the controller. I may have missed it, however, even if they were a $150-200 less, still would be a high price to pay for a controller.. Stlll more than a Mavic-Mini..

I think there is a larger advantage in having a larger screen, I can compensate in most cases for perhaps the lack of brightness, sure, it may not always be possible, but the larger view of a tablet device is preferable to some nits. Perhaps not to everyone... to each there own on this one..

Now of the cost of the controller when bundled with a drone package, which I think you noted one one case was like $175, if I could buy an SC for that, perhaps up to $250 or so, might ponder getting one.. but I am not ever expecting DJI to lower the price of the SC down that low ever.... Just the fact perhaps that the cost of the SC in a bundle could be calculated so low, shows how overpriced it is.

Down the road a newer more powerful one will probably come out before a lower price comes along on the old model, and a new one will probably be in the same price range, maybe less if we're lucky.

Very well said, couldn’t agree more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2