DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I screwed up, lost drone

Cherryhead

Reactions
I changed the home point, lost contact,, flew the drone well out of visual sight range, ran out of battery, and wasn't watching the drone, all at the same time on a remote hilltop. It'a all my fault.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I went to that last spot, and the drone could not be found.

So, can you help me understand what the drone was thinking as it ran out of battery. Did it try to go over the hill, or retreat to the flat desert floor, or fall out the sky at that spot?

From the screen shot you can see me walking all over hell.

Attachments

• 20180622_012427.jpg
    20180622_012427.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 251
If you changed the home point.....do you know what it was changed to??....I suspect not otherwise you'd have known where to go..

Smithy.

yes i know what I changed it to. I changed it to my location, which was near that end point, right about where the blue scribble in this screen shot

Attachments

• Captureddd.PNG
    Captureddd.PNG
    810.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Did it try to go over the hill, or retreat to the flat desert floor, or fall out the sky at that spot?
At the end of your flight log, the Mavic was 954 feet from the home point and at an altitude of 1,277 feet. The new home point was on top of a hill that was about 121 feet higher than the takeoff point, so the current altitude was more like 1,155 feet.

It's not clear what happened at the end of the flight log since it just cuts off. Since you didn't already try looking at the home point at 40.80596819, -113.9424132 (inside the red circle below), it would be best to look there first.

20180622_012427.jpg

If you don't find it there, then start looking between the last location and the home point (in the yellow box below).

Location.jpg

Thanks, I don't know why people think I didn't look for the drone the the home point. of course I did.

But thanks, what really helped is the altitude information, that means that the thing was pretty high, higher than the hills. It probably didn't try to evade the hills.

Also, I could hear the drone, so how far away would that put it?

thanks men.

Reactions: BangkokFlyBoy
I don't know why people think I didn't look for the drone the the home point. of course I did.
Your screenshot of you "walking all over" does not show you walking around the home point.

Your notion of where the new homepoint is, is wrong. I showed you in an upload where it is

Your notion of where the new homepoint is, is wrong.
It's not a notion. That's where the flight log you posted above shows the home point was last marked.

See row 7393 of the CSV file that's linked in your flight log above.
So the home point is in a different spot than what I thought, I might just be able to find the drone. Thanks. It doesn't look like the drone made it that far, right?

Reactions: HVYMTL
It doesn't look like the drone made it that far, right?
The drone probably safely landed at the home point. It seems you haven't checked there, so that would be the first place to check.

...Also, I could hear the drone, so how far away would that put it?...
It depends on what you were flying, what type of props you were using, wind speed/direction, did you hear it downwind or upwind, how loud it sounded, and how good your hearing is. So a lot of variables but probably within 400'.

I always seem to be a step behind, but a big Thumbswayup to everythign @msinger has said.
Just as an add on, in this graph you can see the flight path of his Mavic (red line) and also the GPS path of the controller (or more correctly, the phone) when he climbing the hill to where he reset the Home Point (blue line).
Anyway, good luck finding it!
I screwed up.PNG

Last edited:
Your notion of where the new homepoint is, is wrong. I showed you in an upload where it is
Trust in our Genius. MORE so than you trust the accuracy of the GPS in your device. It is not uncommon for the GPS on the device to be quite a ways off. This is probably what happened. I bet your drone is right where Msinger told you it was.

Trust in our Genius. MORE so than you trust the accuracy of the GPS in your device. It is not uncommon for the GPS on the device to be quite a ways off. This is probably what happened. I bet your drone is right where Msinger told you it was.
Yes I understand that thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute